Why become a member? ×

Time for a change - recommend me a cab

paddy109

I am thinking of changing my cab which is a Barefaced Midget Gen 3 for something else and looking for recommendations in the £500 range. I have recently joined a rock band and use a Orange Terror 500, Fender Flea Jazz and no current effects.

I originally bought  the Midget when playing upright in a folk rock band. I love the weight of the Midget but it just doesn’t seem to have the oomph when playing in my current line up which is considerably louder than my previous band.

I would preferrably like something relatively lightweight. I don’t have the cash to add a second cab and will need to sale the Midget to buy the next cab.

Suggestions greatly received.

Paddy.

29 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

Why not find another Midget?

There's your answer. :)

I have a G3 Midget and it's a very loud cab.  I doubt you'll get a single cab that's louder than your G3 Midget.

I also have a G3 BB2 which is deeper sounding but I don't think it's any louder than the Midget.

Save for a used Midget. 😀

Frank.

As time has gone on I've been through a load of cabs...I'm 100% with amp side, it just seems to work with whatever I push it into.  Recently it's been more a case of looking for a solution to give me more flexibility and I'm picking up a pair of Aguilar SL112s (1x12s) in the next 24 hours.  It'll just give me the opportunity to run them individually, paired as a 2x12, in stereo, or given the application, pairing them with my Barefaced.

I'm not a fan of mixing up cabinets of different sizes, so I'm with @Sparky Mark, just get another Midget.

Am I right, your gen 3 Midget is actually the Super Midget?

I use a Super Compact and I borrowed a Super Midget (they are different cabs but are designed to work together) from Alex. I ran the two on a very loud gig and it filled the room with huge, great sounding bass. My suggestion would be to get an SC from the Classifieds. Even if you have to get a bank loan.

Any rigs that will make you sound better then this will be twice the size.

Edited by chris_b
spelling!!

55 minutes ago, paddy109 said:

Lack of funds currently but I may hang fire for another Barefaced to appear in the classifieds.

Its probably more of a want than a necessity at present 🤔

Haha.  Yes, I was thinking that a G3 Midget is a very loud cab just on its own.  You'd rarely actually need two.:)

Frank.

1 hour ago, edshred said:

think theres a genz benz neox 212 for sale in the adds, totally rate that cab for weight / performance. punches well above its weight easy. its not as light as a compact midget but for what it can do its light.

I saw this but don’t know much about them. What ever cab I expected to buy I knew I would have to increase the weight.

22 hours ago, machinehead said:

There's your answer. :)

I have a G3 Midget and it's a very loud cab.  I doubt you'll get a single cab that's louder than your G3 Midget.

I also have a G3 BB2 which is deeper sounding but I don't think it's any louder than the Midget.

Save for a used Midget. 😀

Frank.

I think this is the answer, sometimes it`s not volume that`s the issue, but the size/depth of the sound. Adding in another Midget (or G3 Compact) will rather obviously double the amount of speakers going and it`s quite astonishing to hear how much difference that makes.

• Thanks 1

I have a Super Twin and it's a monster sound, but sometimes a sledgehammer to crack a nut in smaller venues.  It sounds like you like the Midget, so if you added a Super Compact (when you get the dough), you'll have 3 cracking rigs.   SM, SC, or SM+SC.

I appreciate your dilemma - I need a new bass but the one I want is slightly out of range, but I will wait rather than accept a compromise and spend eternity in the equivalent of bass gear hell. 

• Like 1

garyt - great advice thank you. I’m in no real hurry if I’m honest with myself!

For now Stew has very kindly offered me a loan for a practice/gig and at least at that point I will know the way forward.

Thanks to all that have answered my post.

Paddy.

You could move up to a BF Compact - not a huge weight jump and the Compact or Super Compact will give you more presence.

I've got a Compact which I've considered getting rid of before (was listed but no bites) and the 15" driver IMHO gives a fuller sound compared to the 12" - but that's just personal preference tho.