Why become a member? ×

2019 Gear Abstinence Challenge (Updated with 'rules')

Sibob

*EDIT*

Off the back of this becoming more popular than I had anticipated....here are the RULES:

Tier 1 Challenge
During the calendar year of 2019 (01/01/19 - 31/12/19):
- No bass gear purchases/trades whatsoever, be that amps, pedals, basses, accessories.

Tier 2 challenge (should you play other instruments, engage in music production etc)
- As above, but extended to your other musical gear

Allowances in both tiers:
- Strings (sticks, skins, reeds etc)
- Maintenance/setups that only involve work on existing aspects of your bass (ie no purchasing a preamp to add to it)
- If something breaks through no unusual intervention of your own, and is unable to be repaired, you may replace it.
- Educational purchases, ie tutorial books, lessons, anything that furthers your playing is permitted.
- If you have purchased something in 2018, you are able to take delivery of it within 2019.
- If you have put down a deposit on something before committing to this, which then requires a final payment within 2019, that single payment permitted. However you may wish to explore whether you can pay the balance early (if you're a little OCD like me).

I think that about covers it, please also treat this thread as a bit of a 'support group', any funny stories about near misses, discoveries about your current gear that you might not have focused on before, things learned by spending money on learning over gear etc etc etc.

Finally, I would like to say that THIS IS JUST FOR FUN, if someone falls off the wagon, no-one cares. This initially just started out to see whether I can achieve it.....a rather extreme exercise in really appreciating the amazing gear I already have.

*original post*

I've been thinking about this for a month or so, but Al Krow's topic about the difficulty of going for 9 days without a gear purchase has prompted me to start this thread somewhat early, just for fun really.

The setup? I'm setting myself a lofty goal for 2019.......

No gear purchases all year.

You heard me, I've said it here first. NO bass gear purchases for a year!

There are a couple of (what I consider to be reasonable) exceptions to this:

1) If I haven't been able to secure one before Jan (my self imposed deadline), I'll allow myself to buy a decent gig-bag for my Mustang bass.
2) Strings, although I have a decent stash for at least 6 months or longer.
3) If anything should break, that cannot be repaired, I'll allow myself to replace that piece of equipment should it be necessary.

I figure I'll update the thread weekly (as daily may be a bit much with 'nothing purchased' 365 times in the thread haha)

So there it is, my statement of intent.
Up until Jan I have two purchases planned, and one order to arrive:

1) COG Mini 66 - purchased Dec '18
2) Noble Preamp - collecting at NAMM in Jan '19, paid for in Dec '18
3) Lakland US 44-64 Classic - paid for Nov '18

Let's see how I do :)
Anyone want to join in?

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

I’m with you, 100%. I would like the purchase of my Stingray Special to be my last bass related purchase for at least a year. I think I’ve used up my lifetime quota of basses to own :) 

I told my wife that I’d give £100 to charity if I buy anything in the next calendar year, she reminded me that giving £100 to charity may give me a ‘feel good’ factor that helps me justify it. So, I’ve had to add a weekend away for her too.  

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Chiliwailer said:

I told my wife that I’d give £100 to charity if I buy anything in the next calendar year, she reminded me that giving £100 to charity may give me a ‘feel good’ factor that helps me justify it. So, I’ve had to add a weekend away for her too.  

😳 I’m not going that far 😂

• Haha 1

Well, I might be up for a variation, which would be that I would have to end 2019 with the same number of everything - guitars, basses, amps, software even - as I start. Possibly even the same number and to the same value, or maybe with a relatively small (but fixed in advance) budget for trading a couple of things up a bit.

I think my number of stringed things that I will try and stick to is 6. Maybe. Or 7... ish.

Just now, Dad3353 said:

If it would help any of you, a quick PM to Ped asking to be self-banned from the Marketplace would work, I reckon (or would that be cheating..?).
Just sayin'. 9_9

Can he also self ban me from Facebook Marketplace, Facebook groups, gumtree, eBay, other bass/guitar forums, bass direct, andertons, guitar guitar, PMT, the local music shop down the road, other band members selling stuff and the free ads in the back of magazines pls?

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Bridgehouse said:

Can he also self ban me from Facebook Marketplace, Facebook groups, gumtree, eBay, other bass/guitar forums, bass direct, andertons, guitar guitar, PMT, the local music shop down the road, other band members selling stuff and the free ads in the back of magazines pls?

Just send him your credit card if you're that desperate. :|

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

If it would help any of you, a quick PM to Ped asking to be self-banned from the Marketplace would work, I reckon (or would that be cheating..?).
Just sayin'. 9_9

Errrrrr.... definitely cheating. 😂 I already have cold sweats...

40 minutes ago, bassfan said:

I’ll join you Si.

I want to secure a Status this year or at least get an order in before Dec, so aside from some strings next year I’ll try and be good. 🙏🏻 😇 

see, I'm reading this not so much as going cold turkey for a year no matter your GAS, as using it as an excuse to bring forward your Status purchase

Good work

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oooo, way more people up for this than I expected haha.
I think to keep the thread clean, we stick to the exact premise of no purchases other than strings/unrepairable breakages, (sorry @adamg67, although that basically means you're free to expand the collection again haha).

So, myself, @bassfan & @Chiliwailer currently. Nice little support group 😂.

Si

Just now, Sibob said:

Oooo, way more people up for this than I expected haha.
I think to keep the thread clean, we stick to the exact premise of no purchases other than strings/unrepairable breakages, (sorry @adamg67, although that basically means you're free to expand the collection again haha).

Si

I'm going to watch with interest.. you guys are better men than me!!

Just now, Sibob said:

Si

Ah man, this little anti-GAS circle is perfect, I can almost feel my shoulders relaxing already. 

I’m sure you’ll agree, it’s been great to have bought and sold loads of basses to check out and jam on, but sometimes a cycle needs a break...or dare I say it...an end ;) 

3 minutes ago, Sibob said:

So, myself, @bassfan & @Chiliwailer currently. Nice little support grou😂.

I suggest some kind of venue to meet in, maybe mid week to form said support group, ring of chairs in a village hall somewhere to discuss all the nice shiny things you’ve drooled over that week and asked your partner to buy on your behalf.....😂

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, bassfan said:

I suggest some kind of venue to meet in, maybe mid week to form said support group, ring of chairs in a village hall somewhere to discuss all the nice shiny things you’ve drooled over that week and asked your partner to buy on your behalf.....😂

We could also chuck our car keys into a bowl and take home each other’s bass for a night or two. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Full disclosure: I should also mention that I have the will power of a wet lettuce when it comes to basses and bass gear. However my longest “dry” period was 2 years so it’s achievable. 

I will also caveat my previous statement by adding that if that order doesn’t manage to go into Status this year, then it will next year!