Why become a member? ×

New Old Bassist would Appreciate Advice...

TripleB67

Lest @TripleB67 conclude that BassChat is a home for geriatrics it should be noted that we (possibly) have some members under the age of 40. 

As for having some lessons, that's a good suggestion. Even things like positioning the bass properly to avoid hand strains and the difference between playing seated or standing up is all useful for the future. Serious theory shouldn't really come into it at this stage - just easy stuff like where the notes are and why they're where they are. Also seconded: simple blues jams off YouTube.

Thanks again for all the help!

Went today to listen to the various amps the local store had in stock and narrowed it down to three amps: Fender Rumble 25 ($100), Acoustic B15 ($100), and Ampeg BA108V2 ($90).  After having a store rep play all three I quickly narrowed it down to the Fender and the Ampeg.  After having him play everything from the Beatles to Gn'R to Rush to Metallica to some blues, and then him going back and forth between the Fender and Ampeg about 4 times (I'm sure he was thinking "it's only a $100 amp, not a $1000 amp"), it was a VERY tough call, but because of clarity of sound (at least to my newbie ear), I went with the Ampeg BA108V2 for $90. 

But the Fender was right there with it and if it would have been a different day I may have felt it was better (it was that close).  I'll give this Ampeg a workout for 40 days and then should know if it is the one or if I should go back and get the Fender Rumble 25 (or maybe one will go on a great sale by then).  Although since I had purchased my amp more than 45 days ago (I think it was more like 90 days ago) I had to pay a $18.99 return fee when I returned my old one.  But I think it will be definitely worth it!!!

Since I've now got an amp I finally got my Yamaha bass out to go over it very carefully.  Everything looks (haven't plugged it up yet, family first) great except possibly the positioning of the split pick ups.  The one closest to the neck looks pretty good and the full one near the bridge looks about perfect, but the split one in between the two looks way off.  It's got like 6 or 7 mm of space between it and the G string but heading towards the A string there is like 3mm of space.  

I've tried to attach a few different angle pics so you can see what I'm talking about. 

Do I need to try and adjust that pick up so there is a more consistent space between the it and the strings on both ends of it?  If so, what's the safest and best way to do so? 

I'm going to also try to attach a picture of the neck.  Although now that I see it posted, it's not a good picture.  But do the strings look the proper distance from the neck and does the neck look the correct shape?

I'm saving a full picture of my first bass guitar and first bass amp until I get them hooked up tomorrow! 😀

I appreciate all of your help!

TripleB67

Bass Left Side Pickups.jpg

Bass Pick Ups Top.jpg

Bass Side Neck.jpg

Edited by TripleB67

Advice from Fodera.

The split pickups (the pair together are often referred to as a P type pickup) can be individually adjusted and it is normal for them to sit on slightly different inclined planes.

Setting up of the pickups is usually done after the intonation and action of the strings have been set to your satisfaction.  Those adjustments are made:

• at the nut - by filing, unless you have a fancy adjustable one
  • the bridge - most electric basses have fully adjustable bridges with individual saddles these days
  • the truss rod - the adjustment is called neck relief and may need altering to suit a change of string gauge or movement of the neck due to ageing or climate changes.

All of these can be done at home with simple tools.  You should not attempt it however until you've studied some of the information on the 'net.  YT has a lot of info that is freely shared.

Paying for a setup by an experienced technician is money well spent if all you want is to get up and running without getting bogged down by the deeper aspects of how guitars work.

The Repairs and Technical section of our forum is well worth a search before you go out on the Wild West Web.

Edited by SpondonBassed

That looks a little wonky.  But you’ll need to plug the bass in and listen to how it sounds before you make any adjustments. It’s probably not a huge issue at this stage unless the sound is badly affected

you typically want the pickups to be angled so that they are closer to the thinner strings because the thicker ones create more of a disturbance in the pickup’s magnetic field, and are thus louder. 

If there is a huge mismatch in the volume across the strings then they are easy to adjust.  Depending on the sound you want the trick is usually to get them as close to the strings as you can without them either being hit by the strings or your pick when playing, or distorting the sound.  You may need to adjust them over time as your playing style develops.

the same applies across the different pickups - for example if one is much louder than the others then you might want to drop that one a little or raise the others.  And you may be dealing with different pickups that are louder or quieter because of how they have been made, so trust your ears rather than what they look like

Edited by Monkey Steve
  • Like 1

Hmmm, having had a closer look at the pictures, I think the split pickup has been angled for the camber of the fretboard - the fretboard is curved so if the strings are set up at an equal distance from the fretboard then they will be higher in the middle than at the edges, and the pickup is trying to mimic that. 

