Why become a member? ×

Fender P Bass Neck Dive

BeeBop

I have a question which I have been wanting to ask

Do all Fender P Bass s have neck dive ... I recently went to my local guitar store to try out an American Fender P Bass ...

the first thing that struck me was ooft that's some neck dive ...the sales guy was messing about with the amp as I sat .. I couldn't help myself and mentioned to the sales guy that the neck was diving ...he gave me one of the most disgusting looks ever ..it was as if I had plopped in his handbag  look ..

He then proceeds to tell me that all P Bass s have neck dive ...I tend not to believe a word these creatures tell me as its their job to sell sell sell ...(unless your lucky enough to have a wee independent store where your needs are what really matter) ...

Cheers in advance ...probably a daft question but I simply don't know the answer ...

My P bass has neck dive a plenty if you sit down and balance it on your knee(no suprise here as the knee cutout is nowhere near the center of gravity), but no neck dive when worn on a strap(which is much more important IMO). For a P bass to be affected by neck dive on a strap it would need to have a very lightweight body, and you could counteract that with a set of ultralight tuners easily enough.

• Like 1

I`ve currently got 5 US Precisions, none have neck dive. I don`t have super-duper straps either, just regular 2" wide nylon-weave Jim Dunlop straps, still no neck-dive. One feels different to the others, seems to pull a bit on my left shoulder a bit more, but still no neck-dive. Sounds like a case of very lightweight body as mentioned above.

You guys are the best ...thanks for all the comments ..as suspected never trust a salesman

I play a 94 MIJ 57 reissue (it bumps like a big bumpy thing... a sound to die for )  ..it has some neck dive hence why I wasn't 100% sure if all P Bass s were the same or similar .. ..

Have a good weekend when it comes .... Cheers

• Like 2

It depends what you mean by neck dive. A Fender -style bass will usually neck dive on your knee without a strap, but will balance fairly well on a strap. 

A common misconception is that neck dive is a result of a  lightweight body and a heavier neck. It is far more to do with the balance points where the strap attaches. Lightweight tuners can help, but bass that neck dives will continue to do so regardless of how heavy the body is. 

• Like 1

my MIA P with lightweight tuners has none, ever so slight neck dive on my Vintage V4, as @Misdee says it all about where the strap attaches, I think that's why Fenders have a big horn where the strap attaches to stop neck dive and it works. I've got a Yamaha acoustic which has neck dive, that attaches to the heel of the neck. Epiphone SG's have horrendous neck dive, mine was unplayable, which also attaches to the heel of the neck, why they put it there God alone knows

3 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

my MIA P with lightweight tuners has none, ever so slight neck dive on my Vintage V4, as @Misdee says it all about where the strap attaches, I think that's why Fenders have a big horn where the strap attaches to stop neck dive and it works. I've got a Yamaha acoustic which has neck dive, that attaches to the heel of the neck. Epiphone SG's have horrendous neck dive, mine was unplayable, which also attaches to the heel of the neck, why they put it there God alone knows

If you want real neck dive, try an Epi Jack Casady... it's an instrument and a left-arm workout all in one!

Cool basses, but don't expect ergonomic balance.