Why become a member? ×

It's NOT EVEN been nine whole days since I bought any bass gear...

Al Krow

nothing specifically bass related since getting my custom Warwick in late 2016...might have got a couple of MXR pedals since then but they are of a similar vintage... but...

I have paid the deposit and next instalment on the Wal I ordered in January.  I'm going to exclude that from being an actual purchase until I get it at some point in 2020.

My GAS us usually fairly under control, although it usually flares up in about February each year, ahead of getting my bonus at the end of March.  next year's bonus will more than likely be paying the balance on the Wal so there's unlikely to be any serious acquisition until the 2020 bonus arrives...must stop looking at those new Rickenbacker 5 strings...

34 minutes ago, bartelby said:

March 21st I traded a Stingray for and Aria SB Black n Gold. That's the last bass specific activity for me. Of course I have since spent nearly £1000 on modular synth stuff since then...

I'm sorry how does £1,000 modular synth stuff not count as gear acquisition?!

10 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Ah! Once my Wingbass is built and shipped, that will most certainly take the top spot as my most useful gear purchase. It’ll be a godsend on tour.

Definitely off-side ref (again) Is that two yellow cards Cam? 😂 How will you know till you get it, what impact it's gonna have on your sound other than, when on tour, you'll finally be able to actually make some?! (But then only through your Vox Amplug v2!) You're definitely trying to string us along here Cam...😄

Edited by Al Krow

57 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Definitely off-side ref (again) Is that two yellow cards Cam? 😂 How will you know till you get it, what impact it's gonna have on your sound other than, when on tour, you'll finally be able to actually make some?! (But then only through your Vox Amplug v2!) You're definitely trying to string us along here Cam...😄

Well it’ll make a big difference to my playing, if not necessarily my sound! Although I’m pretty certain it’ll sound glorious through my PJB Double Four

37 minutes ago, bartelby said:

you specified bass gear...

You might have me there, but just to check...are you only playing your amazing synth rig through a keyboard and not via your bass? 'Cos if you're routing your bass through it (from time to time) it's defo still bass gear!

6 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Well it’ll make a big difference to my playing, if not necessarily my sound! Although I’m pretty certain it’ll sound glorious through my PJB Double Four

Remember just how tall you are Cam. That Wingbass is:

1) going to make your arms shorter;

2) look like a banjo on you.

Just saying! 😜

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

You might have me there, but just to check...are you only playing your amazing synth rig through a keyboard and not via your bass? 'Cos if you're routing your bass through it (from time to time) it's defo still bass gear!

Keyboard??

4714D7B2-B1C4-4D6D-82DF-3C15E6EB2A32.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm struggling to remember the last piece of bass gear I bought (although if I bought it any time before yesterday, that's not easy) - probably the BF BB2. My hoarding tendencies were rewarded, though, because I've been using 5-strings for several years now and kept my Warwick 4s for old times' sake, and now I've just been recruited to a Marillion tribute band so they've come out of retirement.

• Like 1

The last item that made a real positive difference to my sound was the Aguilar AG700 I bought last year. 

The last item I bought was a Stingray Special in Charcoal Sparkle on Saturday. I’m gigging with it this weekend so don’t know yet if it will make a positive difference to my sound but it will make me look more sparkly. 😎

4C241DA1-CD3C-45B3-8222-E6389C5F61D4.jpeg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Al Krow said:

What the heck is that?! 😎 

And how is it going to help with songwriting (I'm all ears for anything that is going to do that)?

Is a midi controller type thingy! 

I try with DAWs but all the mousing and clicking and keyboard shortcuts leaves me losing the will...  This has buttons and knobs 😎

• Thanks 1

I have brought a Tokai Thunderbird and a Redsub 335 semi acoustic type thing bass, both to be fair were dirt cheap, neither have improved my sound in any way, both have reminded me exactly why I like Precision's so much, I have also reminded myself why when I brought an Epiphone Thunderbird I sold it after one rehearsal, horrible unplayable things!

Note to self......If it aint a Precision bass, you aint gonna like it!

• Like 2

I haven't bought anything since early June - my MIJ Mustang bass. 

