Why become a member? ×

Darkglass X7

visog

9 hours ago, Bigwan said:

He uses esoteric equipment and records without a DI using a very coloured rig and microphone. So his demos are completely unlike what you can expect any given pedal to sound...

And his playing style is the bass playing equivalent of a drum fill made up of throwing a drum kit down a flight of stairs... 

See? I can be constructive when I have the time... 

Thanks for that, I hadn't looked into his set up previously but recognise his tone is heavily shaped/baked as part of his demos.

Interested to hear more on the x7 though, they've not yet released sonething that's managed to get me over the line to put one on my board... Not that that will worry them of course XD

Edited by Salt on your Bass?

It would be nice to see more Darkglass demos using different genre's and more traditional type basses.... All I mainly hear is dingwals and metallic sounding metal tunes. I'm sure all his pedals could sound good in other formats.

I liked the b3k on lower settings and would be interested to hear what more med type drive this could do

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Salt on your Bass? said:

Thanks for that, I hadn't looked into his set up previously but recognise his tone is heavily shaped/baked as part of his demos.

Interested to hear more on the x7 though, they've not yet released sonething that's managed to get me over the line to put one on my board... Not that that will worry them of course XD

Totally agree. I'll be first to admit that I'm not the biggest Darkglass fan (except for the amp - it's outstanding!), but I'd like to try one of these. I haven't tried the Tech21 Dug pre either.

I think everybody misses a trick by not giving the Ashdown J-Lo Hyperdrive a go. It'd need to be a good pedal to bump that off for me...

1 hour ago, danbowskill said:

It would be nice to see more Darkglass demos using different genre's and more traditional type basses.... All I mainly hear is dingwals and metallic sounding metal tunes. I'm sure all his pedals could sound good in other formats.

In my opinion Darkglass have so cornered the metal market that a lot of metal bass is starting to sound exactly the same  - as Amos Williams of Tesseract says "the ubiquitous Darkglass B7K...".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, danbowskill said:

I liked the b3k on lower settings and would be interested to hear what more med type drive this could do

I agree. That grindy tone is alright but to be honest it just sounds like a detuned guitar. I think it's the current wave of metal though...

The problem is, eventually it just all sound like one thing blended together in a buzz saw noise of grind. Converge do it much better; the guitar is still clear and the bass is a P bass with that classic tube pushed sound, nothing more. 

50 minutes ago, Musicman20 said:

Converge do it much better; the guitar is still clear and the bass is a P bass with that classic tube pushed sound, nothing more. 

The way it should be... having said that I've never heard any Converge, but the description is exactly the way my last metal band sounded...

1 hour ago, cLepto-bass said:

Personally, I am pretty bored with the whole Darkglass overdrive range now. I have owned three and sold them all. I doubt I will be getting any more in the future.

Really! Why? I don't own one myself but I got close a couple of years ago. Went for the Two Notes in a bake off with the Vintage. That said, I think they're very musical distortion pedals...

14 hours ago, Bigwan said:

He uses esoteric equipment and records without a DI using a very coloured rig and microphone. So his demos are completely unlike what you can expect any given pedal to sound...

And his playing style is the bass playing equivalent of a drum fill made up of throwing a drum kit down a flight of stairs... 

See? I can be constructive when I have the time... 

But that's not a bad thing!

:D 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bigwan said:

In my opinion Darkglass have so cornered the metal market that a lot of metal bass is starting to sound exactly the same  - as Amos Williams of Tesseract says "the ubiquitous Darkglass B7K...".

Yup.

It's like 90s metal guitars - all tubescreamer boosted Mesa Dual Recs. Couldn't get away from them.

It's annoying because the DG stuff is actually very versatile when the drive knob isn't welded at full.

The AO is actually a brilliant clean & warm preamp. I use it like that most of the time rather than teh brewtal. 

