Why become a member? ×

Reverend mercalli?

danbowskill

I've been getting major gas for one of these lately https://www.reverendguitars.com/basses/mercalli-4( in cream). Not much in the way of reviews around ze net.....a couple of you tube vids.

So has anyone on here played or had experience with one? The spec looks awesome for the price.

For reference I play alt rock Drop C tuning 105-50 gauge  with a pick.usually use a P bass

Edited by danbowskill

• 1 year later...

A while back, when I was gigging an awful lot and had an endorsement elsewhere, I shot a speculative email to Ken Haas to see if I could get a Thundergun made with a reverse headstock, explaining I was doing a couple of smallish festivals, while to be honest I didn't fancy taking out any of my expensive basses for these.

Ken was pretty accommodating considering I was just a zero, I do remember him saying, 'my basses love stages' and that really stuck with me.  I think it was more about exposure for Reverend at that juncture than anything else and I still have a soft spot for the marque.  In then end, despite being offered a deal of sorts, the primary caveat was that I'd have to pay in dollars, cover shipping and duties from the USA.  It would have been a great deal if I'd lived in Enid, Oklahoma, but once you factored in import costs, there wasn't much of a difference in UK retail of a similar model.  I appreciated the offer though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Mercalli 4 in metallic copper fire which I bought in January of this year. I bought it unseen and unheard (!) and after a tense six month wait, it finally arrived. I liked it so much I bought a Decision P two months later. These are fantastic basses and live up to the hype. There are exceptionally good value for money, are finished really well, light weight and sound amazing. The blend knob is so simple but effective. It really does give a good tonal sweep. I suppose I tend to favour the Merc over the Decision as those pups are very powerful and can need a bit of taming when using IEMs but it is an absolute beast of a guitar and great fun to crank up at rock gigs.  Best money I've spent in over 25 years of playing bass, after my my Mesa Subway rig. 

2019-01-11 12.08.05.jpg

2019-01-26 21.52.31.jpg

2019-01-27 16.08.35.jpg

2019-03-28 14.24.49.jpg

2019-03-28 15.08.53.jpg

2019-09-06 19.46.47.jpg

Edited by sPiKi
  • Like 7

Rolling the blend forward on both basses gets you into P bass territory with the split brick pick up on the Mercalli and the P blade on the Decision. Roll it back towards the bridge and you have a more mid forward tone. I tend to have the blend set just slightly towards the neck and get a lovely full P tone just with more bite. In reply to the OP this will definitely suit your alt rock sound. I have DR Fat Beams 50-100 on the Mercalli and the SITs on the Decision that it shipped with. Both are SS rounds and they cut through effortlessly. Have a brand new set of Chromes that I may throw on either bass just out of interest. 

The roasted maple neck on both looks and feels great. Satin finish, no sharp fret edges etc. While these are made in S. Korea they are individually set up on the states by the small Reverend team. Having played Fenders for over twenty years inc. a number of US models the quality control and attention to detail puts them to shame. No rattles, buzzing or humming. BTW I don't have anything to do with the Reverend company I'm just a happy customer. On the look out for Rev #3, with new colours and I believe a couple of new models coming next year.

Edited by sPiKi

• 3 years later...

Hi @sPiKi  Have your views on the Mercalli and Decision P changed over time?  My 60th is approaching and Peach guitars in Essex has both the Mercalli 4 and the Decision P in stock and I am very tempted.  My current band plays punk, so its P bass and pick at the moment but I always like the added versatility of something else down nearer the bridge.  Do you still prefer the Mercalli?

Edited by BillyBass

How weird this topic should come back up. I just purchased a Mercalli 4 (in Gunmetal) on Friday and Gigged it Saturday. It's genuinely one of the nicest sounding and playing basses I've ever owned.

The proprietary pickups are *excellent* I'd go as far as to say probably the best I've used on a bass. It has this ability to sound both very clear and refined and very 'deep' - with real body to each plucked note, but with zero mud. It's a very strong sounding instrument that doesn't crap out the harder you play, it just gets louder (or quieter) depending on your playing style.

A lot of the Rev demos and marketing seem to pitch it to rock and indie styles (fair enough given the retro-future styling), but I play in a couple of soul/funk bands and it absolutely excels at this type of music.

