Why become a member? ×

2019 Gear Abstinence Challenge (Updated with 'rules')

Sibob

On 01/10/2018 at 17:58, Al Krow said:

You should check out the MB AC 121 Lite, while you're at it. Some of us consider to be the best gigging bass combo in the market today. It's a little spendy compared to the Fender though.

Given the topic of this thread that kind of talk’s not really helping,is it? ;)

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TrevorR said:

Given the topic of this thread that kind of talk’s not really helping,is it? ;)

Haha, but that was a couple of months ago!

My gear larder is now fully stocked and my effects cup runneth over. The undiminished zeal to the cause I now display is that of a true Sibob convert. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

My gear larder is now fully stocked and my effects cup runneth over. The undiminished zeal to the cause I now display is that of a true Sibob convert. 

Converts -  yee beware of the rath which shall be put upon you should you chose to defy the cause and pledge allegiance to the ways of the GAS. 

Winter is coming. 

• Haha 2

My Lakland 44-64 and Noble Pre will be coming in 2019 (doubt the Lakkie will make it from US before Xmas now), but both are fully paid for.

Other than that, totally ready (apart from Mustang gigbag) for the 2019 challenge :)

Si

I did think I was sorted for bass stuff for the immediate future, but I've recently experienced an almost undeniable impulse to get a P bass just so I can have one bass permanently fitted with flats.

Seems like a perfectly sensible and rational idea when I read that back.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Cato said:

I did think I was sorted for bass stuff for the immediate future, but I've recently experienced a almost undeniable impulse to get a P bass just so I can have one bass permanently fitted with flats.

Seems like a perfectly sensible and rational idea when I read that back.

You have 22 days and counting............ 😂

• Like 1

If I sell something, am I allowed to order something that won't turn up until 2020 at the earliest?

I pulled the trigger on a T bird a couple of months ago, and while I love the sound and the way it plays, I confess to feeling like a bit of a Richard playing it on stage. I'm very very sorely tempted by the idea of a bass built for me (ie new, specified and ordered by me, not picked off the wall in the shop). Foolishly looked at the Wal website. Do I need another one? No. Does that make a difference? Hmmm.....................

The rules are:

- During 2019, no ordering and/or no paying for anything bass related. You’re allowed to receive something if you pay for it in 2018.

- String purchases are allowed.

- You’re allowed to replace something that breaks if it can’t be repaired.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Sibob said:

The rules are:

- During 2019, no ordering and/or no paying for anything bass related. You’re allowed to receive something if you pay for it in 2018.

- String purchases are allowed.

- You’re allowed to replace something that breaks if it can’t be repaired.

Si

Damn am I out already on a technicality? I’ve only paid the deposit on my new bass, delivery expected in feb with balance to pay then.... 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bassfan said:

Damn am I out already on a technicality? I’ve only paid the deposit on my new bass, delivery expected in feb with balance to pay then.... 

If you’ve made that commitment before joining this ‘initiative’, then you’re fine......think of it as booking a holiday before starting a new job 😁

Si

• Like 1

I bought my last bass purchases of 2019 last week - Ibanez six string, East pre amp for it, new set of strings & topped up on leads. With one bass I had for sale being collected this week, I'll actually end 2018 with my music account in the black, even taking into account the cost of fuel and wear & tear on the car driving to gigs and rehearsals. Possibly the first time it's ever happened, and it won't be by much, but it's an improvement. With 2 more basses up for sale, I should be able get a good start to 2019 as well.

I saw the OP and thought to myself, nope, no new gear required for 2019, not even strings. 

Feeling happy at that, it dawned on me that I'd actually spent about £3k in 2018, but if you want to count deliveries in the last 365 days, my Lull arrived between Christmas/New Year 2017, that rises to nearly £9k.

Feck.

Edited by NancyJohnson

On 01/10/2018 at 22:53, FinnDave said:

I enjoy buying new basses & other gear, why would I want to deny myself that pleasure? It does nobody any harm, my children are grown up and earn more than I do, we have food on the table and a roof over our heads.

Just think of all those families depending on the income of a breadwinner employed by a music shop who rely on our GAS.

I’m with @FinnDave 100% 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I bought my last bass purchases of 2019 last week - Ibanez six string, East pre amp for it, new set of strings & topped up on leads. With one bass I had for sale being collected this week, I'll actually end 2018 with my music account in the black, even taking into account the cost of fuel and wear & tear on the car driving to gigs and rehearsals. Possibly the first time it's ever happened, and it won't be by much, but it's an improvement. With 2 more basses up for sale, I should be able get a good start to 2019 as well.

What I love about your decades long gear journey, Dave, is that it has finally taken you to the sunny uplands of Ibanez basses, with you pretty much forsaking all else. 

Wisdom comes to us all in the end :)

Edited by Al Krow

I thought I was going to be able to do this. Then I started playing the Warwick Thumbs again after many years of them hanging on the wall after I went to 5-strings, and Mrs Zero said how much she likes the sound of the Thumbs, but I play 5-string in the other two bands so I'd need a 5-string Thumb. Damn.

2 hours ago, tauzero said:

I thought I was going to be able to do this. Then I started playing the Warwick Thumbs again after many years of them hanging on the wall after I went to 5-strings, and Mrs Zero said how much she likes the sound of the Thumbs, but I play 5-string in the other two bands so I'd need a 5-string Thumb. Damn.

You mention Thumb'S' and so if you have more than one, just string one of them BEAD until 2020 ;)

Si

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Al Krow said:

What I love about your decades long gear journey, Dave, is that it has finally taken you to the sunny uplands of Ibanez basses, with you pretty much forsaking all else. 

Wisdom comes to us all in the end :)

I have must have spent a fortune on ever more expensive gear, and now my pair of gigging basses have cost me about £1100 for them both. My shins are red raw from self-administered kicks!