Why become a member? ×

Stuart Zender...

Cicero

On 05/10/2018 at 17:57, BreadBin said:

^^^ Washburn Hammerhead

Yep! Until a couple of months ago, it had been in a gig bag gathering dust for 15 years. No joke! It has the original strings on it 🤣

I bought it as a cheap bass to have around for recordings. Turns out, it's actually not a bad instrument at all. I really like the feel and playability of it.

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Yep! Until a couple of months ago, it had been in a gig bag gathering dust for 15 years. No joke! It has the original strings on it 🤣

I bought it as a cheap bass to have around for recordings. Turns out, it's actually not a bad instrument at all. I really like the feel and playability of it.

They are decent, I have one here myself. 

Our gittard did some work for Jamiraquai out in Buckinghamshire  at JK's mansion ( my pal is ex Solid State Logic whizz kid ) and when he arrived there, he met the whole band and  they were mostly a real friendly bunch, including SZ,  but not including JK.

Apparently, he was a miserable dyck head, wasn't having a laugh with the band but wandering around outside, surveying his kingdom and counting his money in his head. He then kicked off over one of the band, or someone else maybe, about crumbs in the honey jar.

Cocky twart

Edited by fleabag

SZ's lines were a big part of my getting back into bass in the early 2000's. I remember posting on here a few years back that he was a major influence (alongside Flea), and there being a few negative responses. OK, I get the derivative/plagiarism thing, but there was real musical novelty to both of them that IMO many people missed (and all music is derivative in one way or another). And anyway, derivative or not, Zender's timing and feel on many of the early Jamiroquai tracks were sublime

16 hours ago, Beedster said:

OK, I get the derivative/plagiarism thing, but there was real musical novelty to both of them that IMO many people missed (and all music is derivative in one way or another). And anyway, derivative or not, Zender's timing and feel on many of the early Jamiroquai tracks were sublime

I actually much preferred them - the first 3 albums at least - to most of the music they supposedly ripped off. I just loved their whole vibe.

I met Stu and Derrick (drummer) back in the late 90s, when I was helping out on the technical side of a Sony commercial Jay Kay was shooting. Lovely blokes. Got some nice bass kudos going with Stu, talking about Jaco and Larry Graham. 

But JK was a knob. I knew it from the second he roared into the place, in his souped-up AMG Merc. The Sony guys brought him a Winnebago to use as a changing room (everyone else we'd had there, including Premiership footballers, were happy to change in the bogs), he'd only talk to my boss, not us other peons and generally came across as an arrogant, overly-entitled man-child. 

On 08/10/2018 at 15:50, Russ said:

I met Stu and Derrick (drummer) back in the late 90s, when I was helping out on the technical side of a Sony commercial Jay Kay was shooting. Lovely blokes. Got some nice bass kudos going with Stu, talking about Jaco and Larry Graham. 

But JK was a knob. I knew it from the second he roared into the place, in his souped-up AMG Merc. The Sony guys brought him a Winnebago to use as a changing room (everyone else we'd had there, including Premiership footballers, were happy to change in the bogs), he'd only talk to my boss, not us other peons and generally came across as an arrogant, overly-entitled man-child. 

An ex brother in law is a chef and worked at the Brits one year. The staff were finishing up afterwards and JK was the only star to go out of his way to say thanks for the great food!

I have the image of JK as a bit of git but maybe he has his nicer moments (you just need to feed him properly 😂).