Maybe some plectrums since then but that's all. 

Bit of kit that's not going anywhere? That'll be my Schroeder 1210 cab. Faffed about with big cabs, small cabs and absolutely huge cabs, but that's the best all rounder for what I need at the moment. I've used it for every gig since I bought it five years ago. 

The single thing that's made most difference to my sound? Getting a new guitar player ha ha!

• Haha 1

Good thread... ☺

It's 9 days since I bought an Epifani 310 cab. Not had a chance to test it yet, but I'm optimistic about it...

As it's only 2 days until the South East Bash which has loads of gear for sale at it, I might find it too difficult to avoid buying anything else bass related.

Best bass gear I've ever bought that has unquestionably improved my sound are my '84 BC Rich Eagle (bought in 2004) and the Ampeg V4BH head and matching 115 cab that I bought from the Beedster in 2015. Individually, they're fantastic and what's more, they sound great together too.. 😁

• Like 1

I feel like I've been quite restrained for the last couple of years. Last big purchase was a Telecaster, which would have been spring 2017. Also bought some recording gear that year, but that hardly broke the bank. Then it's been a couple of pedals this year...a Behringer BDI for the bass and a Joyo Tremolo pedal for guitar stuff, both in the last couple of months.

Last substantial bass purchase must have been the Tony Franklin, which must have been...good god, summer 2016. Bugger me, no wonder I've started eyeing up Sandbergs and Shukers...

Best purchase? The move into valve amps has been a very satisfying journey, but the Bergantino cab might have been the most transformational. I guess you never fully appreciate what a high-quality cab can do to your live sound until you try one. (Clear enough projection that the guy right back of a huge beer garden comes over afterwards to ask if John Entwistle was an influence? I'll take that.)

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

Best purchase? The move into valve amps has been a very satisfying journey, but the Bergantino cab might have been the most transformational. I guess you never fully appreciate what a high-quality cab can do to your live sound until you try one. (Clear enough projection that the guy right back of a huge beer garden comes over afterwards to ask if John Entwistle was an influence? I'll take that.)

Can't argue on the importance of a great cab for your sound: after all it's the last thing between your signal chain, the air we breathe, and your audience's ears!

Which Berg? I'll include it in the hall of fame in the OP.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Can't argue on the importance of a great cab for your sound: after all it's the last thing between your signal chain, the air we breathe, and your audience's ears!

Which Berg? I'll include it in the hall of fame in the OP.

It's a CN212, which I bought from chris_b a couple of years ago. Wonderful bit of kit.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bassfan said:

+1 on that. I’ve recently managed to pick one up recently and I love it! As Mr Krow knows! 😂

Sounds like it's going to be a keeper, but would it get your vote as having the most impact on your sound in your signal chain i.e. the one bit of kit you would have up in the "Hall of Fame?" 

Having only tried it with one amp then I couldn’t comment on that definitively. I can say it’s better than other cabs I’ve had, tonally, and has def changed my sound for the better.. .. a different amp might change the sound again. Different basses change the sound, my fender jazz sounds different to my custom Shuker... so the bass, amp and cab have equal impact on my sound. I couldn’t do without any of them (in my band before anyone mentions I could DI! 😂

I know my preferred combination of all of the above that I couldn’t do without.

Shuker Custom - Rh750- berg cn212

Edited by bassfan
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Roger2611 said:

I have brought a Tokai Thunderbird and a Redsub 335 semi acoustic type thing bass, both to be fair were dirt cheap, neither have improved my sound in any way, both have reminded me exactly why I like Precision's so much, I have also reminded myself why when I brought an Epiphone Thunderbird I sold it after one rehearsal, horrible unplayable things!

Note to self......If it aint a Precision bass, you aint gonna like it!

Ah man - I bought a Tokai Thunderbird a few years back. It looked divine, sounded reasonable but weighed a tonne. It felt like it was the size of my settee onstage. 

I never considered my main precision at the time to be lightweight ( a MIA 1996 at about 4.2kg ) but the difference was like comparing divers boots to flip flops. 

However the Thunderbird did make punters play air guitar in front of me onstage, which was nice!

• Like 1