Why become a member? ×

Sonicsmith squaver p1 + NOW SOLD
£470

andybassdoyle

Well, yes matey you are right and sorry for not getting back as I did say I would.

My take on this is as follows:

Excellent sounds, phat analogue, lots of variation for textures etc

Downside is there are no presets and in practical terms I have found this really difficult on gigs. The control adjustments offer real fine tuning but the problem here is that on a gig on the fly it's difficult to get them just right.

Hopefully the P2 or P1++ will have some presets!

Real estate on the board is also an issue but tbh I could have lived with this if I could get on better for live.

I've not yet tried it linked through CV to other units.

Overall there are some other things that I could use the cash for hence moving it on. If this were not an issue I would keep the squaver separate and take a different approach to the board.

• Thanks 1

By the way there is a typo on the price - it should be 450. This is about 150 off the list so whilst not cheap hopefully still a fair deal.

And yes, trades are always an option although cash is king right now (as there is nothing I'm really after right now). I would take an Audi R8 in black depending on the mileage.

1 hour ago, andybassdoyle said:

Well, yes matey you are right and sorry for not getting back as I did say I would.

My take on this is as follows:

Excellent sounds, phat analogue, lots of variation for textures etc

Downside is there are no presets and in practical terms I have found this really difficult on gigs. The control adjustments offer real fine tuning but the problem here is that on a gig on the fly it's difficult to get them just right.

Hopefully the P2 or P1++ will have some presets!

Real estate on the board is also an issue but tbh I could have lived with this if I could get on better for live.

I've not yet tried it linked through CV to other units.

Overall there are some other things that I could use the cash for hence moving it on. If this were not an issue I would keep the squaver separate and take a different approach to the board.

I still think it could be improved with built-in triggered ADS(R) envelopes in addition to the envelope follower.

I wish I’d tried this with a Minitaur. One could use the gate out to trigger the envelopes and the pitch CV for the oscillators. 

On 27/09/2018 at 21:17, Quatschmacher said:

I still think it could be improved with built-in triggered ADS(R) envelopes in addition to the envelope follower.

I wish I’d tried this with a Minitaur. One could use the gate out to trigger the envelopes and the pitch CV for the oscillators. 

Agree - ADSR would give some more options but I found that the sweep of envelope options as actually pretty darn usable. There wasn't much I couldn't find, problem comes back to the fact that once you need to change it you are down to fine tuning and on a gig it just doesn't work so well for me. If I had the budget and a roadie to schlep all the gear about I would love to try it with a subphatty. The is some maths for this I believe; (Bass+Squaver+Subphatty)^n=sick. n = talent btw!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lee650 said:

Id love to see some pics of your whole board Andy 😁

Haha, thanks mate. I'll post some later, but most bits you can see. Around the edge is an ehx freeze, digitech ricochet, Tc nova repeater, oc2 and a t16. All runs through a boss es5, source audio reflex and the expressionator that you can see. Power from a strymon which is awesomely noise free, even with naughty moogs. 

It'll change soon for the reasons I described. The squaver will come off and be replaced by an ie xerograph deluxe, ie subterranea and a zvex mastotron. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

And presumably the second time around as I bought Andy’s Subterranea a while ago.  

Yes! I had to source one from Australia in the end.

Am I going backwards here? Perhaps but what's very clear to me is that it has to work well in a live setting and my playing is currently in a place where I need what I need so to speak. A few different pedals for different voices that I can control on the fly. Funnily enough though I'm also using a Mobius and an ES5 for patch changes, not exactly simples but it just seems to work somehow.

Anyway - why is this still here? There must be some mad scientists out there who want to destroy the internal organs of their audience with some synth goodness.....?

Hit me up!