Why become a member? ×

2019 Gear Abstinence Challenge (Updated with 'rules')

Sibob

I managed until the middle of November, 10 and a half months, 87.5% of the year, and then just blew it with a pair of Adam A7X monitors and a Barefaced Big Baby 2 cab in the space of 2 days. The only minor positive is that they are both upgrades for things I already have that will be sold (Adam A3Xs and a Markbass 151p). So I won't actually own any more stuff in the end, but still a complete bust as far as this goes.

Mind you, if I hadn't bought them I would have broken another rule, which is that any money you get back from HMRC isn't real money and must be spent on gear.

Edited by adamg67

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Merton said:

I totally failed. As in, devastatingly.

3 basses

3 amps

2 cabs

1 pedal

1 pedalboard

😳

I need help.

Sadly not from me - 6 basses, 3 amps, 1 cab, 1 pedal, 2 wireless thingies. 

I did sell some stuff, mind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

Sadly not from me - 6 basses, 3 amps, 1 cab, 1 pedal, 2 wireless thingies. 

I did sell some stuff, mind.

Technically I didn't fail, I just didn't take part, so:

2 basses, 2 amps (one now sold), 1 cab (but I built that one), 1 Chapman stick, 1 Linnstrument,  1 yamaha reface keyboard, 1 effects pedal, 2 multi-fx, 2 wireless thingies (1 pair), a load of strings, a load of cables.

I sold stuff too, but you can see why I didn't take part!

I do intend to end up with less stuff at the end of 2020 than the end of 2019, that is my next year goal. Not that I don't intend to get stuff, just not as much and to sell more. And be more decided on what I was getting.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

So the results are in!

@Sibob - do we know if anyone who signed up actually made it through successfully the whole of 2019 without any gear purchases?!

Certainly wasn't me, I bought a cab and a jazz bass. I had sold an identical cab and an identical jazz bass in the first quarter of the year, though, so technically they were only lost and replaced...

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

So the results are in!

@Sibob - do we know if anyone who signed up actually made it through successfully the whole of 2019 without any gear purchases?!

I believe a few people, however I wager that those that managed it were probably a year or two into their abstinence anyway lol.

Si

14 minutes ago, Sibob said:

I believe a few people, however I wager that those that managed it were probably a year or two into their abstinence anyway lol.

Si

Life’s too short, buy more gear you absolutely need 😂

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

Si

Not in my case Si. Previously, I've bought tons of stuff which is no different to many people. A year off was good. It gave me time to assess what gear needs I have and plan ahead for this year. 

• Like 1

I only bought a second hand compressor, for not very much at all, so am treating it as a semi-victory considering how my previous form has been... I rather thought of the exercise as motivation to just be happy with the stuff I already have, and in that respect I feel I have succeeded, and am grateful for the initiative!

I also started in a new band, so it turns out gear acquisition has nothing to do with being a more active player for me! Now, maybe I need another 1x12, or even a 4x10...

• 2 weeks later...