Why become a member? ×

Cab for hifi?

EdwardMarlowe

I found a lot of online discussions about using hifi speakers for guitar, but.... Not the other way around?

I have a Pioneer sx890 hifi stereo tuner amp which puts out 2 x 60watts in stereo at 8ohms.

I also have a Vox ad212vt http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/ad212.html which can take 8ohms in stereo, rms 80watts each channel. 

Can I, therefore, use this 2x12" cab with pretty good speakers in place of generic hifispeakers? 

1 hour ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

I found a lot of online discussions about using hifi speakers for guitar, but.... Not the other way around?

I have a Pioneer sx890 hifi stereo tuner amp which puts out 2 x 60watts in stereo at 8ohms.

I also have a Vox ad212vt http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/ad212.html which can take 8ohms in stereo, rms 80watts each channel. 

Can I, therefore, use this 2x12" cab with pretty good speakers in place of generic hifispeakers? 

Guitar speakers have a tailored response that is often peaked in the mids and the top end rolls off fairly quickly. Yes you will be able to use them, They might even go loud, but the sound you hear will be less than HiFi. 

• Thanks 2

What Dood said. Seconded.

Check out this Q.Acoustics  3020 in Matt Graphite - bargain at Richer Sounds - 

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/standmount-speakers.html

Search online for reviews of the same. Learn it's strengths and it's weaknesses, but I think it's a good place to start. The whathifi.co.uk site also does a lot of reviews.

PS. I don't own anything Q Acoustic.

Edited by Balcro
  • Thanks 1

On 28/09/2018 at 22:47, Dood said:

Guitar speakers have a tailored response that is often peaked in the mids and the top end rolls off fairly quickly. Yes you will be able to use them, They might even go loud, but the sound you hear will be less than HiFi. 

Thanks, yes - that's what I'd figured would be the case, but thought I'd ask around just in  case. It's not easy to find (or afford!) hifi speakers with lovely, big 12" drivers in 'em.... The Voxcab will have to join the long list of gear that's got to be sold off before I buy any more guitars. (Weirdly, I'm quite excited about flushing out over half the collection.... the only thing I'm struggling with a bit is my Korean Epi LP - lovely guitar, I'm just over LPs. I know if I could sell it for what it cost, I'd not think twice, but somehow the old thought of it being worth much less than I think it "should" be bothers me with that one than any other.)

On 29/09/2018 at 17:30, Balcro said:

What Dood said. Seconded.

Check out this Q.Acoustics  3020 in Matt Graphite - bargain at Richer Sounds - 

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/standmount-speakers.html

Search online for reviews of the same. Learn it's strengths and it's weaknesses, but I think it's a good place to start. The whathifi.co.uk site also does a lot of reviews.

PS. I don't own anything Q Acoustic.

Q Acoustics are definitely on the list as a brand to check out. I think I'll be looking for something 'woody' to keep it matching in with the other bits (and keep Herself onside). I'm torn between buy some great speakers from the affordable endat RS or going all out on the Klipsh bookshelf speakers at around three-fifty.... in a perfect world I'd have a pair of the BIG Klipshes with the 12" drivers already,  but my budget for the whole system is less than they cost! 

Thanks, folks. 

29 minutes ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

It's not easy to find (or afford!) hifi speakers with lovely, big 12" drivers in 'em.

Some oldies like these would fit the bill! I've got their big brother, the 66 series 2 and they're the dog's...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Celestion-Ditton-44-Speakers-/253895374369

On 01/10/2018 at 13:01, Leonard Smalls said:

On 02/10/2018 at 08:54, ianrendall said:

I do like the idea of pumping Bach through a Barefaced. 

Some oldies like these would fit the bill! I've got their big brother, the 66 series 2 and they're the dog's...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Celestion-Ditton-44-Speakers-/253895374369

Ha, yeah.... I always wondered why the likes of Fender or Marshall never got into hifi speakers, given their cab expertise.... Howcool would a nice pair of speakers look in tweed tolex with brown-oxblood grillecloth? 

I'd adore a pair of 66s; my fantasy is actually apair of the big Klipshes, but alas She Who Must Be Obeyed, while very tolerant of my obsessions, has rules out Big Speakers. (I've got my own way on the 50" TV, so I can't complain!)  In any case, it's a small flat, so. The QAcoustic 3020is really look great - I just need to check out whether they would work with my amp (it putsout at 8ohms, while the QAs are rated 6 ohms). They'd also sit neatly on the unit I intend to build for the stereo, which would be Popular Around Here. 

13 minutes ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

Ha, yeah.... I always wondered why the likes of Fender or Marshall never got into hifi speakers, given their cab expertise.... Howcool would a nice pair of speakers look in tweed tolex with brown-oxblood grillecloth? 

I'd adore a pair of 66s; my fantasy is actually apair of the big Klipshes, but alas She Who Must Be Obeyed, while very tolerant of my obsessions, has rules out Big Speakers. (I've got my own way on the 50" TV, so I can't complain!)  In any case, it's a small flat, so. The QAcoustic 3020is really look great - I just need to check out whether they would work with my amp (it putsout at 8ohms, while the QAs are rated 6 ohms). They'd also sit neatly on the unit I intend to build for the stereo, which would be Popular Around Here. 

I’d pay very good money for a Gallien Krueger hifi!

• Like 1

For a few years at University I was the sounddesk guy for the CU praise band. Learned a lot about music and getting a good balance between instruments from that. The lead guitar player had a GK hybrid amp we used to call the Concrete Elephant because it weighed a ton, but despite being very modern looking, it had lovely, vintage style sounds. The 60s-styled Fender clean type tone on it were fantastic especially, really warm and characterful. 

On 02/10/2018 at 08:54, ianrendall said:

I do like the idea of pumping Bach through a Barefaced. 

I can tell you that up loud, all sorts of music sounds really good through a pair of BB2 cabinets.