Again, have a listen, and if it dousnt sound right, give it a tweak.

one other tip is to just change it a little, have a listen, if it’s not right change it a little again, have another listen, and repeat until it sounds right

Edited by Monkey Steve

53 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

Hmmm, having had a closer look at the pictures, I think the split pickup has been angled for the camber of the fretboard - the fretboard is curved so if the strings are set up at an equal distance from the fretboard then they will be higher in the middle than at the edges, and the pickup is trying to mimic that. 

Some difference between the angles of the split components of a P pickup is to be expected.

In the image supplied it does look like more of a difference than I am used to but as you have spotted, they follow the arc of the strings above the curved fretboard.  It could be exaggerated by the photo angle or it may be that it works like that.

You could adjust initially by sight and get reasonable results but the final adjustment is best done by ear through the amp you are using most often.  I say that so that you are unlikely to diverted by characteristics of an amp you don't normally use.

You make a good point by saying that the distance may be less for the G than for the E.

Too close to the strings = fret pole clank and magnetic pull on the strings

Too far from the strings = low output/increased noise from having to boost the output

Just right (the goldilocks zone) = strong yet clean output making the most of the pre and power amplification down the signal path.

Edited by SpondonBassed
Incorrect term used, now corrected.
  • Like 1

I would say, play the bass. At some time later, if there is something about the sound that is wrong, or something about the feel that is wrong, start looking as to what can be causing that and what you can do about it. If there isn't anything about it that you don't like, don't even think about it again, just carrying on playing it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TripleB67 said:

... but the split one in between the two looks way off.  ...

Sorry, but that's not the criteria for judging these things. The 'looks' have their place, but, in musical instruments generally, it's the sound that matters most, and that's what to judge on firstly. As has been stated above, the positioning of that pickup looks to be intentional, and should be listened to, through experiences ears, before coming to any conclusions. If it's not too late, I'd say 'Don't touch anything at all, just play it' for a while (at least several weeks...), and have someone experienced, trustworthy and competent advise on any reflections you might have before taking any action at all. There's little in a bass such as yours which will require attention for quite some while, as it is a fine instrument, able to give satisfaction 'out of the box', yet still be 'tweakable' once one has enough experience to know what's best for oneself. Play it through your new amp, and enjoy your first steps on a long and fruitful path, in full confidence that you're on safe ground. Don't try to run yet; it's the fastest way to trip up. Slow, steady, sure... You've made some excellent choices up to now; keep that up and you'll go far. B|

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

The 'looks' have their place, but, in musical instruments generally, it's the sound that matters most, and that's what to judge on firstly. As has been stated above, the positioning of that pickup looks to be intentional, and should be listened to, through experiences ears, before coming to any conclusions. If it's not too late, I'd say 'Don't touch anything at all, just play it' for a while (at least several weeks...), and have someone experienced, trustworthy and competent advise on any reflections you might have before taking any action at all. There's little in a bass such as yours which will require attention for quite some while, as it is a fine instrument, able to give satisfaction 'out of the box', yet still be 'tweakable' once one has enough experience to know what's best for oneself. Play it through your new amp, and enjoy your first steps on a long and fruitful path, in full confidence that you're on safe ground. Don't try to run yet; it's the fastest way to trip up. Slow, steady, sure... You've made some excellent choices up to now; keep that up and you'll go far. B|

That's great to know!

Just looking at most of the bass guitars on the wall of the music store yesterday, it seemed like most of them had pickups that were pretty level.  Then when I got home and saw that that one split pick up was a lot closer (very easy to see on the first pic above) to the A string than the G string (even though the G string is thinner), I was a bit concerned. The top split looked like what I was expecting, the full bridge pick up looked like what I was expecting, but the bottom split pick up looked awkward.

Thanks to you and everyone for the help!

TripleB67

Plug in and play there will probably be a volume control for both single coil pup and split p type pup.....knock volume off one play it, then do the same with the other I wouldn't worry about the angle of split pup see what the volume of each string is like can easily be adjusted to suit your ear, all depends what sound you want...usually bridge pup will give a more treblier/ mid tone and neck pup slightly warmer deeper tone....good luck....plug in play and don't be afraid to fiddle about a bit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TripleB67 said:

...Thanks to you and everyone for the help!...

R91KekF.gif

4 minutes ago, thebigyin said:

...plug in play and don't be afraid to fiddle about a bit.

... but only after having played 'as is' for quite some time. No damage will be done by 'tweaking', but no good either, until you're a bit more familiar with some of this stuff. Leave all of that for now, and just play the blinkin' thing..! :lol:

• Like 1

Having set up many a P bass pickup, I’d say that the angles in the photos (although quite big) are not beyond reasonable. It depends on the strings, the pickups themselves and the types of magnets/poles/windings as well as fb radius and so forth. 

