Why become a member? ×

It's NOT EVEN been nine whole days since I bought any bass gear...

Al Krow

8 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

That’s crazy - like why the churn? Do you keep buying crap instruments.

you know when they start sounding a bit dull you are allowed to change the strings rather than the whole bass! :D

It does sound crazy I agree, but maybe also sounds worse than it is. I got my Berg in 2014 and for 3 years it was pretty much the only bass I played.

In the last 18 months I've discovered Yamaha and Ibanez basses with a passion (my lovely Berg has now gone) and also moved from 4 strings to 5 strings, which was the main driver for the "churn". And at the end of the day I've been out done by Deedee who doesn't have my excuses! 😂

Although I find my head turned by the FS particularly when they're well priced (who doesn't?) I'm actually very happy with the herd now - I take your point about changing strings, I'm going to have to do that at some point soon I can tell!

The 8 string is going to be a lot of creative fun. Only had it a couple of weeks and I definitely need to work on my technique (particularly to eliminate fret buzz without having to raise the action) but see if you agree...

Schecter8#01.WAV

• 3 months later...

Damn it's been like TWENTY NINE days since I bought any bass gear.

What the heck is going on???

I guess a lack of desire has not been helped at all by the latest Yammy bass offering being a headless SIX string 10lb turkey costing £4,000... and NAMM 2019 being about as exciting as a lethargic nil nil draw in League two on a muddy pitch.

Does there literally come a point in a bass chatter's life when he thinks his gear is just great and all he wants to do is actually put it to use and make music? 

... hopefully just a passing phase and normal service will be resumed shortly 😁

Edited by Al Krow

10 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Damn it's been like TWENTY NINE days since I bought any bass gear.

What the heck is going on???

I guess a lack of desire has not been helped at all by the latest Yammy bass offering being a headless SIX string 10lb turkey costing £4,000... and NAMM 2019 being about as exciting as a lethargic nil nil draw in League two on a muddy pitch.

Does there literally come a point in a bass chatter's life when he thinks his gear is just great and all he wants to do is actually put it to use and make music? 

... hopefully just a passing phase and normal service will be resumed shortly 😁

There comes a point where you’ve tried enough stuff and new stuff is just different compared to what you have rather than better. 

I think it’s more remarkable how some company bolts their preamp onto thesameclassDampeveryoneelseisusing and people get so excited about it sell the stuff they were happy with and get the new thing

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

So my last gear purchase was exactly 9 days ago - arrived on the 2nd August. A pedal that I've only bought and sold three times before, lol!

Does that I mean I am officially, finally, and forever cured of GAS and will now spend the better part of my bass playing future making the most of the gear I already have?

😆

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

So my last gear purchase was exactly 9 days ago - arrived on the 2nd August. A pedal that I've only bought and sold three times before, lol!

Does that I mean I am officially, finally, and forever cured of GAS and will now spend the better part of my bass playing future making the most of the gear I already have?

😆

of course - in between buying and selling that pedal a few more times

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

😆

Nah it’s the BC way. A heap of pedals are bought, photographed in situ on a pedal board, rejigged and then replaced with essential the same pedal (and in your case the actual same pedal) only to be re-captured, reposted and then swapped again.

I sometimes wonder if it’s as much about having the latest ‘cool looking pedals’ such is the power of a forum and the hype generated. I think the pedal board thread on here should be renamed Pedal Bored as folk seem to change up things with such frequency as to have lost interest in the new pedal before it’s even arrived in the post. 

• Like 2

It’s been at least six or seven years since I’ve bought, sold or traded anything bass related. 

I’m happy with what I have, and would still like to unload some gear that never sees the light of day. I’ll get around to it eventually. 

I have bought 3 basses in the last 10 days. 1 is up for sale, 1 has been sent back to G4music (great service on returns by the way) and the 3rd one is sitting in the hall awaiting collection by UPS to take it back as well!

I`m off work at the moment due to a damaged foot and am spending far too much time on here and various bass gear shops. If only I spent all that time learning how to play the bloomin things.

• Like 1