Why become a member? ×

2019 Gear Abstinence Challenge (Updated with 'rules')

Sibob

Having dipped out on a technical trade early on I dived head first into a resounding pool of fail after rediscovering the joys of 4 string basses - egged on by the fact that I can, against expectation, happily swap between 4 and 5.  So my 5 string Dr Jekyll is still in the game but my 4 string Mr Hyde is an embarrassment.

I’d like to be considered for the consolation prize please...

I failed because I downsized my home setup into a Helix Stomp and made a few quid along the way. 

But, it’s been 1 year and 10 days since I bought a bass, I’ve sold two this year and now only have 1. 

Got to be worth something eh? 🤣

Count me in for 2020! 

Well it’s well documented (I think?!) that I hopped off the wagon with great gusto. Life events meant that I have leaned somewhat on gear acquisition for some well earned happiness (that’s dramatic, all is fine....generally).

As such, i’m well and truly out, but I did 6 months, so it was a good little exercise :)

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1

I've been clean for pretty much a calendar year - since a bit of a pedal splurge back in September 2018 (EHX Bass Clone to replace a dead Boss Chorus, Eden Californiwah that was going at a price I couldn't refuse and Palmer variable voltage power supply because I hadn't clocked that the flippin' Eden ran at 15V). No plans for any more purchases either so looking good (/bad) for the rest of the year too...

PS I just checked, last bass purchase was back in August 2015 as far as I can make out.

Edited by TrevorR

I'm still going - but may have unwittingly disqualified myself (I sold an unwanted cab, briefly acquiring a replacement which wasn't right and which went back straight away.)

Guess that breaks the rule huh?

I don't have any new gear, tho I did physically buy something at one point.

Oh and some speaker stands, and a little spare PA desk.

Yup forget it - I've blown it.

On 20/05/2019 at 14:09, Twigman said:

I succeeded at this in 2018 and plan to in 2019.

I haven't even bought any strings since 2017.

My EBMM Sterling cured my bass GAS. (2016 order 2017 delivery)

My amp GAS was extinguished in 2015 ( TecAmp and barefaced )

Pedals? board unchanged last 3 years - no plans

Well it seems I've failed

I got tempted by an ErnieBall guitar cable in black and green https://www.thomann.de/gb/ernie_ball_instrument_cable_b_g.htm

and a bottle of lemon oil

SO - I'm out 'til next year

I didn't sign up for this... but gear so far this year three sets of strings. D'Addario 5 tape-wounds for my fretted acoustic, birthday present from my band. D'Addario 4 half-rounds, passed on by a lovely BC-er who didn't want them. Leading to Bass Centre Elite 5 half-rounds for my main squeeze, nothing wrong except mis-matched silk wrapping on the B string, which when I gently queried they refunded the purchase price of the set. So money spent on gear so far £0. 

Only likely purchase before the end of the year is an Ibanez Mikro for my 5yo grandson - he's obsessed with guitars,  and the sooner I win him over to the dark side, the better. Might also postpone the day when he steals my Jazz Aerodyne 🙂 

Seriously, I'm trying to really work out and develop the different sounds and feels of my current hard core of six basses, thus trying out different strings to suit what I want to do with each. I might well end up taking more than one bass to a gig depending on the setlist... 

2 hours ago, TorturedSaints said:

Although I did buy the NS Wav 4 and a Fishman preamp, I did give a 5 string bass away today to a friend's son.  Does that get me back in?  😀

Hah! Reminds me a little of the practice of 'buying indulgences', which resulted in some chap nailing his theses to a church door. But he was more of a Luther than a luthier I understand, so probably unlikely to result in similar reformation of your behaviour by Sibob 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 1 month later...

Still in. I think. A few pairs of strings - Daddario tapes for the Flea Jazz and last week EB Slinkies for the P Bass but got the wrong ones! Should have got super slinkies - so they are off and TI flats back on. 

Did get a Blackstar McFly thing but as gift through subscription with BGM. So doesn’t count.