Why become a member? ×

That “should I, shouldn’t I?” thing...

Bridgehouse

19 minutes ago, GuyR said:

It's a bass. Keep it. Buy others.

This is the thinking that makes this site great...keep up the good work.

6 minutes ago, Painy said:

If it helps, I'm prepared to look after it for you for say a year or two - just so you can see if you'd really miss it or not. 

I'm nice like that. 😁

A pure Gentleman...I love your scientific approach

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

Flog it man.

Life's too short to have things you're not using clogging up your life, and locking up money that you could use for something you really want. 

You've already got '64 P, so I think you're covered for cool vintage Fenders eh?

Yeah. I know. Which is why it isn’t getting played...

On 28/09/2018 at 18:49, Bridgehouse said:

50/50 on the "keep" or "sell" poll...

You lot are no bloody help at all! 😁

I go through this process...

-i have this bass. It’s a cool bass and I like it...

-but it’s not getting played - not doing any harm on my wall though

- but if I sold for X I would have them money for Y (or even do a trade) 

- I prefer Y to X - so regardless of market value or YOB I wouldn’t regret it. 

Its worked for me, “swapped” a JV p bass for a thumb (I added money) and a BB1200 for a L1000 I adore. And the thumb is up for a potential sale now... it works for me as a thought process and also helps with selling as you know the figure where dropping the price isn’t worth it for you

• Like 1

On 28/09/2018 at 15:25, Bridgehouse said:

So I have this Olympic white 74 Precision. All original, pretty roadworn, but looks the biz. I’m kinda thinking I should swap it out for another fretless or something else that would actually get used. Ugh. I just don’t know. Anyone else have those decision-making-paralysis moments?

Yes, and if you let that 74 P go you will regret it. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.

Edited by discreet

Had some people round this weekend and we had a nice Jam in our music room. Drums, bass and a couple of guitars. 

Decided to use the 74 tongove it a workout and see how I feel about it. Towards the end I whipped out the ACG instead and there was no contest. It’s a fab bass but I don’t know whether it’s doing it for me. I actually think I’d rather have another fretless.

Hmmm

8 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Had some people round this weekend and we had a nice Jam in our music room. Drums, bass and a couple of guitars. 

Decided to use the 74 tongove it a workout and see how I feel about it. Towards the end I whipped out the ACG instead and there was no contest. It’s a fab bass but I don’t know whether it’s doing it for me. I actually think I’d rather have another fretless.

Hmmm

For the value of the ‘74 that would afford you a very nice new fretless from ACG? 

2 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Or even a new fretted ACG and convert the fretted to fretless .... I’m not helping am I? 

No, but that’s fine.. there’s so many other custom fretless basses knocking around that appeal - and there’s value in the 74 that could be used for it...

Ok so you've established that you don't really want/need the '74. 

I guess it just depends on whether you're happy to hang on to it, in case the value continues to increase, or have your eye on something for which the '74 would be a ready source of money. 

No right/wrong answer to that one.  

It doesn't sound so much like you might miss playing it - more that you might regret what you sold it for in a couple of years.