Why become a member? ×

New Old Bassist would Appreciate Advice...

TripleB67

On 05/10/2018 at 14:16, Oopsdabassist said:

Yamaha and Ampeg as a starter kit? you are living the dream mate! I love my Yams and the 4 stringer is an old beater, but still my 'go to' bass when gigging!

Awesome....glad to hear I did well to start out with!

Fantastic pic!!!!!!

TripleB67

On 05/10/2018 at 19:16, Oopsdabassist said:

Yamaha and Ampeg as a starter kit? you are living the dream mate! I love my Yams and the 4 stringer is an old beater, but still my 'go to' bass when gigging!

2016-09-27 20.11.02.jpg

OP - playing the bass in this position requires a bow... :)

On 05/10/2018 at 19:16, Oopsdabassist said:

2016-09-27 20.11.02.jpg

5 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

OP - playing the bass in this position requires a bow... :)

I've seen a bassist playing from this position.  I can't remember where.  I looked a couple of times since for the video clip and I can't find it.

He was a big lad and he made the instrument look like a fiddle.  No bow, fingerstyle if I recall correctly.

Can anyone verify this with a link please?  I'll have to put it down to a senior moment otherwise.

I was looking at the various bass guitars that are around the same original price point of my Yamaha RBX170Y ($200US) and noticed that many of them have a 28.6" or 30" neck scale....usually with 20 or 24 frets.

Made me wonder:

1) what are the advantages of the shorter scale length? 

2) what are the disadvantages of the shorter scale length?

3) as someone just starting out would it have been better for me to start with the 28.6"/30" instead of the 34" on my Yamaha...and do the number of frets make a difference?

Thank you for your input!!!

TripleB67

Edited by TripleB67

22 minutes ago, TripleB67 said:

I was looking at the various bass guitars that are around the same original price point of my Yamaha RBX170Y ($200US) and noticed that many of them have a 28.6" or 30" neck scale.

Made me wonder:

1) what are the advantages of the shorter scale length? 

2) what are the disadvantages of the shorter scale length?

3) as someone just starting out would it have been better for me to start with the 28.6"/30" instead of the 34" on my Yamaha?

Thank you for your input!!!

TripleB67

1) if you have really small hands or arms, such as you are a child or have a medical issue, there is less of a stretch.

2) Getting strings is hard, getting a decent deep bass sound is much harder (if not impossible), intonation is harder.

3) No. Start out with the normal and then if you have a problem, seek out something to fix the issue

• Like 2

The best home practise combo, for me, is the Peavey Micro Bass. Peanuts on eBay, and a fantastic tight tone with some punch and low end. Compact and simple EQ, perfect. Couple it with whatever bass feels and sounds good to you and you're done for home playing. Don't get drawn in to the "snob trap" of where your gear was made or how much it costs  it's irrelevant... think of your bank account first, and your ears second... the rest is gravy.

I've had all the expensive kit since I started 30 years ago, and now it's all gone,  but the MIM P bass I have currently does all I want it to. 300 quid on the bay, job done. It's great. A proper bass.

My only "advice" is to have fun, enjoy music, enjoy your life and keep the bass playing simple and groovy as it was always meant to be. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

1) if you have really small hands or arms, such as you are a child or have a medical issue, there is less of a stretch.

2) Getting strings is hard, getting a decent deep bass sound is much harder (if not impossible), intonation is harder.

3) No. Start out with the normal and then if you have a problem, seek out something to fix the issue

1) I have quite small hands and a 30” scale is just right for me.

2) agreed.

3) just don’t wait thirty five years to try a short scale like I did and then find out it’s right for you.

On 15/10/2018 at 15:14, Woodinblack said:

Soz but I disagree with this. My Cort short scale sounds great! Getting strings is not a problem. It is always in tune. Also has a lovely growl but can make lovely other tones too. 

Defence mode over. 

And calm....

😴

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:55, TripleB67 said:

...21 year old daughter... 11 year old son... a wonderful wife... So... I don't see me in a band but maybe in the future when life slows down...

I'm not bustling into the personal life of the OP, but he did openly ask for advice. I'm not one for platitudes as they are particularly worthless to a man who is in charge of his own destiny. I'm only writing the following because I'm retired and can recognise a mid-life crisis before it turns the corner. I've seen it in myself and in my friends. I have to say, you're not a bass player. You're a family man. You made the better choice long ago...

There's nothing more sad than an old bass player trying to find a band... I would suggest that if one wastes their time and energy on band-people and their multitude of issues and problems, they will short change their family and jeopardise their real future. At 60, we ain't got long to go. If one has already built a life, the trick then is to maintain current status.    

