Why become a member? ×

Sonic Maximiser

Yank

When I play small venues,  I run through a Mesa Subway with 1-12,  but when playing larger venues or outdoors,  I run through a Mesa D-800 into a 15 and 2-10's.  I also go through an old rack from the 80's with a lighted strip,  a rack tuner and a sonic maximiser.  When playing an outdoor party this summer,  two other bass players went through my rig and when setting them up gave them the option of the maximiser on or off,  switching it in and out so they could hear the difference.  Both chose to have it engaged.  The sound is so much fuller and richer and the clarity better.  I don't notice it not being there when using the smaller rig,  but once I've set up the big rig and turned it on and off,  always chose to have it engaged.  I used to have a pedal version that I would use through my guitar or bass rig but it died a while ago and haven't had it fixed or replaced.  Anyone else use one?

I had a rack one for a short while that I managed to bag second hand. In all honest and probably not what you want to hear: The sonic maximiser has two controls. The one that governs the lows and the most important to us bassists is only an EQ boost centred around 50hz. (It has no ‘maximising’ properties) The high frequency control could certainly help with those that like a brighter tone, but is unlikely to be useful (I.e. what it is designed to do) if you are going without tweeters or your sound favours like likes of flatwounds.

That said, as a two band EQ for my six string basses, it worked well bringing extra zing to chords and top end playing. Eventually I ditched it and started using the multiband EQ that I had on my effects unit to target those important frequencies. I have to admit ended up being a better option.

YMMV of course.