Why become a member? ×

2019 Gear Abstinence Challenge (Updated with 'rules')

Sibob

Wow, leather plectrums? That is.......niche lol. I guess, if you’re a pick player, then it’s a consumable....and if not, you need one to practice the technique. What it’s made from is your own business 😂

In other news, my paid-for-in-2018 Lakland is ready, so will ship in the next day or so apparently, yay!

Si

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sibob said:

n other news, my paid-for-in-2018 Lakland is ready, so will ship in the next day or so apparently, yay!

Congrats!! Get some pics up when it arrives 😃 still waiting on a date for my status. 🥺

• Like 2

Just now, walshy said:

Hope it’s soon dude 🤘

So do I mate! Although to be fair they have said it likely to be mid Feb, what’s another 40 days 11 hours and 36 minutes... not that I’m counting. 😂 Still doesn’t mean the Shukers going anywhere had a few nice comments about its tone and look over the Xmas gigs 👍🏻

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bassfan said:

So do I mate! Although to be fair they have said it likely to be mid Feb, what’s another 40 days 11 hours and 36 minutes... not that I’m counting. 😂 Still doesn’t mean the Shukers going anywhere had a few nice comments about its tone and look over the Xmas gigs 👍🏻

Excellent stuff mate. It’s a killer bass for sure! Finally got my holy grail bass in sight, hence the huge cull of stuff. I’ll send pics when it’s here ( it’s not a jazz😉😂)

• Like 1

Just now, walshy said:

Excellent stuff mate. It’s a killer bass for sure! Finally got my holy grail bass in sight, hence the huge cull of stuff. I’ll send pics when it’s here ( it’s not a jazz😉😂)

Ohhh nice one!! Let me guess... it’s a P 😂👍🏻

• Like 1

On 19/12/2018 at 22:17, Sibob said:

Regarding trades, it’s still seeking and acquiring new gear, it’s not necessarily about the money :).

Trades remain illegal ;)  

Si

Great idea. But for better or worse a luthier friend just gave me a new bass a couple of weeks ago, which I never asked for, and I can't see waiting a whole year to get a bag for it. Or_wink.gif

7 hours ago, Sibob said:

Wow, leather plectrums? That is.......niche lol. I guess, if you’re a pick player, then it’s a consumable....and if not, you need one to practice the technique. What it’s made from is your own business 😂

In other news, my paid-for-in-2018 Lakland is ready, so will ship in the next day or so apparently, yay!

Si

and don't forget felt too! :)

9 hours ago, Sibob said:

Si

1 hour ago, steve-bbb said:

and don't forget felt too! :)

99% pick player but trying to get away from the 'click' and thinner sounding G string. Having a bit of an experimental period at the moment. I recently got some felt picks, which i love the tone of, but are a bit slippery to hold.

And yeah, maybe i should just practice with my fingers more 🙂

Love Laklands. Ive had 4 in total, but never a USA one. I even have a JO4 neck at home that i sometimes put on my Fender style basses.

Edited by dave_bass5

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

99% pick player but trying to get away from the 'click' and thinner sounding G string. Having a bit of an experimental period at the moment. I recently got some felt picks, which i love the tone of, but are a bit slippery to hold.

And yeah, maybe i should just practice with my fingers more 🙂

Love Laklands. Ive had 4 in total, but never a USA one. I even have a JO4 neck at home that i sometimes put on my Fender style basses.

They're great, this is my  2nd USA Lakland (I have a custom 44-94 passive P/J as well), and my 3rd Lakland in the stable along with my Skyline 55-01. I've had a few others Skylines over the years, 44-02 Deluxe, 44-64 Custom and DJ4. The DJ4 was the standout of those three, but it made way for the US 44-94, really excellent Jazz bass though!

Si

Just now, Sibob said:

They're great, this is my  2nd USA Lakland (I have a custom 44-94 passive P/J as well), and my 3rd Lakland in the stable along with my Skyline 55-01. I've had a few others Skylines over the years, 44-02 Deluxe, 44-64 Custom and DJ4. The DJ4 was the standout of those three, but it made way for the US 44-94, really excellent Jazz bass though!

Si

And you're helping us avoid GAS exactly how? 😂

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

I got some wooden ones for christmas, although I don't use them much, just for a couple of songs. but because I was playing 5 hours on NYE, I was resorting to using it a lot as my fingers were a bit blistered. I have worn the plectrum down already!

2 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Si

Very nice. my first encounter with Lakland was a 55-01. I had never heard of them before but saw about 10 of them in the Bass Centre when i was out looking to get my first real gigging 5 string.  I got this over a Sandberg. It was a nice bass and my first time gigging with a 5 string. I had three Duck Dunn's over the years, and a DJ5 that i got converted to a PJ. I really didnt get on with the DJ5 though, but wish i had kept it. i found the DJ5 to be a bit dark and warm, which wasnt what i was looking for at the time.

4 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I got some wooden ones for christmas, although I don't use them much, just for a couple of songs. but because I was playing 5 hours on NYE, I was resorting to using it a lot as my fingers were a bit blistered. I have worn the plectrum down already!

Wooden ones are/were next on the list, but if they wear down quickly maybe not.

2 minutes ago, Sibob said:

....which is exactly why I loved it :)

I see a custom 55-64 P/J in my future (in 2020 haha).

Si

it was a lovely bass, but i had (still have) a Squier CV Jazz which i love the tone of, and the DJ5 was just not that tone. Even with a pup change (Nordy's) and the PJ conversion it sounded too warm for me. That was back then though. listening to live recordings of it i made a bad decision getting shot of it. No GAS for basses these days though, so im happy to talk about them 🙂

• Like 1

@dave_bass5 I have some wooden ones from Thalia, nice, but wear down relatively easily, I can post you one if you want and if I remember!

The other one to look at is the Dava pick grip tips - the rubber grip and angling the pick slightly allows you to strike rubber and plastic together to take the click away, or rotate it slightly and use just the rubber part and it gives you a muted string sound, but more Motown.

They do a mix pack with Nylon (floppier) and Delrin and another one, I forget. They even do a very thick Delrin. Worth a try.

Defo get the grip tip ones (jazz grip tips are even thinner tip and smaller pick) as the other standard rock or metal ones don’t cut it for me.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

@dave_bass5 I have some wooden ones from Thalia, nice, but wear down relatively easily, I can post you one if you want and if I remember!

The other one to look at is the Dava pick grip tips - the rubber grip and angling the pick slightly allows you to strike rubber and plastic together to take the click away, or rotate it slightly and use just the rubber part and it gives you a muted string sound, but more Motown.

They do a mix pack with Nylon (floppier) and Delrin and another one, I forget. They even do a very thick Delrin. Worth a try.

Defo get the grip tip ones (jazz grip tips are even thinner tip and smaller pick) as the other standard rock or metal ones don’t cut it for me.

Thanks mate but i think ill forgo the wooden ones for now.

I think you mentioned those Dava picks in another thread, and i did get  a pack of them. I have been using them since but want to try some thicker picks. Ive also got some Wedgie 3.1 rubber picks arriving next week.

Ill have another look at the Dava range if the Wedgies dont work out. I did get a pack of Jazz 3 carbon picks that were so small after 5 second i gave them to my son.