Why become a member? ×

It's NOT EVEN been nine whole days since I bought any bass gear...

Al Krow

4 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I really need to either stop drinking or get the WiFi cut off.

Bugera 2x10 cab on the way. 

IMG_20181019_100358.png

It’s easier and cheaper for you to invest in some mittens so you can’t use those hands. 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

Three out of the four bits of kit ordered and on their way (just leaving a Helix Stomp sized hole on my pedal board to be filled when the thing lands in the UK) - pictures later when they've all safely arrived :)

I even phoned Tom at Wunjos this morning about trading in my beloved Ibby SR1800 which I bought off him 14 months ago for a new Ibby SR1825E this morning, rather than risking straying into the UN monitored 2019 "no-buy zone" waiting for someone looking to do this unlikely trade, but which would make more financial sense...

The prospect of getting on @Sibob's 2019 gear abstinence wagon is proving BLOODY expensive in 2018 is all I can say 😂

• Haha 1

BIG shout out to Tom (manager) at Wunjos!

I bought my current Ibanez SR1800 new off him 14 months back (and he chipped the price to reflect it being a tiny bit shop soiled). The new prices for the SR1800s have since fallen since they first came out and are around £899 new.

He agreed with me that he'd taken a mark-up on the original sale and would also get a mark-up on a new replacement 5er, and so he's just agreed to match the best online price available for a new SR1825E and offered me £750 for my old SR1800 in part-ex, which means that he will at best break even when he sells my old Ibby on. 

Dunno what anyone else thinks but that sounds like a bloo*dy good deal to me!! Tom really is a guy who has his customers' interests in mind as well as his own. I couldn't ask for anything more from any retailer frankly.

They've just moved out of the basement btw and into a new store across the road in Denmark St.

....oh and that's gonna mark the end of an era for me. Apart from my EUB, that's the last of my 4 strings out the door.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

Kala have stopped making the cheap U-SUB, it's Californication or nothing now. I feel that buying one of the last remaining ones at Thomann is simply helping Thomann to clear space in their warehouse for more items for other buyers, and therefore allowing a wider range of items for my fellow bassists.

• Haha 1

Vicarious gear acquisition can be quite satisfying. Went with my son to the Manchester Guitar Show this morning. He found a handsome Ibby hollow-body to replace his Fender Strat, cheap enough that I didn't have to subsidise it as I was expecting to. Our teacher has always rather coveted the Strat and is now going to have it in exchange for a suitable number of free lessons. I came away with nothing but a cheap, decent quality 2nd hand gig bag, which I needed because mine is about to fall apart. Result all round 🙂 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

V-GAS

A whole new thing for us to worry about. 

Well you heard from Josie here first on this thread, ladies and gents. 

I was panicking for a minute then. Once I’d looked up the definition of vicarious I realised it couldn’t apply to me... cold sweats gone. 😂

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, josie said:

Vicarious gear acquisition can be quite satisfying.🙂

^ now there's a good point: technically I bought two guitars last year, as I also managed to track down the specific model of acoustic guitar that Mrs Mooseblaster used to own before we met. It made for quite a challenging hunt, but also gave me the satisfaction of searching around to buy a guitar, even if it wasn't for me in the end.

I'm looking forward to the day that Mini Mooseblaster is old enough to take an interest in learning bass, so I can take him shopping for a Chowny short-scale...

27 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

I'm looking forward to the day that Mini Mooseblaster is old enough to take an interest in learning bass, so I can take him shopping for a Chowny short-scale...

Don't get your hopes up too high. He'll probably end up learning drums and being a massive disappointment. 😂

Is there an award for this?

I've just had a complete shocker of a realisation this morning! 

The bass I've now had longest in my 7 strong herd, comprising mostly Ibbys and Yammys (with a gratuitous but lovely Schecter 8 string now in the mix)...is a Stagg 3/4 EUB, which is just 18 months old! And all the rest of my basses (most of which I bought used) I've had for less than a year! 

Anyone with several basses had a higher churn rate than that or do I get some sort of BC "most unfaithful to his bevy of bass babes" prize?! 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

The bass I've now had longest in my 7 strong herd, comprising mostly Ibbys and Yammys (with a gratuitous but lovely Schecter 8 string now in the mix)...is a Stagg 3/4 EUB, which is just 18 months old! And all the rest of my basses (most of which I bought used) I've had for less than a year! 

Anyone with several basses had a higher churn rate than that or do I get some sort of BC "most unfaithful to his bevy of bass babes" prize?! 😂

Shockingly, I’ve just worked out that I can beat that.

8 basses with the longest resident in chez DeeDee being my Aria SB R80 purchased at the beginning of this year 😮

I’ll just go and stand on the naughty step 😔

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Deedee said:

Shockingly, I’ve just worked out that I can beat that.

8 basses with the longest resident in chez DeeDee being my Aria SB R80 purchased at the beginning of this year 😮

I’ll just go and stand on the naughty step 😔

I'm speechless. For once. 😂

3 minutes ago, Deedee said:

In my defence, time really does fly.  I swore blind that it was the beginning of 2017 I bought that one. Alas, checking my messages confirmed otherwise 😂

Nah, didn't work. I'm still speechless 😂

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I almost got a really good bass from a really good BCer for a really good price today. But didn't.

Worked out the new 3Leaf Chromotron is not worth anything close to the £350 that it's going to be selling for and the Micro-Tron III which I was thinking about instead can't be found ("out of stock")

My replacement larger (used) PT2 board arrived on 31 Oct.

...well I make that 10 whole days now, then :) 

On 27/10/2018 at 10:47, Al Krow said:

That’s crazy - like why the churn? Do you keep buying crap instruments.

you know when they start sounding a bit dull you are allowed to change the strings rather than the whole bass! :D