PXL_20230211_145948103.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, 40hz said:

How weird this topic should come back up. I just purchased a Mercalli 4 (in Gunmetal) on Friday and Gigged it Saturday. It's genuinely one of the nicest sounding and playing basses I've ever owned.

The proprietary pickups are *excellent* I'd go as far as to say probably the best I've used on a bass. It has this ability to sound both very clear and refined and very 'deep' - with real body to each plucked note, but with zero mud. It's a very strong sounding instrument that doesn't crap out the harder you play, it just gets louder (or quieter) depending on your playing style.

A lot of the Rev demos and marketing seem to pitch it to rock and indie styles (fair enough given the retro-future styling), but I play in a couple of soul/funk bands and it absolutely excels at this type of music.

PXL_20230211_145948103.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Where did you get it?  Essex or Glasgow?

9 hours ago, BillyBass said:

Did you try the 'Triad' while you were there?

I ordered it online! I was close to pulling the trigger on the Triad, but by all accounts the Mercalli has a bit more going on, on the bottom end in comparison, so appealed to me a bit more.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 40hz said:

I ordered it online! I was close to pulling the trigger on the Triad, but by all accounts the Mercalli has a bit more going on, on the bottom end in comparison, so appealed to me a bit more.

I tried both in store and plumped for the Triad.  I preferred the sound of the Triad as had a bit more character to it - I found the Mercalli too smooth for my tastes.  But it's just my opinion - the Mercalli is a fine bass too.  Plus the Triad is a three pickup bass - which historically I've been a sucker for also ;)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, neepheid said:

I tried both in store and plumped for the Triad.  I preferred the sound of the Triad as had a bit more character to it - I found the Mercalli too smooth for my tastes.  But it's just my opinion - the Mercalli is a fine bass too.  Plus the Triad is a three pickup bass - which historically I've been a sucker for also ;)

The Triad looks very tempting.  They had twin stock, a green one and a 'Korina burst' one.  The green Triad has disappeared from their Ebay page, would that be your doing by any chance?

I just happen to be driving up to Northumberland next week, I'm tempted to come back to London via Glasgow; Peach Guitars in Essex doesn't have any Triads.

Edited by BillyBass

59 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

The Triad looks very tempting.  They had twin stock, a green one and a 'Korean burst' one.  The green Triad has disappeared from their Ebay page, would that be your doing by any chance?

I just happen to be driving up to Northumberland next week, I'm tempted to come back to London via Glasgow; Peach Guitars in Essex doesn't have any Triads.

Not guilty, Your Honour, I have had my Triad since August last year.

BTW it's Korina Burst - named after the wood type.

I see Reverend has released some new colours for the Decision P today. Nothing new yet for the Triad or Mercalli. Bit disappointed no new models were released but pleased none of the new colours call out to me :)

image.thumb.png.fc682719e21dca5e7a08a166eb65d335.png

image.thumb.png.1cb822c1e24c7d17703423662c88896b.png

Edited by sPiKi
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

Not guilty, Your Honour, I have had my Triad since August last year.

BTW it's Korina Burst - named after the wood type.

I did write Korina but the predictive spell checking thing thought it knew best.  Now changed

1 hour ago, sPiKi said:

I see Reverend has released some new colours for the Decision P today. Nothing new yet for the Triad or Mercalli. Bit disappointed no new models were released but pleased none of the new colours call out to me :)

image.thumb.png.fc682719e21dca5e7a08a166eb65d335.png

image.thumb.png.1cb822c1e24c7d17703423662c88896b.png

That yellow is calling out to me.  'Venetian Pearl'. I don't know what all the pearls in Venice look like but lemon burst fits.

The other one is called 'Periwinkle'.  Winkle is a word I haven't heard in a while and I certainly won't buy a bass called one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

I did write Korina but the predictive spell checking thing thought it knew best.  Now changed

That yellow is calling out to me.  'Venetian Pearl'. I don't know what all the pearls in Venice look like but lemon burst fits.

The other one is called 'Periwinkle'.  Winkle is a word I haven't heard in a while and I certainly won't buy a bass called one.

Isn't technology wonderful?