Why become a member? ×

Little Shop Of Horrors Bass Music

MikeyMcMikeMike

On 28/09/2018 at 09:07, SpondonBassed said:

Has anyone else got a dentist like this?

Welcome to the forum Mikey.  Are you a pit bassist then?

Thank you buddy, I have been wondering what sort of player I want to be and I have realised recently that a pit bassist is what I want to be. So, I am starting to get a few gigs now so hopefully will be sooner rather than later. What about you?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MikeyMcMikeMike said:

Thank you buddy, I have been wondering what sort of player I want to be and I have realised recently that a pit bassist is what I want to be. So, I am starting to get a few gigs now so hopefully will be sooner rather than later. What about you?

It's good work but I suppose it can be seasonal.

I'm a hobby bassist only.  It's been keeping me out of trouble since I came back to it.  I'd had thirty years break after I quit the band in my early twenties.  It's great when I get an opportunity to play ensemble but I am not looking to gig regularly.

Good to hear you got your music.  I enjoyed the film version of LSoH.  Break legs as they say.

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/09/2018 at 15:58, ianrendall said:

I’ve been pitting for 20+ years. It’s a great experience. Once you get known on the circuit, it’s wise to find a good dep as they in turn will return the favour. And always bring your own music stand light!

Excuse the late reply.  Thank you for the advice, where I’m from opportunities may be limited but I’ll make something work. What is your favourite show to work on?

4 hours ago, MikeyMcMikeMike said:

Excuse the late reply.  Thank you for the advice, where I’m from opportunities may be limited but I’ll make something work. What is your favourite show to work on?

Well panto’s are always a laugh. But my favourite musical shows I’ve done are probably West Side Story and Sweeny Todd. 

5 minutes ago, ianrendall said:

Well panto’s are always a laugh. But my favourite musical shows I’ve done are probably West Side Story and Sweeny Todd. 

I was a full time pit player for about 25 years or so. I must say WSS, along with Jesus Christ Superstar were my favourites to play. Both very different of course. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lowdown said:

I was a full time pit player for about 25 years or so. I must say WSS, along with Jesus Christ Superstar were my favourites to play. Both very different of course. 

That’s quite an achievement lowdown , I can imagine it to be varied and interesting. 

5 hours ago, ianrendall said:

@lowdown @scalpy WSS was definitely a baptism of fire for me. I’d been playing bass less than 2 years and albeit I have been a reader and a good sightreader from day one thanks to my previous musical knowledge of church organ, ‘The Rumble’ gave me nightmares!

The thing about West side is although it is tricky, there’s not much in it that is stupid, because it’s arranged so beautifully. The Rumble certainly has some ‘corners’ (we never managed it the same every night!) but it’s clever. Let’s Have Lunch from Sunset is 10+ pages of bass concerto practically, key and time signatures changing constantly, all over the neck and just incessant. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oOMR6ecEPXI