Why become a member? ×

2019 Gear Abstinence Challenge (Updated with 'rules')

Sibob

2 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Presumably you've paid a small deposit on each and according to 'The Roolz', the final payment on each is allowed. I still think paying 90% of the cost of three brand new instruments within the 'Abstinence Period' is sailing quite close to the wind.

Roolz is roolz though I guess 🤐

Two were completely paid off last year, one i still have to make a final payment :)

• Like 1

Just now, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

👍 - whatcha gettin?

Zoot Funkmeister 

ACG Finn

Conway Instruments Taranis.

There are build diaries for all of them in the relevant place, the Zoot is almost done and I reckon the Taranis is probably 2 months off roughly :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Well, I’ve only bought strings. They’re just very expensive and come with a free bass ;) .

Ok I'm (nearly) back in then, I've also bought two expensive sets of strings, but at least I got 11. Thank goodness for the two free basses that came with them!

But I guess the pedals I got to vary the tone of the strings and the cab to listen to them through are a little harder to explain away... 😄 

Edited by Al Krow

9 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Ok I'm (nearly) back in then, I've also bought two expensive sets of strings, but at least I got 11. Thank goodness for the two free basses that came with them!

But I guess the pedals I got to vary the tone of the strings and the cab to listen to them through are a little harder to explain away... 😄 

You bought batteries that came with free pedals. As for the cab, sorry buddy, the jig is up. 😎

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

You bought batteries that came with free pedals. As for the cab, sorry buddy, the jig is up. 😎

But it's a Fearless cab (my first) so worth dancing a jig over methinks? :)

I power my entire board with a MXR PSU and no batteries were supplied with the pedals, but I like your thinking!  

Completely gratuitous pic of my 11 new (very expensive) strings and the free basses that were supplied with them in the packaging:

Basses - new in 2019.jpg

...oh just had a thought(!) There is just one 12" speaker on the new cab and I did actually get rid of another cab with four 10" speakers so I'm actually 3 speakers down, so that could work?

Shame about the pedal batteries though...😂

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 16/04/2019 at 09:13, Al Krow said:

But it's a Fearless cab (my first) so worth dancing a jig over methinks? :)

I power my entire board with a MXR PSU and no batteries were supplied with the pedals, but I like your thinking!  

Completely gratuitous pic of my 11 new (very expensive) strings and the free basses that were supplied with them in the packaging:

Basses - new in 2019.jpg

...oh just had a thought(!) There is just one 12" speaker on the new cab and I did actually get rid of another cab with four 10" speakers so I'm actually 3 speakers down, so that could work?

Shame about the pedal batteries though...😂

Ah,   a Squier V1,  I had one but found it a little on the heavy side,  p/exed it for a Musicman silhouette bass 6,  a lot smaller , same scale, E to e, I prefer it but it was twice the price.  If you get chance to try one let us know what you think , might be more gas though, I blame the beans  !!20180106_104134.thumb.jpg.1d0341bf7581f88056e66db38f66a149.jpg

On 18/04/2019 at 20:41, Al Krow said:

@Dem Jolie-blues agreed the Squier is surprisingly heavy! But it's a full length bass even if it's a shorter 30" scale. 

I'm guessing the Silhouette is a little more stumpy? 

Yes,  look at the placement of the  bridge  and trem arm tailpiece on the Squier  versus the Musican without that hardware,  makes it more of a guitar, but an octave  down,

20180106_104407.jpg

I've just realised I'm still in, nearly a third of the way through the year and not so much as a plectrum. 

Ah pants, I've just realised I brought a volume knob for my Yammy BB, but it is so I can sell it so does that even count? 

Edited by Maude

Guest oZZma

I'm not looking at bass gear right now (I have all I needed except a pre-amp I already pre-ordered), but I have GAS for my drummer's cymbals. :facepalm::laugh1:

Edited by oZZma

Guest oZZma
5 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Except, what would you do with just the cymbals? You'd need to get stands for them, and then GAS for the rest of the kit. Just sayin'... :P:D

It's not for me :biggrin: I have the kind of GAS like "WE (YOU) need a China" :biggrin:

