Why become a member? ×

Burns or Baldwin

BlueMoon

20180928_101142.thumb.jpg.b5bfea3aae6c42ab576d70f241109200.jpg

I didn't see many references to Burns basses, although they have been remanufactured for longer than the original company was in existence. Here's my first "real" bass. I've had it since 1974 when it was  already10 years old (Nov 64). Beaten up and crusty (or is that mojo?) I sometimes have to nurse the truss rod (a funky geared version with a special adjusting key), but find that she seems happy with low tension flexible flats. For that classic Serge Gainsbough/Jane Birkin sound played with a plectrum (pick) close to the neck pu.....you can't beat it.

Here's my early 60s Burns Sonic, which was my first bass bought in 1981.

DSC01541.jpg

It had already been heavily modified when I bought it, and I had to make further replacements (the bridge, machine heads and all the electronics bar the pickups) to keep it in a playable condition.

And here is my newest bass a Burns Barracuda Bass VI bought earlier this year.

DSC00343.jpg

Out of all the easily obtainable Bass VIs this is the one that suits me the best, although it still has several short-comings notably the string spacing at the bridge due to using an unmodified version of guitar vibrato system. It will probably end up being replaced by something custom made to my specifications.

• 1 month later...