Why become a member? ×

Markbass CMD 102p vs Fender Rumble 500 v3

JustMike25

Hello.

So I'm an intermediate bass player and I would like to buy amp.

So far, I've played on gigs with borrowed AMP's (Hartke, Ibanez, etc) and didn't really need to buy myself my own amp and played connected to mix on rehearsals.

But now I'm beginning to have my own gigs with band with nobody to borrow the amp from, so I made a decision to buy myself my own amp.

I have a Marcus Miller JB-active and I play almost everything; some rock, punk, funk, blues, sometimes soul, sometimes pop.

The two AMP's that I think would be worth are Markbass CMD 102p and Fender Rumble 500 v3.

I think that Fender could be better for me, because it's cheaper and you can use bright, vintage and overdrive straight on it, but I'm not sure, if it's usable for styles like soul, funk etc.

However, my bassfriend has a Markbass and he says it's really good for these styles. But I don't know if it can play the heavier styles. Also the price is higher.

To sum up: Which one is louder? Which one has better quality sound? Which one is more versatile? Please also think about the price difference.

Thanks for every single answer :-)

I`ve had Markbass amps in the past, great amps, really good quality, and sit nicely in the mix. With the eq options on your MM JB you would have a very versatile set-up, especially for the pop/soul/funk aspects.

I`ve not had one myself, but for punk and rock the Fender Rumble would be the better amp (imo) as it is voiced more vintage with some very nice drive/clank available if needed - I`ve heard bassists use them for this type of music and they`ve fitted really wel,. With the eq on both your bass and the Rumble I`m pretty sure you`d easily be able to do soul and funk as well as the heavier stuff.

Lastly cost - the Markbass is a fair bit more costly. I`m yet to read anything negative re the Rumbles which is always a good sign and would say that indicates that the quality is sufficient for regular gigging.

• Thanks 1

I've never really fancied Markbass gear. I am totally in love with my Rumble though. The gain can quite easily take you from clean to gritty - I tend to have it a slightly grittier shade of clean for the rock I usually play. However we do a few funky numbers and it sounds sweet with my P bass tone rolled off a bit

The Rumble is a bargain for the price. It will be loud enough for any venue you are likely to play in (I rarely get mine anywhere close to half way on the dial at our loudest gigs). It's a one handed lift and fits easily in the car boot. It's a 2x10 + (switchable) horn but can have a huge bottom end if you want it. In fact all of the tone controls have a very wide range

I wouldn't swap mine for any other amp, at any price - it's that good for what I do

You're not gong to go wrong with either. I've tried the 102P and think it's one of the best combos on the market. Being able to tilt up like a monitor, I think, is genius. But the Rumble is no slouch either and well priced. Perfect for intermediate players and students though there are enough pros playing therm too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...