He will end up hating me, LOL

Edited by oZZma

I've failed. Finally got fed up with the level of fiddling required with digital and have pedal versions of the things i use most coming from amazon...!  Fortunately just a decent compressor (Electro Harmonix bass preacher) and a joyo california sound (that i had but sold..!).  And there was the speaker replacement in the amp. But i consider that maintenance... :D

And the Zoom B3n is up for sale on the effects forum, so that cancels it out, right? :D

39 minutes ago, operative451 said:

I've failed. Finally got fed up with the level of fiddling required with digital and have pedal versions of the things i use most coming from amazon...!  Fortunately just a decent compressor (Electro Harmonix bass preacher) and a joyo california sound (that i had but sold..!).  And there was the speaker replacement in the amp. But i consider that maintenance... :D

And the Zoom B3n is up for sale on the effects forum, so that cancels it out, right? :D

Don't do it...don't do it...don't do it! Don't get rid of your beloved Zoom B3n! 😂

Unless you're gonna be replacing it with the Zoom B1 four / x 😉

Must admit for £70 I really fancy getting that piece of kit as a neat and amazing value headphone amp, with the same DSP power as the B3N; and for another £15 getting the X-rated version with an expression pedal!**

(Btw no pics, even the cut down one of your B3n is showing on your FS thread?)

**ok I guess I need to self-declare as being a gear abstinence troll after that (and several other) comments on this thread. Soz Sibob. Not sure what the punishment is. Probably need to buy an Alembic bass or something...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Must admit for £70 I really fancy getting that piece of kit as a neat and amazing value headphone amp, with the same DSP power as the B3N; and for another £15 getting the X-rated version with an expression pedal!**

I was tempted by that as a stand alone pedal when I am not using my pedalboard, but I still have my B3.

13 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I was tempted by that as a stand alone pedal when I am not using my pedalboard, but I still have my B3.

Can you recall when the B3 first came out?

I know it predates the Zoom MS-60B with which it shares the older chip set. I got my (first!) MS-60B when they first came out in early 2013...seemed like a lot of pedal back then, particularly for the size but feels a bit like ancient history now with advent of the Stomp - which I must work out how to switch on some time soon 😄

Edited by Al Krow

40 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Don't do it...don't do it...don't do it! Don't get rid of your beloved Zoom B3n! 😂

Snipped/

(Btw no pics, even the cut down one of your B3n is showing on your FS thread?)

Boo, that's annoying! Oh well, we all know what it looks like! I'll fix it when I'm near my computer...

Well, if no-one buys it, it's bizarrely not bad as a guitar processor,  so... :D

25 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Can you recall when the B3 first came out?

I remember they were very popular around here.

25 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I know it predates the Zoom MS-60B with which it shares the older chip set. I got my (first!) MS-60B when they first came out in early 2013...seemed like a lot of pedal back then, particularly for the size but feels a bit like ancient history now with advent of the Stomp - which I must work out how to switch on some time soon 😄

to me it doesn't. A bit of a better quality here, a few better graphics and ease of use, seems like part of the same path to me. And the Voicelab I had before that, pretty much the same.

I have the helix HX, fantastic for guitar, not necessarily blown away by it though. I guess for recording it is good, for gigging, not really much difference (not the stomp, I couldn't really gig that so easily due to the buttons). The only place it really does shine is the looper, having individual buttons for everything and it seems to really work well for that. If it wasn't for that I would probably put it back up for sale and stick with the B3 for live use, and for recording i have Bias Amp and Bias FX on the mac, which are fantastic. 

On 22/04/2019 at 11:32, operative451 said:

Boo, that's annoying! Oh well, we all know what it looks like! I'll fix it when I'm near my computer...

Well, if no-one buys it, it's bizarrely not bad as a guitar processor,  so... :D

Ok wot happened? Up for sale, then not, then up, then not. It seems to me that the lady is for turning! 😁

(PS right decision, btw, you won't get anything else of similar capability for £80!)

Edited by Al Krow

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ok wot happened? Up for sale, then not, then up, then not. It seems to me that the lady is for turning! 😁

(PS right decision, btw you won't get anything else of similar capability for £80!)

Basically i 'replaced' it with analog pedals, couldn't really tell the difference, and so the pedals are going back to Amazon! :D I seem to get on better with guitar effects, so if anyone knows a way of hacking the firmware so it thinks its a G3, i have some black spray paint handy,... ;D

Edited by operative451
  • Like 1