Why become a member? ×

2019 Gear Abstinence Challenge (Updated with 'rules')

Sibob

Just now, Al Krow said:

Yes but the thought occurred in 2018 and it's not PJ's fault that you didn't get the message until just now, so technically I suspect it would be ok... 😁

Yeah, im going to sort out some ads this week for a few things, PJ' can have first refusal on the S/Q if he still wants it.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Actually the opposite.

So would that be a "hot sweat" then? 😁

PS me and you both in terms of surplus pedals - best get my 2019 subs to this esteemed forum paid up pdq! Just managed to (finally!) wire up my board and am sporting a yammy broad bass grin right now :)

Edited by Al Krow

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

So would that be a "hot sweat" then? 😁

PS me and you both in terms of surplus pedals - just finally managed to wire up my board and am sporting a yammy broad bass grin right now - best get my 2019 subs to this esteemed forum paid up pdq! : ) 

Yeah,. i just saw your post. A bit of a beast. take that out and you wont need the rest of the band lol.

Just now, dave_bass5 said:

Yeah,. i just saw your post. A bit of a beast. take that out and you wont need the rest of the band lol.

More to the point they're likely to be saying they don't need me if I take that along to gigs! Haha!

Still, there's no ban on forming new bands as part of the gear abstinence challenge, is there? So that might be a good thing to do. A bit like a nicotine patch I guess.

So, hopefully it's not too late to sign up for this, but I am definitely IN.  I've got a custom body for my Baritone ordered and deposit paid last year, so that will be a nice thing when it arrives and it looks like that is within the rules, but I am not buying anything new in 2019. I've got more than enough gear, and really I need to sell of some bits and pieces that I'm not using as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

More to the point they're likely to be saying they don't need me if I take that along to gigs! Haha!

Still, there's no ban on forming new bands as part of the gear abstinence challenge, is there? So that might be a good thing to do. A bit like a nicotine patch I guess.

I can imagine it will get in the way when you decide to run around and trip over it lol. Comedy gold though :-).

No ban on getting a new band.....I’d love one 😞

On the gear front, ive got no GAS at all for any music related gear at the moment. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Haha 1

On 17/12/2018 at 10:29, Al Krow said:

Just snuck in a last 2018 purchase - a Mono padded case for my PT2 to save lugging the heavy tour case around (except when it's absolutely going to be needed) :) 

In case of interest - I bought from a retailer that I'd not come across before: Kytary

- offered free delivery in the price with a choice of courier (I went for DPD);

- £16 less than the best price incl delivery from Gear4Music or Andertons. I called Gear4Music to see if they would match on price and response was that there was "no wiggle room whatsoever".

Let's see if Kytary prove to be a decent seller - anyone else used them? (I paid via PayPal just to protect myself just in case, excuse the pun)...

Ok that's my Xmas pressie (hopefully!) sorted and I'm all good to go for Sibob's gear challenge 2019: bring it on! 😎

@Al Krow, how was your experience with Kytary in the end? I’m thinking of placing an order with them...

Apologies for this post being wildly at odds with the purpose of the thread :ph34r:

2 hours ago, CameronJ said:

@Al Krow, how was your experience with Kytary in the end? I’m thinking of placing an order with them...

Apologies for this post being wildly at odds with the purpose of the thread :ph34r:

Kytary were fine - goods arrived on time and in good condition. They even responded by email when I pointed out that they had given DPD an incomplete address for me and got that sorted.

• Thanks 1

This thread just got me thinking how long it had been since I bought any new gear, so I decided to delve into emails and photos to check.

2nd of March 2017 was the last time I bought anything, and that includes strings, cables, even spare batteries for basses and tuner. I’m stunned! that has to be a record for me, amazing how kids can distract you from this kind of nonsense. 😂

Edited by NJE
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Ah Nuts, I’m out. Just ordered a packet of leather plectrums. Never used one before and fancied a go. 

I'm sure plectrums falls under the "strings" exemption? Or under "educational"? 😄 

Anyway ref. will be along soon to adjudicate... 

7 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

I lasted less than two days, but I did stick the wanted ad up last year.

Always nice when that happens. What's incoming? 

8 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I wasn’t sure I’d be participating.

glad I didn’t throw my hat in the ring. 

F- for me.

I'm not sure I can claim any sort of "moral victory" by saying I outlasted Andy Travis 😁

• Haha 1

Just now, AndyTravis said:

You been talking to my wife?

PM me her number and I'll happily arrange to take one or more Yammy BBs off your hands (maybe that 1100S - looked rather tasty!) 

And you can then be "back in the game"!! I'll consider it as "taking one for the team"... 😄 

• Haha 1