Why become a member? ×

Royal Fail

paul_5

I recently bought a DHA VT2 from PBasspecial of this parish and it arrived damaged; RM had managed  to smash (utterly) both valves despite liberal amounts of bubble-wrap, foam peanuts and a sturdy cardboard box marked ‘fragile’. 

I put in a claim for compensation as I had to shell out for 2 new valves. 

Yesterday I received a letter acknowledging that it had been damaged, but as they were unsure of when, where or how they were unable to issue compensation.

They enclosed their ‘sincere apologies’ and a book of 6 first-class stamps, presumably for crushing other things, saving me future visits to my local waste dump. What a bunch of utter flipwits. 

Naturally I’m taking the claim further.

B3226540-69DF-44EF-92E8-72A695F1B358.thumb.jpeg.8816fb9827ec69c7dface6693c289fc1.jpeg 

• Confused 1

Yesterday I received a letter acknowledging that it had been damaged, but as they were unsure of when, where or how they were unable to issue compensation.

Errrrrrrrrrrr...... When: Whilst in your possession. Where: Whilst in your possession. How: I refer you to my last comments. I just don't understand how that's so difficult to comprehend. Oh!! Wait!!! Maybe, just maybe, they think they handle everything with kid gloves. It's just that everyone sends broken sh*t for the sheer hell of it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paul_5 said:

49 minutes ago, Dood said:

Errrrrrrrrrrr...... When: Whilst in your possession. Where: Whilst in your possession. How: I refer you to my last comments. I just don't understand how that's so difficult to comprehend. Oh!! Wait!!! Maybe, just maybe, they think they handle everything with kid gloves. It's just that everyone sends broken sh*t for the sheer hell of it!

If ever there was a generic, would be "get out of jail free" card this is it. If this sticks they'll never have to pay out ever again.

Reminds of a criminal who was gate arrested (as they were leaving jail) for theft of "goods unknown, location unknown..."

Facking chancers...

23 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

If ever there was a generic, would be "get out of jail free" card this is it. If this sticks they'll never have to pay out ever again.

Reminds of a criminal who was gate arrested (as they were leaving jail) for theft of "goods unknown, location unknown..."

Facking chancers...

UPS: "We won't be paying out that rather large sum of money in insurance, because due to the failings of our staff members not logging that they had actually picked up and moved through the depot a rather huge box that they agree matches the description of the lost one they recall having picked up, you've not been able to prove that we actually picked it up. Case closed."

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

They all seem to be terrible, hope RM don't get away with this. It's just lack of care and that is within the power of any of these companies to fix, from the top down.

The Mrs was packing something the other day, my advice was "Pack it as if they're going to kick it all the way there". And even when we do they still break things.

Edited by adamg67

The old timers amongst you will recall the tale of OldGit and his Hohner B2A that was entrusted to RM's "care". When it arrived, the neck was bent. Not just bowed, but bent. The only conclusion that could be reached was that a truck had driven over it. IIRC, it wasn't until he started badgering RM's chief executive directly that he got any form of compensation.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Sad stuff. It's standard practice to remove valves, and pack them separately. They could still get broken, of course, but it takes quite a bit more willpower. Too late for this one, but might help someone else another time..? ;)

I would agree. It's also a rubbish bit of design to leave any part of the valves exposed. 

It might look cool but it's not in the slightest bit practical.

• Like 2

Not helpful I guess, but as has already been said, the valves should have been removed a packed securely and separately. I’m surprised that Royal Mail haven’t said that, or maybe they will. 

Fragile stickers and tape are a great idea, I’m sure as much as possible the staff probably do take note, but a lot of the sorting process; especially for smaller items is automated, conveyer belts etc and scanners that read the bar coded labels.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mentalextra said:

I can't believe RM totally ignored the word 'fragile' on the box!!

The problem is that a lot of the sorting and delivery process is automated. They’re also dealing with tens of thousands of items a day, it’s not practical to separate the fragile items and sort them separately.

I’m not defending them, merely pointing out that a fragile sticker won’t protect the item, that’s entirely down to the packaging.

