Why become a member? ×

That “should I, shouldn’t I?” thing...

Bridgehouse

So I have this Olympic white 74 Precision. All original, pretty roadworn, but looks the biz. 

Thing is, it hangs on my wall and pretty much doesn’t get played. If I want a P with some old vibe to it, I use the 64. It’s a YOB bass, so it’s sort of special, but I don’t have much history with it. I’ve never gigged it or recorded with it. 

So I’m kinda thinking I should swap it out for another fretless or something else that would actually get used. Ugh. I just don’t know.

Anyone else have those decision-making-paralysis moments?

Never understood the whole YOB thing really. I guess I'd keep it if I had room, it's nice to have things holding value that you can sell if you really need to - but if it's in the way or if it means you can't get a bass you'd use more, absolutely I'd sell. 

• Like 2

Just now, ped said:

Never understood the whole YOB thing really. I guess I'd keep it if I had room, it's nice to have things holding value that you can sell if you really need to - but if it's in the way or if it means you can't get a bass you'd use more, absolutely I'd sell. 

I think I’m going through that “I don’t use it, but what if I miss it when I sell it/trade it?” thing.

Yeah, I know I know, first world problems huh? :crazy:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bridgehouse said:

I think I’m going through that “I don’t use it, but what if I miss it when I sell it/trade it?” thing.

Yeah, I know I know, first world problems huh? :crazy:

I do it sometimes. If it’s been literally a year or more since I last thought it and haven’t used the item, and it’s not going up in value, I sell. Recently did it with loads of camera gear. 

1 minute ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

If in doubt, keep it. Don’t be the one (of many) that let something go and has never be able to get it back again.

You know, I’ve never regretted any bass I’ve moved on. Life is too short for that sort of thing. 

If it was something I regularly gigged or recorded with then it would probably be different. Well, maybe. But this one hasn’t got that special connection. 

• Like 1

Just now, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I’ve never regretted any bass that I have moved on either, but I’ve never moved any on that I wasn’t absolutely certain about. Which I didn’t think you were 😀

And you are right, I’m not ;)

But the thing is, I’m not sure why I’m not...

I'm another one who doesn't get the YOB thing.

Maybe it would be different if I had a pre CBS birth date?

But as it stands I'd much rather have a brand spanking new Stingray or just about any other top end bass from now than anything from my Y.O.B. in the 1970s .

1 minute ago, Cato said:

I'm another one who doesn't get the YOB thing.

Maybe it would be different if I had a pre CBS birth date?

But as it stands I'd much rather have a brand spanking new Stingray or just about any other top end bass from now than anything from my Y.O.B. in the 1970s .

I bought it as a YOB and tbh it feels like it should be more special to me than it actually is...

I bought a YOB bass,probably for the same reason as yourself "it's a YOB" 😃 

Realised it's a bloody stupid idea 😃 Nobody really cares if you tell them. A newspaper from your D.O.B they can read but a bass built overseas by strangers ? 

Glad you posted,reminded me to dig mine out the back of the cupboard and punting it pronto 👍 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, ped said:

Oh no - what happened to it! Did you leave it outside on the bench? 

It's a long long story...

So it has two pickup solutions - an under fingerboard mag (jazz style) and the ghost piezo saddles... the ghost saddles were run through a ghost acoustiphonic preamp. Well, the acoustiphonic preamp gave up the "ghost" lol. Farty noise followed by no piezo output. The preamp is kaput. I also swapped out the mag pickup for a Nordstrand, and it highlighted the fact that the (now 10 years old) preamp for the mag is, in fact, a bit rubbish.. either that or it's also kaput. 

So - all innards ripped out. 

Now, as the rest of the bass excluding the electronics is frankly just about the best instrument I have ever played.. I wanted a solution that would do the bass justice. No more crappy graph tech preamps for me. I'm going to keep the graph tech ghost piezo saddles, and they are now rewired to a single "hot" and "ground" connection, ready for a new solution..

Having sampled his delights before, I decided to approach John East - mainly as I honestly think he does the very best stuff. John embraced the project with gusto, and rather than cobbling something together, he's properly adapting a UP-4 to accommodate a piezo and mag input, with a single volume and blend, a piezo HF roll off tone control, a mid with mid sweep stacked, and a treble/bass stacked, with pull bright and all the trimmings, including an active/passive switch so I can amp the piezos off bass if I want, and a mute switch to kill everything (something I wish every bass had). 

It's now at the "he's making it" stage. He's a busy chap (for good reason) and so it's taken a little while to get to this point. But, ultimately, I should end up with the electronics that the bass actually deserves - a Nordstrand noiseless Jazz and piezo saddles going into a custom John East preamp system..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

You only ever realise why once you’ve sold it.

i tell a lie, I did it once with a Rickenbacker 4001 about 35 years ago and have avoided a repeat of that  mistake.

By never buying a Rick ever again?? That would be the ideal solution.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

50/50 on the "keep" or "sell" poll...

You lot are no bloody help at all! 😁

As me ole' mother used to say (not really, far too wise for her...) "Fools rush in, where Angels fear to tread" - don't be making any rash decisions you're likely to regret.

Put it in a case, under your bed, and come back to it in 6 months time. I bet you'll be surprised how well it plays (well maybe not...it is a Fender 😁😁) and decide to give it more use...

Me? I'd keep it (if it was anything other than a Fender, a Rick, a Warwick...😄😄

7 minutes ago, Painy said:

If it helps, I'm prepared to look after it for you for say a year or two - just so you can see if you'd really miss it or not. 

I'm nice like that. 😁

Serious? That’s really kind of you. In return I can “look after” that £2k for you as well :D

• Haha 3