Why become a member? ×

What Strings Are Doing it For You?

PatrickJ

Didnt feel like practicing this weekebd so I decided to restring and do basic setups on my basses.

Just put LaBella flats on my Fender PJ and DR Sunbeams onto my Sandberg VT.

Last to go is my Mayones Jabba 5 - haven't decided what to go for as yet (other than will definitely be round wounds of some sort).

What strings are doing it for you guys right now ??

@PJ-Bassist, if you’re looking for rounds to go on your Jabba, have you ever tried Dunlop Superbrights? I use the Nickel Superbrights on my MTD 5er and love them. Good life, nice and flexible tension (not crazy loose but a bit more flexible than “standard”) and I really like the tone. They’ve improved the sound and feel of every bass I’ve put them on. YMMV of course!

I love the Status tapewounds I have on a couple of basses...they are the lightest gauge of Tapewounds that are available here in the UK.

My fretless Spectorcore had flatwounds on - not sure which brand - they are taking a bit of getting used to TBH. 

I also like the coloured DRs - some say they're the same as the normal steels with colour. I'm not convinced.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I also like the coloured DRs - some say they're the same as the normal steels with colour. I'm not convinced.

I had the White Neons on my old Yamaha RBX774 - they were very bright sounding when I first put them on but I left them unchanged for a very long time (about 7 years) and they developed an incredibly satisfying pseudo-precision-like thump. 

Unfortunately, my preferred strings are no longer available, Fender 7350m Stainless Steel Round's. Thankfully, I do have a few packs stashed away for a rainy day.

Been searching the t'interweb for some suitable, not too expensive alternatives. I have managed to get some Elite Stadiums for a decent price, so I think they'll be used for the next string change. I have used them before and liked them, but that was a while ago, and I'll have to see if they are better than the Fenders.

Also used Warwick Red Label previously, they were good (cheap too!), but a bit rough compared to the Fenders.

Loved my Fender flats for a long time, but wanted a bit more zing.

Past 4/5 months, been using the D'addario NYXL's. Drew me back to rounds - love them. Give enough roundy zing when needed, but can also go deep and flat if EQ'd. I'll be sticking with these for a while!

On 30/09/2018 at 15:18, Hobbayne said:

I recently decided to experiment with a heavy gauge string, and am currently using Roto rb50's.

Quite a nice string actually. 😋

If you get the chance, give the D'addario EXL160BT set a try. The E is a 120 but doesn't feel overly high tension

I loved the strings that came on my Fender 7250’s ( I think) but recently acquired a bass with GHS  bass boomer flea signature, and I love them. They are bright and punchy!  Wouldn’t mind trying a set of Dunlop superbrights as well. 

• Like 1

These days I'm giving a try to the NYXL's on my Stingray (maple fb). They sound nice, better than the XL's, but I'd probably return to the Roto RS66LD because they sound thicker and balance the bright character of the instrument. They work well on my PB too. Plus they are cheap. 

Years back I used Rotosound. Some strings broke but I think the quality became better and breaks stopped. Their PSD (piano string design) was lovely.

A 35" fiver took me to GHS super steels (long scale plus; 40-102 and then something for the B). They work well for me and I still have few sets somewhere, I think.

Lately my last ten or twenty sets have been D'Addario EFX220 (40-95). It seems that they are now obsolete, so I have to try to find something similar, like EPS220 or then this tried-and-true GHS.

All my strings are stainless steel roundwounds, on fretless and fretted.

10 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Warwick Red Label steel rounds. Sound great and if I buy 5 or 6 sets at a time work out to less than a tenner a set including delivery. And they last about twice as long as my previous faves.

As we play the same style of music & similar types of bass I really appreciate your input. I've seen you comment on these strings before & just wondered what your previous faves were? I'm currently favouring Rotosound Roto Bass & wondered how the 2 compare?