Why become a member? ×

2019 Gear Abstinence Challenge (Updated with 'rules')

Sibob

2 hours ago, TorturedSaints said:

Funnily enough, I was thinking of selling mine . . . although it doesn't have the snazzy Eden bag.  Enjoy!

I have hankered after another Eden head since selling my WT-550 ten years ago. It hasn’t disappointed me, love these things. So simple but such an amazing core tone.

Just made my first music related purchase of the year - a set of strings for my back-up six string as it has been hard to keep in tune recently, which rather negates it's use as a back-up! As usual, the bass will be taken round to Dave Smart's for the string change and set up (it's not been looked at since I bought it last year, still has the original strings on as well!)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oZZma

The Rusty doesn't count, it was planned since 2018

The Earthquaker fuzz was a steal so it doesn't count either, does it? :laugh1: 

1.jpg.0717884c6da52f7879772f876f208fce.jpgPedal_EQD_CloverHoof.thumb.jpg.4daf7867a0b841de65a9ddeb282e3448.jpg

Edited by oZZma

Pictures of FX pedals always remind me of the displays of fishing lures in big Finnish shops like Prisma & Citymarket - they certainly lured something in, but it was customers, not fish, who were hooked on them.

Edited by FinnDave

Advice needed: how does the following fit in with the rules?

I've just been sent a substantial cheque for an insurance claim for a basement in our old house that got flooded a while ago. The basement contained some music stuff amongst all the other bits that got damaged: an old electric guitar, cables, a music stand, some music books etc. No bass was lost as such, but general music stuff was definitely lost.

So, let's say for the sake of argument, I used the insurance money to buy a new bass, let's say, I don't know, a JMJ Mustang which I may or may not have been eyeing up for the past few months, for example. Strictly as a replacement for all the items which were lost in the flood damage, of course. Kind of. 

Would that mean I broke the abstinence rules? 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, project_c said:

Advice needed: how does the following fit in with the rules?

I've just been sent a substantial cheque for an insurance claim for a basement in our old house that got flooded a while ago. The basement contained some music stuff amongst all the other bits that got damaged: an old electric guitar, cables, a music stand, some music books etc. No bass was lost as such, but general music stuff was definitely lost.

So, let's say for the sake of argument, I used the insurance money to buy a new bass, let's say, I don't know, a JMJ Mustang which I may or may not have been eyeing up for the past few months, for example. Strictly as a replacement for all the items which were lost in the flood damage, of course. Kind of. 

Would that mean I broke the abstinence rules? 

Yeah, you’re gone haha.

Don’t worry, I think i’ll be gone by the end of the week haha....:and I started the thing lol.

Si

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Yeah, you’re gone haha.

Don’t worry, I think i’ll be gone by the end of the week haha....:and I started the thing lol.

Si

Welcome to the growing circle of failures Si (I officially failed before I started). You can maybe be our honorary president. Free supply of curried chicken available as part of the role. 

• Like 1

Does it count if i buy a bass for someone else? Got my lad a little Tanglewood bass last month, and collecting it from my dad in a couple of weeks.

How do I stand? I must confess i bought a secondhand strap too, to replace one that was literally falling apart.

I'm on shaky ground - its only finances that's keeping me in check at the mo!

1 hour ago, bassbiscuits said:

Does it count if i buy a bass for someone else? Got my lad a little Tanglewood bass last month, and collecting it from my dad in a couple of weeks.

How do I stand? I must confess i bought a secondhand strap too, to replace one that was literally falling apart.

I'm on shaky ground - its only finances that's keeping me in check at the mo!

Buying a gift for someone else is fine. Replacing a broken piece of kit is fine :)

Si

I have been a lurking abstainer, and had been doing really well (having completely resisted Red Panda GAS for what feels like a year) until earlier this week when a near-mint in-box 1st ed DOD Milkbox turned up locally for a great price. Having never ever used compression, this was an irresistible way to start, and in turn, fail...