2 hours ago, cLepto-bass said:

Personally, I am pretty bored with the whole Darkglass overdrive range now. I have owned three and sold them all. I doubt I will be getting any more in the future.

Glad you popped in :D 

I've got enough preamps on my board so I'm interested in the X.  Difficult to tell where this will sit/ what tonal signature this will be comparable to.  Obviously, the BK and AO are very different, whether this will be different enough again to justify owning all three remains to be seen... My guess is this could be a BK replacement for many.  Can't see how it could replace the AO.

The soft attack at 035 to 043 and 1.32 to 1.37 was actually pretty tasty; but the I'm not a fan of the harder fizzy-mush he's putting out (which is also very much what I associate with the "DG metal" sound). The latter reminded me not a little of the Tech 21 dUg DP-3X early demos.

Edited by Al Krow

On 01/10/2018 at 17:13, krispn said:

I like the drive on the AO. The X appears to have some hpf and lpf, a comp and a high and low drive. Those features on an AO with the AO mix would appeal to me. AOUX?

Personally I'm looking forward to the Darkglass AEIOU

Edited by Spaced

12 hours ago, Al Krow said:

The soft attack at 035 to 043 and 1.32 to 1.37 was actually pretty tasty; but the I'm not a fan of the harder fizzy-mush he's putting out (which is also very much what I associate with the "DG metal" sound). The latter reminded me not a little of the Tech 21 dUg DP-3X early demos.

The DG pedals are often demoed with the drive full on. Personally I really like them with just a bit of drive. I suspect the X7 can be good like that too. 

With the distortion in the high-band and compression in the low/unaffected tone.. sounds like a very tactile feel to the sound and probably has to be played to be appreciated... Anyone had a go yet? What did you think?

It's interesting reading this topic, refreshing as it seems on talkbass you can't say anything about Darkglass unless it's high praise.

I own a vmt, fantastic 'traditional sounding' drive. I nearly bought a b7k but in the end I bought a Pike Vulcan XL, the Vulcan XL is much more versatile thanks to the colour switch.

I am surprised and slightly disappointed at how similar sounding the AO is to the b7k - to my ears at least. The x7 is a nice idea but again it's not a different enough sound for me.

13 hours ago, Guinness21 said:

I am surprised and slightly disappointed at how similar sounding the AO is to the b7k - to my ears at least. The x7 is a nice idea but again it's not a different enough sound for me.

You need to spend time with them, honestly the AO and b7k are very different!

X7 seems like a b7k replacement, but until I try it its hard to tell.  Ill likely grab an X.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kev said:

X7 seems like a b7k replacement, but until I try it its hard to tell.  Ill likely grab an X.

Colour us surprised! 😀

• Haha 1

On 07/10/2018 at 15:04, Kev said:

Completely agree about the AO and the B7K. The sound I can get from my VMT Ultra is very different from the B7K and the AO. I flip flop between wether I am going to use the B7K and the VMTU depending on how low down the guitarists are invading the bass soundscape. The AO hasn’t quite found a home with me yet. I will try the X7 or the X7U as I really like the idea of compression on the low part but not the high parts. But until I try it in a band setting I can’t really tell. 

On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 00:04, Guinness21 said:

It's interesting reading this topic, refreshing as it seems on talkbass you can't say anything about Darkglass unless it's high praise.

It's the law...

Might have to drop into Bass Direct and give an X a go... Perhaps it's just me but the tone of the bass changes the tactility of the bass - think how back solo'ing your pick-up and adding some mid-conjours up 16th note fingerstyle, etc. Would love to hear/feel what his pedal is like...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a self-confessed Darkglass junkie, and I love the concept of the whole multiband approach they're going for with this - it's something I've been doing myself in the studio for quite some time. However, from the demos I've seen so far I'm not really feeling the tone of the drive that they've gone for with this one. More than happy with my AO and the drive options in the M900. Think I'll be giving this one a miss, but I hope it does well and leads to some other variations.