Why become a member? ×

Elwray Infinga 4 Bass - Reviews

Silvia Bluejay

Ok so I picked up the bass from Gary a little while ago and I must say I was hugely impressed , firstly the pics dont do this bass justice its definitely a looker 😍

The fixtures and fittings are high quality and very user friendly everything works well for me 

The pickups are lovely and compliment the woods used to achieve a lovely tone and unlike a lot of bass's each pickup has a distinct and very usable sound used individually as well as combined 

The bass balances perfectly on the strap and although the neck is a little thick for me it's highly playable and probably adds to the tone 

Overall I like it both aesthetically and functionally and would love to have had it longer to record/gig with it  ...whoever gets it next your in for a treat 👍

Thanks very much to Marco for the opportunity to play this delight of an instrument 👍👍

Here's a quick phone vid where I use front pickup alone halfway on tone

back pickup alone halfway on tone

both pickups full tone 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gary mac said:

The bass has left my gaff and is now in the hands of @timhiggins for at least a couple of hours, until he delivers to @Grangur who is taking it on to the west country :)

Great to meet Bass Chatter Tim today, a very fine chap.:) 

It was my pleasure Gary great to meet you ..I'm just tying to upload a little vid bare with me 👍

• Like 1

Ok so I picked up the bass from Gary a little while ago and I must say I was hugely impressed , firstly the pics dont do this bass justice its definitely a looker 😍

The fixtures and fittings are high quality and very user friendly everything works well for me 

The pickups are lovely and compliment the woods used to achieve a lovely tone and unlike a lot of bass's each pickup has a distinct and very usable sound used individually as well as combined 

The bass balances perfectly on the strap and although the neck is a little thick for me it's highly playable and probably adds to the tone 

Overall I like it both aesthetically and functionally and would love to have had it longer to record/gig with it  ...whoever gets it next your in for a treat 👍

Thanks very much to Marco for the opportunity to play this delight of an instrument 👍👍

Here's a quick phone vid where I use front pickup alone halfway on tone

back pickup alone halfway on tone

both pickups full tone 

Guest Marcoelwray

@tthiggins thank you so much for that video! I can see you treat her with more respect than myself when you're slapping ;)

Thanks for the compliments too! I'm glad you've spent a good time with it!

Guest Marcoelwray
12 minutes ago, Grangur said:

Tim has just dropped the bass off here as planned. Tomorrow it will be going south to @BreadBin

I owe you so much Richard... (Not sure about "owe)

2 hours ago, Marcoelwray said:

@tthiggins thank you so much for that video! I can see you treat her with more respect than myself when you're slapping ;)

Thanks for the compliments too! I'm glad you've spent a good time with it!

It was my pleasure Marco ..what a lovely instrument !..

and it was good to meet Gary and catch up with Rich too 🙂

• Like 1

I wasn't sure whether to put this video clip up or not. I recorded it yesterday, shortly before Tim collected it. It was a one take thing and only later in the day, that I replayed it and discovered that the recorded sound level is a little distorted.:facepalm:

Anyway, I played the same riff and used the various pickup switchings to hopefully demonstrate the sounds on offer. 

• Like 3

I met up with Richard earlier and now have the bass here on the farm in deepest Wiltshire. Thanks @Grangur it was good to meet you for some real life bass chat!

If it's OK I will hang on to it until the weekend when I can get to the studio my big amplifier is currently occupying so I can properly move some air with it!

It's with friends...

DSC_0002.thumb.JPG.a90eaf5839d2c1732a826a30fdc949dd.JPG

• Like 2

It'll be fine - the dog accepted it into the house instantly which never usually happens.

The usual routine is bark at the case for a minute, then again at the bass when you take it out. Half an hour of refusing to be in the same room comes next, followed by creeping up and timidly sniffing it. Once that hurdle is passed he will only look scared if you play it, until he's had a sleep!

Initial impressions are that it's fairly light and well-balanced - the deep neck profile is interesting but not uncomfortable in the short term, although a longer session may be different. I found the shape of the 'reverse horns' (the cutout section by the bridge) uncomfortable against my right thigh when seated, as I like to rest the body on my left leg. I would prefer a softer curve without protrusions in that area.

I assume this is a prototype? You are probably more aware of the faults in the finish than I am but it's certainly not bad, and were it to be painted would look great, but bare wood leaves you nowhere to hide! It's plenty well enough finished to gig with however. 

I haven’t plugged it in yet as I only have a cheap practice amp here and I don't want to spoil my first impression of the tone. It does feel like there's a better setup to be had but is nicely playable and probably better suited to more styles as it is. It was perfectly in tune straight out of the case, so the construction is good. 

I'll report back once I've properly heard it :)

• Like 2

2023407413_DSC_8086copy.thumb.jpg.28e20249e067eb2c3f72647e5da0ce0f.jpg

I showed it some interesting local sights, have recorded a couple of short videos including a comparison with my Allen Eden Jazz. They will follow in a couple of hours once they are uploaded to Youtube.

Edited by BreadBin
  • Like 4

No problem @Marcoelwray :) you are welcome to use the photo. 

I enjoyed trying it out today - the neck profile was fine for me, although as already mentioned the frets are a little sharp. Otherwise it was very comfortable to play. 

The sound was good, tight and punchy with plenty of gain. Pickups are pretty hot, on a par with the active EMG setup in the Jazz. Switching between the pickups gave a good range of voicing with a bit of extra variety in the bridge options - although the difference between single/series/parallel wasn't as big as others I have played. This did help with the balance between the 2 pickups. 

Videos are still uploading (our Internet connection is terrible) 

Who wants it next?! 

Edited by BreadBin

Videos uploaded - I seem to be coming down with a cold so am playing a bit wooden today.

Played through a Hartke HA3500 and a couple of Behringer Bugera cabs. I didn't adjust the settings at all between bass guitars.

First up the Infinga, then my upgraded Jazz-a-like, then a bit more Infinga as I had forgotten to record any of my clunky slap style.

This is the first time I have ever recorded myself - an interesting experience!

Edited by BreadBin
  • Like 1