• Like 1

To give balance to this thread. I didn't want to remove the valves as they seemed very tight and didn't wish to break them. I also over packed the box with loads of bubble wrap, peanut packing, cardboard, etc. So much so that the top of the box was slightly bulging. Paul said there was nothing more I could have done.

I believe that they must have either kicked it around the depot or the word 'fragile' is code to RM workers for please break. 

I offered to chase it up and replace one of the valves (mullard).

Not sure what more I could have done. Wanted to set the record straight 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pbasspecial said:

I believe that they must have either kicked it around the depot or the word 'fragile' is code to RM workers for please break. 

Don't really want to chip in, but on behalf on the majority of honest and diligent RM workers, I find this assumption to be a little offensive. Do you really think people kick items around? Good grief. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pbasspecial said:

To give balance to this thread. I carefully packed the box, then kicked it up and down the road a few times before handing it over at the post office

Not sure what more I could have done. Wanted to set the record straight

FTFY

Edited by Norris

8 hours ago, mentalextra said:

I can't believe RM totally ignored the word 'fragile' on the box!!

6 hours ago, ambient said:

...a fragile sticker won’t protect the item, that’s entirely down to the packaging.

Adding a 'fragile' sticker is likely to attract 'special treatment'. If I'm sending something fragile, I'd never advertise the fact on the package.

1 hour ago, spongebob said:

Do you really think people kick items around?

Yes, I do. Not by you obviously, but items do get kicked around, or at least arrive in a kicked-around state. It does happen I'm sure.

Edited by discreet

I think some of you are missing the seriousness of the situation here. We have a relationship between the Basschat buyer and seller who both did their best I.e. Prompt payment and then excellent packaging and fast delivery, only for this to be ruined by the ineptitude of RM. This will only make BC buyers and sellers reluctant to trade in the future if through no fault of their own, RM fail, damage the products and accept no responsibilities for their actions. 

Edited by pbasspecial

22 minutes ago, pbasspecial said:

I think some of you are missing the seriousness of the situation here. We have a relationship between the Basschat buyer and seller who both did their best I.e. Prompt payment and then excellent packaging and fast delivery, only for this to be ruined by the ineptitude of RM. This will only make BC buyers and sellers reluctant to trade in the future if through no fault of their own, RM fail, damage the products and accept no responsibilities for their actions. 

Seriousness is relative... I don't think this will stop BC members from trading, but it might make them reluctant to post anything really valuable for a while. Sending items by post always carries a certain amount of risk and if something goes wrong it's difficult to get compensation. This has been the case for as long as I can remember and it's always a lottery. Little comfort when it happens to you. But Royal Mail need to make money for their shareholders - that's their priority.

The only way to be 100% sure of avoiding loss or damage is for sellers to deliver items personally or have buyers collect them.

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, pbasspecial said:

I understand you are both upset. In the past 2 weeks there have been at least 3 threads about the incompetencies of 3 different couriers. The forum history is littered with similar threads. Unfortunately I have yet to see a thread about a courier that has never mistreated packages, damaged or lost goods or compensated without quibbling. There have been comments about individuals who have been very professional, but unless the entire company works to the same level, I fear this will continue to be a recurring theme. You did all you could, but lucked out in this instance, and that's what it seems to come down to - luck

Neither buyers or sellers have any control over what the couriers do with a package. I don't think writing 'fragile', 'glass', 'do not bend' or 'do not crush' on a package makes any difference, or at least since the 1950s? They are 'scanned', nobody has the time or inclination to go through thousands of parcels reading them? Bearing in mind the volumes, i think its unrealistic to expect RM to deliver parcels individually on a velvet cushion. 

50 minutes ago, Norris said:

...but what they could do is to provide some good customer service when things do go wrong rather than automatically denying culpability. Unfortunately that's what seems to be really lacking 

Absolutely agree, but good customer service costs money. I don't have actual proof that privatisation has had a negative effect on RM's service and other delivery services are available. Just sayin'.

I wouldn't use Royal Mail for anything fragile. We stopped using them for everything aside from letters at work as the service was so poor, far too many lost and damaged packages to make them viable and trying to get any form of recompense out of them is like getting blood out of a stone. Like Parcel Force their customer services are designed to discourage rather than to assist. Shame as they used to be pretty good.

Edited by lemmywinks