Why become a member? ×

Darkglass X7

visog

5 minutes ago, Musicman20 said:

I can't keep up. How many bass drive pedals can they make?!

As many as Apple make iGadgets to part you from your dosh. You know the AO and Ultra pedals are now totally 2018 and therefore soon to be obsolete.

1 hour ago, Bridgehouse said:

Looks like a great feature set, and I'm sure it will be brilliant at doing it's thing.

I will, however, definitely not buy one.

I point blank refuse to buy any product that the manufacturer actively chooses to advertise using slap....

Oh, there will be non-slap adverts. ;)

2 hours ago, Musicman20 said:

I can't keep up. How many bass drive pedals can they make?!

I am about the same. I have the b3k which I really like as an alternative to the Sansamp Bass Driver on low drive settings. Higher drive settings on the pedal leave me a bit 'meh' compared to my old Aguilar Agro (R.I.P.). Not that the higher gain settings are bad, they are just not to my taste.

However, I am not entirely convinced that there is that much tonal difference between the Alpha Omega series,  and the b3k/b7k series to warrant another overdrive line. The Vintage series is different enough I suppose I give them a pass on that.

The hpf and lpf filters are admittedly quite cool features. For my purposes though the blend on the b3k works well enough that I don't feel that I need a hpf/lpf filter. 

The only Darkglass pedal I would like to have an 'ultra version' of is the Duality, The Duality is definitely my favourite Darkglass pedal, as it is just a full on over the top fuzz pedal rather than a 'modern metal overdrive' pedal. I would love a separate 3 band EQ to shape the fuzz a bit more. 

22 minutes ago, krispn said:

I like the drive on the AO. The X appears to have some hpf and lpf, a comp and a high and low drive. Those features on an AO with the AO mix would appeal to me. AOUX?

I'm confused as to their choice of pass frequencies on both the lpf and hpf?

Almost seems like they have either got their labelling the wrong way around or should have labelled then low "cut" and high "cut" filters.

Why you'd want an hpf to only allow stuff above 1kHz (at one extreme) through and cut everything below that beats me! I'd much prefer a steep cut hpf that I could set at say 30Hz, rather than having a min 100Hz.

But I'm probably making a rookie mistake...

30 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I'm confused as to their choice of pass frequencies on both the lpf and hpf?

Almost seems like they have either got their labelling the wrong way around or should have labelled then low "cut" and high "cut" filters.

Why you'd want an hpf to only allow stuff above 1kHz (at one extreme) through and cut everything below that beats me! I'd much prefer a steep cut hpf that I could set at say 30Hz, rather than having a min 100Hz.

But I'm probably making a rookie mistake...

Crossover points sound good to me! Don't confuse this with a speaker protection HPF like the Thumpinator, the HPF here only affects the high channel. You could rightly want a 30Hz HPF on the low channel, but that's not where the HPF is in the signal chain.

The HPF just affects the highs going into the distortion and the LPF just affects the lows going into the compressor, both sides run in parallel like the DP3-X. You really don't want anything under 100Hz going to the distortion here, the other channel is taking care of the clean low end. Setting the HPF to 1KHz would be similar to the DP3-X which is fixed at 1.2KHz. Setting it to 500 or 100 would let you have more fullrange distortion without the big hole in the midrange that the DP3-X has.

The only part I don't get is why the lowest setting on the LPF side is 50Hz and the lowest setting on the HPF is 100Hz. If you set the LPF to it's lowest setting you would end up dropping all the critical 50Hz-100Hz range (unless the cutoff slopes aren't that steep), it would make more sense to make 100Hz the lowest for both controls.

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Salt on your Bass? said:

Well it'll be interesting to hear vs the existing darkglass sample even if you don't particularly enjoy his demos....constructive comment though..... 

He uses esoteric equipment and records without a DI using a very coloured rig and microphone. So his demos are completely unlike what you can expect any given pedal to sound...

And his playing style is the bass playing equivalent of a drum fill made up of throwing a drum kit down a flight of stairs... 

See? I can be constructive when I have the time... 

Edited by Bigwan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1