Why become a member? ×

Hiscox bass case

jezzaboy

Have used Hiscox cases for years, would recommend them in an instant. Use mine for flights as well, the bass is nicely fit in them so no rattling around. Enough room in the - fairly small compartment - for spare strings/picks/batteries as well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steve Browning said:

The SKB by a mile. I tried both when choosing cases and the SKB was the only one that didn't allow the bass to move around inside. The SKB is a specific fit whereas the Hiscox is essentially a generic case.

Good point - probably best to try with your bass to ensure a snug fit.

Edited by casapete
spelling

I use a Hiscox case for most basses. It came with my Overwater custom 6 string but my Fenders fit very well too. My Thumb bass is a bit narrower on the body and rattles a bit so need to pack it out with foam if i take the Warwick. My Overwater Contemp J4 is too long for it and i had to buy a rectangular case for that one.

I did consider a custom fitted case for my Thumb bass but to be honest i very rarely use it other than at home.

Hiscox case is well built and doesn't feel as bulky to carry as the rectangular case. I noted someone mentioned stacking cases but to be honest i generally load them into vehicles on their edge with the handle facing upwards. I've always found guitars or basses stacked flat in any vehicle tend to slide about a lot.

Only thing i would suggest is that if your bass is very expensive then consider a custom fit case. If its a standard Fender then the Hiscox would be a good buy. 

Afraid i have no experience with the SKB bass cases.

Dave

• Thanks 1

There’s a big difference between hiscox and the rest (including skb) - the lining is bonded to the case throughout and forms part of the structural rigidity of the case.

Day to day, this makes little difference, but in a major incident situation it means that the hiscox will offer a significant degree more strength and survivability - and ultimately protection for the contents. 

• Thanks 1

Hiscox every time for me, i've got 3 of the bass ones, a standard acoustic case, a pro-ii acoustic case, a 335 case, a strat case and a les paul case. my music room looks like an advert for Hiscox! (i've had to label the cases to make it easier to grab the right instrument)

it's the strength of them that i like, when i bought the first one (the standard acoustic case) the guitar shop owner put my guitar in, closed the case then stood on it, that convinced me of their strength, this was reinforced a couple of months later when the guitar was in a caravan that suffereed a blowout, it got hit by a rather large gas bottle and came away with a small scuff on the case, if it had been a traditional plywood case then I have no doubt that the guitar would have been reduced to firewood.

I think there is a video on the Hiscox website that shows the construction method and demonstrates the strength of the case, as well as plenty of user testimonials to the protective qualities of the cases. - https://www.hiscoxcases.com/build-quality/

Matt

• Thanks 1

They (Hiscox) have a tougher ProII spec for their acoustic guitar cases, which is essentially a thicker outer skin.  Might be worth asking about that - I’ve never seen one.  But, I have had a Hiscox get battered about on a couple of flights to the point where it barely closed (edges and hinges all knocked out of shape).  Bass was fine 😎

Dunno about the SKB, but I lately got a Hiscox and it seems pretty good to me. Only drawback is it doesn't have much room for extras - I can only just squeeze a tuner(a fairly large Korg pedal, admittedly} and a couple of cables in. Also, the bass is that snug a fit I can barely get it in with the strap attached and I like to screw the strap on permanent-like. 

Nice and light, though and feels like it'll be fairly airline proof. So far...

Shug