Why become a member? ×

It's NOT EVEN been nine whole days since I bought any bass gear...

Al Krow

I blame the internet for all this GAS. Was talking about it with Kevvo66 last night when he bought a bass off me, back in the day I went years with one bass and one amp, then along came the world wide web and that was it. New gear is always there to be drooled over.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, adamg67 said:

I blame the internet for all this GAS. Was talking about it with Kevvo66 last night when he bought a bass off me, back in the day I went years with one bass and one amp, then along came the world wide web and that was it. New gear is always there to be drooled over.

Basschat has cost me so much money

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

Basschat has cost me so much money

But it has also opened up a whole world of bass beyond Fender basses and amps and Boss pedals! 🙂

And it doesn't have to be expensive: if you're buying used from a fellow BCer (and 99% of transactions are just great, trustworthy etc. and those that aren't are quickly found out) and you look after the gear whilst you have it you can often move it on for no more than the cost of the postage - effectively free rental to try out some amazing gear...

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I have to remind myself of this every time I get Jazz bass stirrings.

...but if you're buying a brand new indigo-blue Status with led lights on the top and side of the graphite fretboard, as lovely as it is, you're going to be taking quite a hit when you come to move that on. The only way round that is to make sure you have very regular decent paying gigs coming in.

And obviously it will be "lacking" 'cos it's not a P-bass. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

...Obviously if you're buying a brand new indigo-blue Status with led lights on the top and side of the graphite fretboard, as lovely as it is, you're going to be taking quite a hit when you come to move that on. The only way round that is to make sure you have very regular decent paying gigs coming in.

Who said I’m moving it on..... 😂

52 minutes ago, adamg67 said:

I blame the internet for all this GAS. I went years with one bass and one amp, then along came the world wide web and that was it.

I blame BassChat specifically. I was quite happy with the same bass and amp for thirty-six years, then I joined BassChat and all bloody hell broke loose. Recently bought a Vintage VJ74 Jazz Bass, a couple of weeks ago a Tech21 Blonde clone, a few months before that a Fender Rumble V3 500 combo. Just the tip of a very big iceberg going back in time to 2010, when I became a member here... but when I look at my feedback, I can hardly remember any of the deals and can hardly remember any of the gear either. It's decadent, ecologically unsound, bad for one's mental health and... ooh look, a white P Bass!! :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, naxos10 said:

Are we on day 10 now?

Have withdrawal symptoms set in? :dash1:

Haha! We are.

Withdrawal symptoms...well I did almost buy an Ibby BTB Premium 5 string yesterday when I discovered it was loaded with my favourite aggressive, rude, Nord big singles, rather than the more polite Aggies which its successors all seem to now come with. But fortunately the seller has already got a better offer in the bag that I could refuse :) 

I may have some promising news on the work front over the next few weeks; if that comes through then I've got an 8 string Schecter Stiletto** lined up for creative noodling, as a final (famous last word) 'treat' bass. I'll just need to reset the title at that point to make sure the smpte time stamp is accurate and not misleading.

**still can't decide whether to go for the 'cooler' black or the more garish 'honey satin' but which brings out the lovely neck-through - views from my fellow BCers VERY welcome on that one :) 

22 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

**still can't decide whether to go for the 'cooler' black or the more garish 'honey satin' but which brings out the lovely neck-through - views from my fellow BCers VERY welcome on that one :) 

Honey satin, no contest. You know it makes sense.

3 hours ago, stewblack said:

The only thing that ever worked for me was staying away from Basschat.

Trouble is, there's TalkBass, Andy Baxter, Bass Direct, The Bass Gallery, Vintage & Rare, Classic & Cool, Wunjo, PMT, Gear4Music, Thomann...

Edited by discreet

1 hour ago, discreet said:

Trouble is, there's TalkBass, Andy Baxter, Bass Direct, The Bass Gallery, Vintage & Rare, Classic & Cool, Wunjo, PMT, Gear4Music, Thomann...

Ah yes, the wunder of Wunjos... 😄 

And within walking distance of where I'm sitting right now. But fortunately it's closed! 😄 

Edited by Al Krow

On 27/09/2018 at 07:17, Al Krow said:

How long have you managed to go without getting a new piece of bass gear (other than replacement strings)?

What was the last thing you bought that really made a positive difference to your sound and which you're never going to move on?

Warwick Thumb 6 18/07/18 🙂 

Not counting like-for-like "replacement" strings - tape-wounds incoming for my fretless acoustic, its current chrome flats to be moved to my fretted acoustic. Should be a significant change in sound for both. Whether it's positive remains to be seen! 🙂 

ps I don't blame BC for making me want anything, but it certainly makes it easier to find things I already know I want! 

Edited by josie
added ps
  • Like 1

Having gone through a massive pedal acquisition phase last year, I’ve settled on my most beloved effects and am now pretty much GAS-free in that department. Same goes for amplification ever since I went FRFR.

Trouble is, now I have constant GAS for basses of all kinds. 4 strings, 5 strings, 6 strings. Js, Ps, Rays. Solid colour finishes, exotic woods. Actives, passives.

WHEN WILL IT END? 😩

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Well as usual I'm skint so I haven't bought anything for ages. Although that's probably for the best as I've recently had a hankering for a full on 8x10 fridge. 

No use for one whatsoever. 

I just want one!

Funny you should say that...

• Like 1

Al Krow said: Is there any known therapy available, that's been demonstrated to work?

I don't know of any therapy but if 'er indoors gets a whiff of the purchase of another bass guitar she hits me round the head with the four I have. After that I really don't want to go through the same process again. It seems to have worked, would be any help if I sent her up to you Al Krow?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, naxos10 said:

...It seems to have worked, would be any help if I sent her up to you Al Krow?

Whoa, just a minute there. Other than assault, what else can she do?

I'll need to make a business case to Mrs Krow if she's going to be a permanent addition to the Krow household.