Why become a member? ×

SBL Technique Accelerator Course

PatrickJ

35 minutes ago, tpoolan said:

I enrolled on this for exactly the reason visog mentions above - if I've paid for it, I'm more likely to keep at it.

So far, it's been very, very helpful. Two lessons in and my posture is better and I'm rebuilding my right-hand technique, which was always shaky.

I don't know if mine has improved, but I have become more aware of it, which is probably a good thing, and aware of how I am playing a string too.

Awesomeness to date.  My heart sank when I learned we were to spend the first week on just holding the bass.  And the second lesson just working on the plucking hand's middle two fingers.  But in fact it's been great and already improved my playing no end - speed, volume control, accuracy, sense of rhythm n so forth. Mind you, as the postman said through my shed window the other day 'look on it this way, you can only get better'.  Cheeky blighter.

Can't imagine how he's going to fill the other 24 lessons but enjoying it so far.

• Like 1

Guest Marcoelwray

I didn't read the entire topic but I was one year on SBL, I will never go back on this school. The content is quite pertinent but I can't stand Mr Devine anymore, he's too much on the buzz, clickbait, buisness way for me.

Some masterclass are really intersting though, like Rich Brown's ones.

38 minutes ago, Marcoelwray said:

I didn't read the entire topic but I was one year on SBL, I will never go back on this school. The content is quite pertinent but I can't stand Mr Devine anymore, he's too much on the buzz, clickbait, buisness way for me.

Some masterclass are really intersting though, like Rich Brown's ones.

Maybe try reading the thread next time...even the title would have been a start😉

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

IMO..... you take what you need from instruction, take from it what's useful to you, and ignore what isn't. Like someone said earlier, you can loose a bit of your individuality if you follow to the letter what someone else is showing you. Singing/lessons is the same, keep your own voice and take on board the stuff that helps you improve your own technique. Be yourself, always.

• Like 1

I'm enjoying the course and it has even made me realise what a good bass guitar I have.  Before I embarked on the technique course I thought I had bought the wrong type of bass as it felt awkward and heavy.  After learning how to hold the thing properly and get the guitar balanced things began to change.  The 3rd lesson - using the thumb on the plucking hand to mute the strings - was a real eye opener.  I have been anchoring my thumb on the end of the fret board and not moving my hand position at all.  Moving my plucking hand back from the neck to between the two pickups was strange at first.  I was fumbling for notes and kept "falling off" the stings but after a short time things began to come together.  I like my bass a whole lot more now!

Getting the basics in place may seem a little tedious at first but it pays dividends later on.

• 1 month later...

I am on week 7. I think it's pretty good but the videos are waaaaaaaay too long. 52 minutes for this one. If I practise technique for 15 minutes a day it makes an appreciable difference. So ideally the videos would be 10 minutes and then crack on with the practise. 

I am a day behind, and I agree, finding the time for an hour video can be tricky, but something is changing. I was playing a gig on saturday an I was looking at my fingers. I was fretting with the index finger and my little finger was a short way above the string ready to go down. As I was very much in the flying finger camp, something is going in! And I can say I was also muting.

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I am a day behind, and I agree, finding the time for an hour video can be tricky, but something is changing. I was playing a gig on saturday an I was looking at my fingers. I was fretting with the index finger and my little finger was a short way above the string ready to go down. As I was very much in the flying finger camp, something is going in! And I can say I was also muting.

I think there is no doubt that the first five weeks made a difference to me. I think the whole thing is a great idea. Would just be helpful if say you were going to dedicate 2 hours a week that that was 7 15 minute practices and a 15 minute video! I just fast forward the videos now. Do the exercises. 

+1.  Somewhat to my surprise, my playing is morphing to the good - and this is with a 6 string!

I don't think you'll ever stop Scott waffling.  I think we should cut some slack to a guy who's so on the detail that he has spent years watching videos of bassists just to see whether they're holding their fingers like this, or like that. And that's on top of all the other things he has achieved/taught himself. And TBF he does stop now and again to summarise.   

Edited by lownote12

19 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

+1.  Somewhat to my surprise, my playing is morphing to the good - and this is with a 6 string!

I don't think you'll ever stop Scott waffling.  I think we should cut some slack to a guy who's so on the detail that he has spent years watching videos of bassists just to see whether they're holding their fingers like this, or like that. And that's on top of all the other things he has achieved/taught himself. And TBF he does stop now and again to summarise.   

Apart from the format and exercises, is anything fundamentally different from the SBL academy courses?

1 hour ago, lownote12 said:

Sure. I think he has done an amazing thing. Especially from a business point of view. All power to his elbow. However maybe he could do two versions of the videos. 5 minutes and 50 minutes! 

3 hours ago, No. 8 Wire said:

Apart from the format and exercises, is anything fundamentally different from the SBL academy courses?

Dunno, not in the Academia so i can't say. But when I was in I never saw anything like the accelerator.  After 8 weeks we've just covered holding the bass, how to hold your fingering hand and how to pluck with two fingers.  Yet that tiny detail stuff is transforming my bass playing.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

Dunno, not in the Academia so i can't say. But when I was in I never saw anything like the accelerator.  After 8 weeks we've just covered holding the bass, how to hold your fingering hand and how to pluck with two fingers.  Yet that tiny detail stuff is transforming my bass playing.  

I guess i meant any changes from the SBL fundamentals courses which haven't changed since you left. From what you've said it sound like concentrating on little things in nano detail.  The sort of thing we don't do let to our own devices!