Why become a member? ×

2019 Gear Abstinence Challenge (Updated with 'rules')

Sibob

Just snuck in a last 2018 purchase - a Mono padded case for my PT2 to save lugging the heavy tour case around (except when it's absolutely going to be needed) :) 

In case of interest - I bought from a retailer that I'd not come across before: Kytary

- offered free delivery in the price with a choice of courier (I went for DPD);

- £16 less than the best price incl delivery from Gear4Music or Andertons. I called Gear4Music to see if they would match on price and response was that there was "no wiggle room whatsoever".

Let's see if Kytary prove to be a decent seller - anyone else used them? (I paid via PayPal just to protect myself just in case, excuse the pun)...

Ok that's my Xmas pressie (hopefully!) sorted and I'm all good to go for Sibob's gear challenge 2019: bring it on! 😎

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

OK I'm taking this challenge seriously; 2019 will be the year of practice not gear.  To remove (GAS) temptation:

I've unsubscribed from the BassDirect newsletter. 

Removed the Bass gallery from my Instagram feed

Forum notifications turned off for the Marketplace.

That should help, and since I just put flatwound strings on all my basses failing a breakage I shouldn't need strings either. My fingers are crossed that father Christmas brings me the compressor I want and I'm glad Mesa have priced the new WD800 head at over the £1k mark otherwise I'd have been in trouble.

Edited by PJ-Bassist

I can say i've been without GAS for a few months. Last purchase of gear (except strings) was a extension cab for my Promethean early this year (and was just to grab an oportunity at a good price) I'm still using my TRB as main bass since i've bought it in 2010. I've had some basses in the meantime but none stuck with me.
I have a bit of money accumulated in my "gear piggy bank" and have been scrolling through the classifieds, thomann, etc. for a few moths, i can't see anything i would like to replace my current gear...
Maybe the NAAM could bring out some new Ampeg gear with Yamaha quality that could convince me to spend some money.

6 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I booked a bass in for a new pre-amp, new strings, and set-up today. Not going to happen until the new year. I've already bought the strings and pre-amp, but the work will come under the 2019 budget, am I out already?

Ooh, that’d be harsh if that went against you! 

I thought you were hell bent on putting food in the mouths of guitar shop owners? :) 

40 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I booked a bass in for a new pre-amp, new strings, and set-up today. Not going to happen until the new year. I've already bought the strings and pre-amp, but the work will come under the 2019 budget, am I out already?

Hmmm let me guess...

Bass = Ibanez SR 1206

Preamp = John East (which model?)

Strings = no idea!

How am I doing?

Personally I don't think refinements to existing gear should count as new bass gear (strings are defo exempt). The pre-amp, well that is borderline but must fall into some loophole or other! 😁

27 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Hmmm let me guess...

Bass = Ibanez SR 1206

Preamp = John East (which model?)

Strings = no idea!

How am I doing?

Personally I don't think refinements to existing gear should count as new bass gear (strings are defo exempt). The pre-amp, well that is borderline but must fall into some loophole or other! 😁

Doing pretty well there, Al, correct bass, correct preamp (uni pre 5 knob) and strings - standard set of d'Addario nickel rounds to replace the worn out set  on the bass when I got it, plus my local chap's quality set-up, which he does so much better than I can.

I've bought the hardware, and booked the work, but it won't happen until the end of week 1, 2019. Maybe if I paid in advance I could stay in the game!

Any setup/maintenance work comes under strings as an allowance I would say.

But yes, preamp would be a stretch.....but that’s paid for so.....

And with regards to having put down a deposit before committing to this, just whistle and look the other way when handing over the balance ;)......that doesn’t work for those who are aware/committed to this though lol.

Si

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Any setup/maintenance work comes under strings as an allowance I would say.

But yes, preamp would be a stretch.....but that’s paid for so.....

And with regards to having put down a deposit before committing to this, just whistle and look the other way when handing over the balance ;)......that doesn’t work for those who are aware/committed to this though lol.

Si

That’s alright then. I paid up in mid October so I’m in! 👍🏻

Ok, edited the first post with the following, let me know if I missed anything:

Off the back of this becoming more popular than I had anticipated....here are the RULES:

Tier 1 Challenge
During the calendar year of 2019 (01/01/19 - 31/12/19):
- No bass gear purchases/trades whatsoever, be that amps, pedals, basses, accessories.

Tier 2 challenge (should you play other instruments, engage in music production etc)
- As above, but extended to your other musical gear

Allowances in both tiers:
- Strings (sticks, skins, reeds etc)
- Maintenance/setups that only involve work on existing aspects of your bass (ie no purchasing a preamp to add to it)
- If something breaks through no unusual intervention of your own, and is unable to be repaired, you may replace it.
- Educational purchases, ie tutorial books, lessons, anything that furthers your playing is permitted.
- If you have purchased something in 2018, you are able to take delivery of it within 2019.
- If you have put down a deposit on something before committing to this, which then requires a final payment within 2019, that single payment permitted. However you may wish to explore whether you can pay the balance early (if you're a little OCD like me).

I think that about covers it, please also treat this thread as a bit of a 'support group', any funny stories about near misses, discoveries about your current gear that you might not have focused on before, things learned by spending money on learning over gear etc etc etc.

Finally, I would like to say that THIS IS JUST FOR FUN, if someone falls off the wagon, no-one cares. This initially just started out to see whether I can achieve it.....a rather extreme exercise in really appreciating the amazing gear I already have.

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, bazzbass said:

this is the work of the devil, be gone with you!

we need an intervention methinks......

optimal number of basses to own = b + 1 where b is current number of basses owned

repeat after me, optimal number of basses = .....

*makes loud screeching noise* *body contorts to unusual shape*

20 hours ago, Ghost_Bass said:

I can say i've been without GAS for a few months.
I have a bit of money accumulated in my "gear piggy bank" and have been scrolling through the classifieds, thomann, etc. for a few moths, i can't see anything i would like to replace my current gear...

......moths ?,  MOTHS ??    you've got Gas for moths ?,  I might be in now, I promise not to buy any moths in 2019, (not bass moths anyway)

• Like 1

I’m down for this, mostly because I have to be. I’ve just bought a flat in London, and then my car died, so I had to get a new car too. I’ve just paid for a new bathroom, new windows for the whole flat, some loft flooring, some kitchen appliances, some built-in wardrobes, a new boiler, and I still have a long list of things to buy before we move in. I’m paying rent in the current place and the mortgage on the new place for the next couple of months. So my bank account has had the beating of a lifetime. 

Definitely no bass related purchases for me for at least a year. Is it cheating if it’s out of necessity? I can’t see it being too much of a problem if the disposable money is not there.

• Sad 1