As has already been stated, play it for a bit and see how it is - if one string seems quieter than the others then raise that bit of thebrelevant pickup a bit. The pickup will be seated on springs so turning anti-clockwise on the screw will slowly raise it, clockwise will lower it 

• Like 1

My advice has nothing to do with music, or guitars or amplifiers or joining bands but it is probably the most important piece of advice anyone can give you, and it is;

Familiarise yourelf with the deadly affliction known as GAS. Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) can strike at any time but the chances of it becoming deadly are greatly increased by regular visits to websites such as Basschat. Once it takes hold, it is almost impossible to shake loose until divorce, banckruptcy, social alienation and homelessness have been achieved. Early signs are constant visits to the Review and For Sale sections, or Ebay. You may find yourself uttering the peculiar sentence "Yes Dear, I can absolutely understand why you need those shoes, that new dress and the handbag". This unfortunately means that you have been infected and will say anything to divert attention from your own addiction. Looking for places to hide new acquisitions is another key indicator. As of now there is no known cure so please, take heed. Sadly though, in your case it may already be too late since you have found Basschat so early in your journey.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi. I started playing properly last November when I bought a secondhand G&L M2000 GTS. I am 53 and have played music on and off for about 35 years, but mainly keyboards/synths. I don't play in a band yet but I am looking for something locally. My advice to a newbie (and I am still one) is play what you enjoy for fun, but always put aside some time to practice, whether its scales or fingering exercises. My little finger on my fretting hand kills me (a bit of arthritis) but it is getting stronger the more I play, and my fingertips are hardening up nicely. When you sit down for a session, its good to do exercises first off, and then reward yourself by rocking out later on.

Get a metronome app on your phone, and practice to that, and keep it slow. Better get the  technique right straight away. Have some fun breaking down complete songs and working out the bass part from beginning to end, then nailing playing it.

I also really recommend SBL. I appreciate some of his mannerisms may seem a bit OTT but I like his approach. I am a Brit as well so maybe I get him, but I find his approach as if he is only talking to me which is nice. His site (once your a member) has loads of interviews and stuff as well, so you can really immerse yourself in all things bass.

I tried lessons with a couple of people - I didn't really find they added much to help me, and I didn't warm to them. However I got loads out of attending a Jam Day with  about 15 guitarist and 2 other bassists, run by a company that does weekend learning breaks for guitarists. I actually realised I was a lot better than I thought I was, I have great gear and a great sound - that really helped my confidence so I would seek out groups like that.

With regards to GAS, I have gone through it a bit. I now have three basses - the G&L and a Sire V7 fretless, plus a TC Electronics rig and Zoom effects. I also have a lightly modded Squier VM Jazz which I use in the house with a Fender Rumble 15 for those moments when I just need a fix. I found my playing improved when I upgraded to the TC rig (I ws using a crate BT50) as I got a far better sound and I was much happier. Everything I have bought I have bought secondhand off Ebay, Gumtree or Facebook, a have probably saved around 40% off new prices for everything I have, with no nasty surprises.

I agree - just get on, start playing and enjoy.  But don't be afraid to try our new gear, strings, etc, when the time comes, and don't be afraid to buy second hand. Buy well and if you don't like something, you will be able to get what you paid for it (unless Ebay takes all your money). Use these forums for advice, and use your ears to work out whats right for you.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Japhet said:

Familiarise yourelf with the deadly affliction known as GAS. Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) can strike at any time but the chances of it becoming deadly are greatly increased by regular visits to websites such as Basschat. 

I'm all too familiar with GAS!!!  It happened to me with tennis racquets (have played tennis 47 out of my 51 years on Earth; even microfracture knee surgery couldn't stop me)...I had one or two to start with, then about 8 years latter I look on my "computer room" walls downstairs and I have what you see in the pictures below....

I'm worried Bass Guitar GAS will hit me similarly, especially after I've had so many awesome posters reply to my very first post here!  But some things have changed since the tennis racquet collection days: now helping putting a daughter through college, 11 year old entered middle school and won't be through college until I'm at least 61, some of those racquets I picked up for under $35 (hard to find a bass for that price), and I spent all my extra money on racquets.

Unfortunately at bit of GAS hit me yesterday.  While trying out the amps the guy asked me who my favorite guitarist was and I said Geddy Lee...so he goes over to the wall, picks up a Geddy Lee signature model bass, hands it to me, and says, "try the amps using this guitar."  🤩 I was in awe!!!!!

But, for now, I'll be happy with my $220 combination of Yamaha RBX170Y bass and Ampeg BA108V2 amp...which I feel is a great starter combo at a pretty good price!!!  But someday....a Billy Sheehan or Geddy Lee model will be mine!!!!!!!!!

TripleB67

Racquets 1.png

Racquets 2.png

Racquets 3.png

Racquets 4.png

Racquets 5.png

Racquets 6.png

Edited by TripleB67
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, TripleB67 said:

I'm all too familiar with GAS!!!  It happened to me with tennis racquets (have played tennis 47 out of my 51 years on Earth; even microfracture knee surgery couldn't stop me)...I had one or two to start with, then about 8 years latter I look on my "computer room" walls downstairs and I have what you see in the pictures below....

