Why become a member? ×

It's NOT EVEN been nine whole days since I bought any bass gear...

Al Krow

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Whoa, just a minute there. Other than assault, what else can she do?

I'll need to make a business case to Mrs Krow if she's going to be a permanent addition to the Krow household.

Some people pay good money for that for that kind of abuse! 😂

13 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Well as usual I'm skint so I haven't bought anything for ages.

Ok, finally! The first serious, practical, sensible solution to avoiding GAS related purchases is...become skint.

Well you can't take it with you and the kids will only waste it on having fun, so why not?

But it seems to me that the best way of becoming skint is to be spending time on Basschat and buying bass gear:

17 hours ago, stewblack said:

...Came here spent my retirement fund in six week.

This is clearly one of those paradoxes that is going to rip apart the fabric of space and time. Ugh!!!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ok, finally! The first serious, practical, sensible solution to avoiding GAS related purchases is...become skint.

Well you can't take it with you and the kids will only waste it on having fun, so why not?

I don't have any to take with me, nor do I have any kids. 

For some people being skint is just how life is. 

I'd love to go out and and blow a few hundred quid on bass gear. But I currently have a van in the garage, a dog in the vets, and a stomach ulcer from stress. 

I still want an 8x10 fridge though. 😂

No harm in dreaming. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, gjones said:

Hmmmm......the piece of kit that made the biggest difference to my sound, is the John East J-Retro.

It's so very versatile and lets you get the sound you want through any amp.

I've not heard anyone say a bad word about the John East pre-amps! 

Gone straight onto the OP "hall of fame" :) 

Edited by Al Krow

On 27/09/2018 at 20:45, gs_triumph said:

...Is a midi controller type thingy! 

Speaking of which, I've been resisting getting a midi controller for months. I was alerted to a previously unheard of (by me) brand by a TBer and I can already feel my resistance crumbling...this is definitely turning into a disaster area for me.

Trouble is there is ZERO space on my pedal board (due to pedal GAS of course, what else), so getting a midi controller is going to mean getting a bigger pedal board. And so it continues...

On 28/09/2018 at 12:39, naxos10 said:

Are we on day 10 now? Have withdrawal symptoms set in? :dash1:

It's worse than that. I've had to change the title to the thread. Bare faced cheek on my part eh? 

Still I've got something light and super compact that should finally make @chris_b smile, after all this time.

• Haha 1

On 30/09/2018 at 11:50, Al Krow said:

I've not heard anyone say a bad word about the John East pre-amps! 

Gone straight onto the OP "hall of fame" :) 

I’ve just ordered another one - this time it’s a special build to go into the Shuker fretless - he’s a genius.

• Like 1

Having unexpectedly got myself a Barefaced cab over the weekend just gone;  I've pulled the trigger (in a more measured and planned way) on a Gecko Mk 3 midi controller and a slightly larger pedal board so that I can actually fit it on the board!

Still NOT 9 days since I last got any gear 😂

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, bassfan said:

Forgive me father for I have sinned...it’s been 46 days since I purchased any bass gear....until today. Reset the clock. There’s a Status Series 2 incoooommmmmmmmmming 😃😃😃😃😃😃

Written in the stars this!!!!

• Haha 1

On 03/10/2018 at 23:34, Al Krow said:

Having unexpectedly got myself a Barefaced cab over the weekend just gone;  I've pulled the trigger (in a more measured and planned way) on a Gecko Mk 3 midi controller and a slightly larger pedal board so that I can actually fit it on the board!

Still NOT 9 days since I last got any gear 😂

The bad news is that Line6 have announced their amazing Helix HX Stomp, which I'm very keen to get when it comes out.

The good news is that means that my B3n can be retired to headphone amp duties and possibly just retired and my Zoom MS-60Bs days are numbered. So that's two pedals out and one in. That works right on a "one in one out" basis? (Let's maybe not discuss how much they relatively cost please, as that's not very British). The additional good news is that means I don't need to get the slightly larger pedal board as the Stomp will be a fair bit smaller than the B3n. Pedaltrain order cancelled. Ok this is looking very promising...

And that Tascam hand held recorder I got to record the band isn't strictly bass gear is it?

And I've technically not yet paid for the next piece of kit yet (although I know it's going to be coming). So let's see, how long since the Gecko order?  Ooooh it must be 13 days... :) 

3 hours ago, bassfan said:

Forgive me father for I have sinned...it’s been 46 days since I purchased any bass gear....until today. Reset the clock. There’s a Status Series 2 incoooommmmmmmmmming 😃😃😃😃😃😃

Haha. Just realised most of my relapses are pretty inconsequential compared to this one.

Amazing, congratulations!!

3 hours ago, bassfan said:

After I have flogged myself repeatedly I will def get some pictures up.... 16 weeks and counting. 

You've flogged most of your other gear, so I guess that just leaves your good self.

You're going to have change your personal pic as well, 'cos "Shuker" just ain't going to cut it in your neck of the woods anymore!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Haha. Just realised most of my relapses are pretty inconsequential compared to this one.

Amazing, congratulations!!

Cheers Al. Don’t forget I’m joining @sibob on his 2019 gear hiatus so it could *well be the last purchase for 451 days... I had to make it a big one..😳

* I shall caveat this statement with the knowledge that I have very week bass gear will power. 😂 

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

You've flogged most of your other gear, so I guess that just leaves your good self.

You're going to have change your personal pic as well, 'cos "Shuker" just ain't going to cut it in your neck of the woods anymore!

Oh the Shuker will definitely be making appearances, it’s an awesome piece of kit 👍🏻

On 16/10/2018 at 16:51, bassfan said:

Cheers Al. Don’t forget I’m joining @sibob on his 2019 gear hiatus so it could *well be the last purchase for 451 days... I had to make it a big one..😳

* I shall caveat this statement with the knowledge that I have very weak bass gear will power. 😂 

Just a few things more and I'm done (and I know exactly what those FOUR bass things are) :) and then I'm going to see if I can follow your lead and get back on @Sibob's gear abstinence wagon and see it through 2019 too. 

Oh how they all laughed!

Update: managed to get three of the four today and that just leaves a STOMP box (by Helix) which will be due out later in the year just in time for birthday or Xmas. So Sibob's gear abstinence wagon here I come...

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

Thank you all... I now feel positively moderate and virtuous having just bought my second 6 (Ibanez) a whole three months after the first (Warwick) - and I will sell the Warwick when I can be bothered, honest, so it doesn't really count anyway 🙂 

I have managed maybe 3 years on major purchases - I bought a LS 2 pedal about 2 years ago , and a pre-amp for the DB about 3 months ago, but apart from that, its been 3 years since I bought the DB, haven't bought any basses for about 5?? and been using the same head/cab for about 5 too