That said, if I can maintain this purchase rate for the rest of the year it will feel like a personal victory! Although maybe I'm allowed that Tensor now...

Ok, that's me disgraced and out of the running haha.
It's been a slightly tough start to the year, and quite frankly I allowed myself this purchase to add a bit of fun back in :)

That said, as I mentioned at the start, and as a few others have mentioned, as an exercise in restraint it's been good. 5 full months of zero bass purchases is good going for me! 
So as it stands, I have one bass incoming and one (most likely two soon) basses up for sale, and so I now fall into the optimistic (but wrong) "does that still count" group of us 😂

Who's still in?

Si

Edited by Sibob

I succeeded at this in 2018 and plan to in 2019.

I haven't even bought any strings since 2017.

My EBMM Sterling cured my bass GAS. (2016 order 2017 delivery)

My amp GAS was extinguished in 2015 ( TecAmp and barefaced )

Pedals? board unchanged last 3 years - no plans

I'm a bit late to the party here, but i'm doing OK for 2019 (compared to previous years)

Picked up a Yamaha RBX775 and an OLP MM22 on eBay within 2 weeks of each other for very good prices. The RBX was to 'replace' the one I've had since 2002 and effectively undo the custom defret, refin etc. OLP because I like 2 pickup Stingrays, but haven't the pocket for one.

I then sold my Dingwall NG3, as quite frankly it's 'too good' for my needs as a bedroom bassist and part time band member. I now have money back in my pocket and reassigned to a wedding.

I went through a bit of amp GAS a few weeks ago, then just picked up a Zoom B3N 2nd hand for £80, plenty to fix the cleanliness of my Trace Elliot Elf there. Sold a 7 string guitar too, don't miss it.

The GAS demon is a bit lost, it wants to encourage me to buy stuff, but there is nothing out there I actually want, let alone need, let alone afford.

My GAS solution as such, is have a few modestly priced instruments that are very different, the expensive ones give me anxiety and I grow to dislike them due to the inherent wasted capital.

Edited by Machines
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oZZma

The longer the wait, the bigger the disappointment. It already happened to me twice (with gear. With records it happened countless times...) :|

On 20/05/2019 at 13:55, FinnDave said:

I'm still in, one set of strings (definitely essential, the old set were shot) bought this year, nothing else (yet!).

Shouldn't you be out buying Alembic basses or something? 😄 

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Shouldn't you be out buying Alembic basses or something? 😄 

Some of us got in before the hammer came down and don't have to paint ourselves blue and rock in the foetal position worrying how much Alembics might have went up in price by next year.

• 2 months later...

To resurrect this topic, I wish to register a personal 'FAIL'.

At the beginning of the year, nothing really was happening musically with DarkSky and I wasn't feeling the love for making music.  However, I happened to see an ad on local Gumtree and have joined up with a cracking piano player who wants to play scandinavian jazz, stuff like Esbjörn Svensson Trio and Lars Daniellson pieces.  I have been really enjoying trying to learn how to play jazz and also use my fretless (which prompted my thread asking about brighter flatwounds through my BB800 and One100).  However, I have to confess to a greater fail than just buying a new set of Chromes, but I have bought (via BC) a NS Wav 4 EUB.  So that's an epic fail for the GAS Challenge for me, however on the plus side, I've got my musical mojo back.

No doubt those of you on the EUB forum here will tire of my questions as I've never played one before . . . sorry in advance . . . and retiring from the GAS challenge 🙂

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Right time to 'FESS UP peeps: so who is still in the running since 1 Jan with no new gear and who has come crashing out?

Despite Sibob finding inspiration for this thread from my inability to go 9 days without a bout of GAS, I sensibly pulled out just before the start of the year but kinda feel ready to play now. Bit like 'Just a Minute' with 15 seconds left on the clock! Besides I've managed to follow quite a strict one in one out policy this year: I've managed to match my net increase of basses with an exactly identical number being moved on of...

...used bass pedals  🤣

Edited by Al Krow