Why become a member? ×

2019 Gear Abstinence Challenge (Updated with 'rules')

Sibob

4 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Yes, I think you’re right to a degree. If there is zero fallout from the financial side of the materialistic gain, then there is little to worry about. Occasionally I have to fight the urge to do the sums and figure what it has cost over the years, but I see little point as it doesn’t really change anything. I know I have the ‘collectors bug’ and manage it in my own way, but I’m sure it’s different for each person or perhaps how we rationalise what we do is different from person to person. 

Never add it all up... I look at the walls of cds/dvds and blue rays sometimes and wonder why I don’t have an AC cobra yet...sorry I meant mortgage paid off  😂

• Haha 2

Well, I'm still in, and it's definitely important that I don't spend anything on gear, because I've just made a mockery of the whole thing by buying this:

IMG_1139_sm.JPG.1f8104661c44754fc9fe470ea692b13d.JPG

and also booking it in to have all the race parts swapped over from my other mini.

So it seems like if I save money on one thing, that just creates a kind of pressure that makes me spend it on something different. If I'd have sworn not to spend any money on cars presumably I would now be negotiating the purchase of a nice Gyrocopter or something similarly daft.

• Haha 3

I wasn't in anyway, as I'm planning some experiments with strings this year, but my band (after last night's gig) seem to be heading for the collective purchase of at least a small mixer and some monitors. The good thing about that is that we've reached a level where we need them 🙂 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

I didn't sign up, but out of interest would i have just been thrown out of the pack?  I just bought a guitar pedal - specifically for guitar, not for bass (sorry if this has already been covered)

You would have failed the Tier 2 challenge (don’t buy any music gear), but still on for Tier 1 (don’t buy any bass gear).

That said, you’re on thin ice if you can use said pedal with bass ;)

Si

12 hours ago, Sibob said:

You would have failed the Tier 2 challenge (don’t buy any music gear), but still on for Tier 1 (don’t buy any bass gear).

That said, you’re on thin ice if you can use said pedal with bass ;)

Si

Thanks Si - nice to know the level I’m failing at

technically it could be used for bass, in the sense that any pedal can be, but it’s a pretty niche treble boost to use as an extra distortion stage going into a Tubescreamer. Unlikely to find it’s way on to my bass pedalboard...

I’m ok if I don’t try it until 2020, right?

Edited by Monkey Steve

I could have joined the challenge because the cash I've lived off this past 13 months just ran out. So buying new gear has suddenly become impossible. 

Then I discovered the joy of trading. Guilt free GAS satisfaction. No money changing hands. 

I'd have failed royally anyway - the money ran out because I bought an amp I couldn't afford and didn't need.

I am so much safer poor.

19 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

I'd argue every bassist needs an SVT rig in their life :)

With a complimentary fork lift truck of course (I think Thomann have a buy-one-get-a-fork-lift-truck-free offer on at the start of April to shift some old SVT stock...)

• Haha 2

Well I've just ordered what I think will be the last of my personal 'allowances' to myself set out last year, a decent gig-bag for my Mustang bass.
If it fulfils the need, then that is properly it for the year, scary stuff! lol

Si

On 01/02/2019 at 15:32, adamg67 said:

Well, I'm still in, and it's definitely important that I don't spend anything on gear, because I've just made a mockery of the whole thing by buying this:

IMG_1139_sm.JPG.1f8104661c44754fc9fe470ea692b13d.JPG

and also booking it in to have all the race parts swapped over from my other mini.

Ooh !,  1275 or 1301 cc  ?,  excellent  Minilites,   got an LSD in there ?,  maybe a bag-tank for the fuel ?, go on, give us some specs for when its sorted please

Edited by Dem Jolie-blues

PS to put some colour on my cheeky comment above, two things:

a) the Zoom B3n is probably the best value multifx on the market today bar none. It's a brilliant piece of kit for the money. 

b) But I never really rated its octave capability and have used a dedicated octave pedal down and up (in my case the Valeton OC-10 and Digitech Mosaic respectively). Better, tighter tracking and less glitchy than the B3N. 

Edited by Al Krow

Possibly partial redemption - the set of strings I most want (5 D'Addario black tape-wounds) is coming my way as a birthday present from my wonderful band mates next week 🙂  

Does it count as abstinence if you're asked what you want as a present and it's given to you? GAS fulfilment without spending money? 🙂 

9 hours ago, josie said:

Possibly partial redemption - the set of strings I most want (5 D'Addario black tape-wounds) is coming my way as a birthday present from my wonderful band mates next week 🙂  

Does it count as abstinence if you're asked what you want as a present and it's given to you? GAS fulfilment without spending money? 🙂 

Gifts are allowed if they’re unsolicited (however you are allowed to state a preference if asked). However, strings are allowed regardless, as they’re a consumable.

Si