Wow.  Talk about a lost cause.  This time next year you will have a wall covered in tasteful instruments, mark my words.

Heeheehee.  I'm only kidding.  (...but am I?)

• Like 1

Anyone hear me playing my first notes about an hour ago??? 🤣

I watched a few videos and haven't played anything except what was in this video, which was basically just learning how to pluck the strings, but I'm already having a blast!!!!

I see some people resting their thumb on the top of the pick up, but for me it feels most comfortable resting it on the E string (which is a beast to tune, at least with my two tuner apps - I'll try my Korg 60 tuner in a little) right in between the split pickups and the bridge pickups...hopefully this isn't starting me with a bad habit?

Ain't she a beaut?  Well, probably not to you all veterans...but for a beginner who ended up putting about $220 into guitar and amp, she is gorgeous!!!!

TripleB67

Yamaha Bass and Ampeg Amp.jpg

Edited by TripleB67
  • Like 4

Classic black.  Nice.

8 hours ago, TripleB67 said:

I see some people resting their thumb on the top of the pick up, but for me it feels most comfortable resting it on the E string (which is a beast to tune, at least with my two tuner apps - I'll try my Korg 60 tuner in a little) right in between the split pickups and the bridge pickups...hopefully this isn't starting me with a bad habit?

It is a matter of opinion as to whether it is a bad habit or not for the most part but there are exceptions.

In the case of some classic basses, notably '51 style Fender Ps, the pickup bobbins are exposed when the chrome cuff is removed.  They are fragile.  It is most definitely a bad habit to put your thumb on those as you can kill a pickup outright if you displace the components of the pickup or if you strike it with a pick.  Those basses usually have a dedicated thumb rest or tug bar upon which you can anchor if you aren't using the floating thumb technique.

Those pickups (the single bobbin P type) were never intended to be exposed to fingers nor picks and the basses came with a cover above the strings and pickup and another above the bridge (fondly referred to as the ashtray).  Lots of player remove those chrome covers.  I won't go into the reasons for that here.

Most pickups have protective shells upon which you can safely rest your thumb.  Yours is one of those.  There are many ways to strike a string.  Often it comes down to the style of music that you play.  I don't use the word genre here, style is less restrictive than genre.  Don't worry about this too much.

If you are plucking between the neck and bridge pickups you will get an even response from the two pick ups at full output assuming the pickups are matched well.  Try plucking above the bridge pickup and then over the neck pickup and familiarise yourself with the differences in tone.  The two pickups sound quite different because, near the bridge, there is less movement of the strings and you get a different mixture of harmonics with the fundamental note.

You also have the different responses from the type of pickup; J type - as you have near the bridge and P type - as you have near the neck.  As has been mentioned, you have made a good choice of instrument to start off with.  The brand is well made and has a solid reputation.  I'd recommend you avoid getting bogged down with the technicalities of pickup choice just yet.

In addition, the pickup over which you are plucking will be more sensitive to the sound of your fingers/pick on the strings.  It's very subtle and has nothing to do with the pitch of the note that sounds.  Some people call it a microphonic response.  Again, this is nothing to worry about until you get into recording.

Before you adjust any Tone, EQ, Contour or other tone shaping feature, it is important to get the plucking position right for what you want to play.  Having said that, it takes a while to be able to instinctively change the location of your pluck to suit the sound you are going for.  The nearer you pluck to the bridge, the more taut the strings feel.  This is useful for some styles where for others you'd pluck nearer the neck where the strings feel less taut.  Relax.  It will come to you in time.

I'm happy to read that you are getting a blast already.  It's that little spark of excitement from making a noise and delivering it in a controlled manner that drives all of us at some level or other.

Edited by SpondonBassed

On tuning the E string...

Some tuners are better at handling basses than others, although the ones that aren't good typically struggle on notes lower than the bottom E (such as five string basses that go to a low B).  However, if you're struggling with a brand new bass I wonder if the strings need stretching...let me find a link as it'll be easier than explaining it, but basically tuning tends to be a bit unstable when strings are fresh on the bass, and the way round that is to stretch the strings...

here you go:  http://www.studybass.com/gear/bass-strings/how-to-change-bass-guitar-strings/10  or look for "stretching bass strings" on YouTube

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TripleB67 said:

One of technique things that is hard to master is damping the strings you are not playing, as you will find them ringing out a lot. I find resting my thumb on the E is great when playing the other 3 as it damps, but you will need to move your thumb onto the top of the pick up when you play the E. Over time you will find you can move your thumb up and down the strings as you pick them, even resting the edge of your thumb against the E, A and D if you are soloing on the G. This really un natural to start with, but practice will get there.

• Like 2