Why become a member? ×

2019 Gear Abstinence Challenge (Updated with 'rules')

Sibob

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/01/2019 at 14:48, Al Krow said:

Yes but the thought occurred in 2018 and it's not PJ's fault that you didn't get the message until just now, so technically I suspect it would be ok... 😁

I'm cashing in the 'thought occurred in 2018' pass!  Gear4music had a good offer for a open box Q\Strip that I didn't want to pass up.  I'm declaring myself still in!

So far I've failed miserably to fail.

Sold three things so far this year and managed to buy nothing that's "not allowed" (I'm assuming a padded case for an amp, so that I can gig it, doesn't count, right?).

Can't even succeed at failing. Must try harder.

Edited by Al Krow

13 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

What broke you this time?

Had one of these years ago but made little or no sense with a preamp in the bass...I’ve got a lot of passive stuff going on at the moment and the band are starting to form a sound as it were and want to dial something in with this.

37AD11D4-708C-4EFA-9CF1-273CA2996CA9.jpeg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

I'm not going into withdrawal yet so I guess I'm okay for the moment. I might need a pedalboard if one of my projects starts gigging more after April, but that's a long way away.

Hmmm - does a pedalboard = accessory? 

What about a padded case for an amp?

Should they be "permitted" items?

Who is now actually still left in the game apart from you and Sibob?

Tbf these are clearly all important questions on a par with such Qs as "what is the meaning of life?"

• Haha 1

Ok... I’m out. I honestly have no will power.

@Al Krow wafted temptation in my face today and I walked away with his pedal board.

I’m also looking to buy 2 new pedals.....and an amp. Then I’m done for the rest of 2019. I think.  

Edited by bassfan
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, bassfan said:

@Al Krow wafted temptation in my face today (in the form of Tesco Bourbon creams) and I walked away with his (spare) pedal board (he has two others that are being fully utilised).

I'm also looking to buy 2 new pedals.....and an amp. Then I’m done for the rest of 2019. I think.  

Fixed.

4 minutes ago, bassfan said:

Ok... I’m out. I honestly have no will power.

Agreed. But will power is over-rated.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Hmmm - does a pedalboard = accessory? 

What about a padded case for an amp?

Should they be "permitted" items?

Who is now actually still left in the game apart from you and Sibob?

Tbf these are clearly all important questions on a par with such Qs as "what is the meaning of life?"

I guess I'm lucky. I've acquired most things that I could use already. Willpower is overrated. 

However, if myself and Si are the only ones left, that makes me laugh. 

1 hour ago, Wolverinebass said:

I guess I'm lucky. I've acquired most things that I could use already. Willpower is overrated. 

However, if myself and Si are the only ones left, that makes me laugh. 

I’m still in if pedals and amps are exempt. 😂 

Edited by bassfan
  • Haha 2

My personal goal was to not spend money.  I'm still on track as long as I stick to selling before buying.

Now I reckon if I sell my favourite kid on the black market I could probably raise enough for a Fodera, maybe just enough for a Squier selling one of the others.

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Haha 1

I’m still on zero spend....but my Lakland is in customs and my Noble gets picked up in LA a week on Thursday.....so as I said, January isn’t really a challenge currently lol.

Actually, it’s been quite a relief to not think about gear! Been cracking on with recording for Jocee’s new EP, with the Mustang....but might redo it with the new Lakkie.

Si

1 hour ago, PJ-Bassist said:

My personal goal was to not spend money.  I'm still on track as long as I stick to selling before buying.

Now I reckon if I sell my favourite kid on the black market I could probably raise enough for a Fodera, maybe just enough for a Squier selling one of the others.

That's entirely the wrong approach. If you make it your two least favourite, that's a win-win situation.

• Haha 2

I'm still in, I really have no excuse for buying anything else (other than plain old GAS) so I'm going to stick at it. Been a tough couple of weeks though, because I'm apparently not bright enough to stop looking at stuff even though I can't buy it.

Edited by adamg67

On 01/10/2018 at 18:13, Marvin said:

I shan't be joining in on this. I haven't bought any gear (bar a set of strings) for...ages. So long in fact I can't remember. I think the  last time I bought anything was over 2 years ago, that was a bass. So, it's time I treated myself :D 

Well, as shown I was fully prepared to not join in. However, I've hit a snag. My band seems to have gone into hibernation and as such buying gear, even to treat myself, would be a waste of time, because it simply wouldn't get used. I could end up buying nothing all year by default. 😮

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

Well, as shown I was fully prepared to not join in. However, I've hit a snag. My band seems to have gone into hibernation and as such buying gear, even to treat myself, would be a waste of time, because it simply wouldn't get used. I could end up buying nothing all year by default. 😮

Surely something new and shiny will help you through the disappointment? 

• Like 2