People in bands are damaged people... This you can find out for yourself. Becoming a bass player at 60 in 2018 means one will never make money at it and will, quite frankly, be laughed at. Especially if we try to "gig". I've been playing bass and studying music for 50 years. And I'm talented. But there are still a million guitards out there who crave to micro-manage "their" bass players. And these guitards buy basses. They think they can already play bass because they play guitar! I play guitar, too. But I never mention it because the guitards get so jealous when they find out that a bass player can play guitar. Leave this to young people and the Rolling Stones. They spent their entire lives playing music as a professional band. I don't know how their personal lives fared, but at least when they cry, they are comforted by being rich. You don't want to be a poor man crying... Wives don't respect musicians, especially if it's their husband.

I was recently used by a band of devious sexagenarians because their bass player attended a one year re-training course. Of course they never told me that...  and when he secretly returned they said, "Oh! We're shutting down for a while to re-group." They never called back and are now playing again (for free...) with their old "friend/lodge brother". I surely don't miss these less than mediocre lads, especially after playing a bar where the young patrons, feeling a little short-changed,  started screaming/chanting for Zep's "Moby D*ck"! (You know, the big, white whale...) This is just one example of "band people". Folks will say there are also good people playing in bands. Don't listen to them, they are stupid. Or they're band-people. As amateur musicians age, they become worse, as they have to live with failure until they become desperate little men who will hesitate at nothing to gain some weak measure of fame.          

Image result for shades of grey band

An old man beginner will not become good enough to earn respect. This becomes more important as we age. One should play their strong suit. Can't read music either? Save the money for old age and family commitments. Don't we want to travel when we retire? All wives resent it. It alienates wives in a way that one will come to regret. Imagine if a wife suddenly took up a musical instrument near retirement age and had no time for cooking, cleaning or coddling... How would the husband feel? That bass is competing for family time.

Maybe play along with CD's when bored. A sort of secret pastime, exploring the music of all eras. Forget bands...

Charlie brews his own coffee...

Image result for old men wanting to be a bass player

Jack doesn't...

Related image

Edited by StringNavigator
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, StringNavigator said:

There's nothing more sad than an old bass player trying to find a band...   People in bands are damaged people... Becoming a bass player at 60 in 2018 means one will never make money at it and will, quite frankly, be laughed at. Especially if we try to "gig" ... 

Folks will say there are also good people playing in bands. Don't listen to them, they are stupid. Or they're band-people. As amateur musicians age, they become worse, as they have to live with failure until they become desperate little men who will hesitate at nothing to gain some weak measure of fame.          

StringNavigator dropping truth like bombs. He's totally nailed it.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 2

Becominga bass player at 60 in 2018 means one will never make money at it and will, quite frankly, be laughed at.

You are never too old to learn bass ,or any instrument  for that matter,  and not very friendly advise  imo 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bridgehouse said:

Well, I’m 44 - best I give up next year for fear of being a sad old loser.

I'd say not. 44 is still young and you've been playing a long time. But as a sexagenarian, I wouldn't start out now playing with bands. A 60 year old learner...? Especially if I was paying to put a kid through college and had a youngster who needs two parents. My kids are in their early forties and no longer need parents, but I now I think of money as something to leave them when I die. I'd rather work overtime and make real money for my wife and estate than goofing off as a bar musician. My wife is used to it, although I've given up on being a band-boy. Gigging on Fridays/Saturdays makes a wife a widow. I'd rather be happily married than some guitard's bass-boy. I'm content with playing along with the best musicians on the planet - my CD collection. Leave the band grind to the young and the foolish. Packing gear, driving, parking, studio rental, low paying gigs, late nights... band issues, back-stabbing... If people were honest, they wouldn't disagree too much with what I've said. Unless you're Charles Mingus, work the overtime and buy your wife some flowers...

2 minutes ago, StringNavigator said:

I'd say not. 44 is still young and you've been playing a long time. But as a sexagenarian, I wouldn't start out now playing with bands. A 60 year old learner...? Especially if I was paying to put a kid through college and had a youngster who needs two parents. My kids are in their early forties and no longer need parents, but I now I think of money as something to leave them when I die. I'd rather work overtime and make real money for my wife and estate than goofing off as a bar musician. My wife is used to it, although I've given up on being a band-boy. Gigging on Fridays/Saturdays makes a wife a widow. I'd rather be happily married than some guitard's bass-boy. I'm content with playing along with the best musicians on the planet - my CD collection. Leave the band grind to the young and the foolish. Packing gear, driving, parking, studio rental, low paying gigs, late nights... band issues, back-stabbing... If people were honest, they wouldn't disagree too much with what I've said. Unless you're Charles Mingus, work the overtime and buy your wife some flowers...

The “guitard” in my band used to be the bass player. 

After a year or so, we were chatting about how the band has improved in recent times. 

When asked what he thought had improved, the guitarist said “Well, the bass playing is a lot better..”

Attitude goes a long way.. not just your guitarist, but yours as bass player as well....