Why become a member? ×

Bass options for a 4yr old!

tonyclaret

My little lad just can't get enough of music and has spent the last 2 weeks trying to play daddies bass. I was wondering what options there are for little ones of such a tender age. Thought about a short scale but still think the body of this might be to heavy. Any suggestions? Cheers Proud Dad

Edited by tonyclaret
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

A u bass would probably be just the right size 😀

Yup, I'd agree with something like one of those mini basses. I've not checked but maybe Gear4Music or Thomann do something that won't eat the credit card.

You need something like this (the little white one, obvs)... bought as a giggle many moons ago from a long-gone member of this parish. It's tuned to A (above E) because I've never had the time or patience to find the right gauges for it. 

PSX_20180929_122802.jpg

3 hours ago, Rich said:

You need something like this (the little white one, obvs)... bought as a giggle many moons ago from a long-gone member of this parish. It's tuned to A (above E) because I've never had the time or patience to find the right gauges for it. 

PSX_20180929_122802.jpg

That's a good size, what make is that?

Maybe not this (my grandson not quite 4yo)

Seriously a u-bass or Mikro are good options, but I'd suggest taking him to look before buying one. I got a good uke for this little guy, and he has a 3/4 guitar, but he isn't very interested in either - he only really wants my Aerodyne. "I want the big one!" 

IMG_0385.thumb.jpg.d3dfa1d1363c689ca0e0cf152a92a2ac.jpg

• Like 1

A solid body u-bass might be a good option, as a bonus they work great for travel or to get a more double bass sound, I've got the acoustic u-bass and get way more use from it than I thought I would, the solid body has the bonus of being just like a scaled down "regular" bass

On 29/09/2018 at 12:33, Rich said:

PSX_20180929_122802.jpg

What's the scale length on that?  You could probably use the BEAD strings off a five string set and tune to EADG.

Nice - I'd like one of those to keep in the car as an emergency bass