Why become a member? ×

It's NOT EVEN been nine whole days since I bought any bass gear...

Al Krow

I'm feeling positively virtuous! :) 

How long have you managed to go without getting a new piece of bass gear (other than replacement strings)?

What was the last thing you bought that really made a positive difference to your sound and which you're never going to move on?

Your Hall of Fame

...Just to make this vaguely useful (as well as hopefully a fun / interesting / entertaining thread!) we've said so far, that the single piece of kit that has made the most positive difference to our sound and we're not ever planning on moving on, is:

The beautiful stuff

Ibanez SR1800 (with big single Nordstrand pups) 

Noise

Amps: Hartke LH500, Aguilar AG700

Cabs: Schroeder 1210, Bergantino CN212

Pedals

Tech21 ParaDriver,  Tech21 Dug Pinnick DP-3X

Other

John East J-Retro preamp

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

26 days and counting.... I’ve nearly pulled the trigger twice but I’m being good. I know what the next purchase will be too! 

In the interests of complete transparency I bought a DMX controller but it was for someone else and they gave me the money 😂

Last purchase that made a real difference, by berg cn212, opened up a lot more potential in my amp and tone 😃👍🏻

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

How long have you managed to go without getting a new piece of bass gear (other than replacement strings)?

What was the last thing you bought that really made a positive difference to your sound and which you're never going to move on?

Apart from strings I generally make one or two major purchases a year since I joined BC.

I have serious hoarder tendencies when it comes to gear, so I doubt I'm ever moving any of it on.

29 minutes ago, Cato said:

Apart from strings I generally make one or two major purchases a year since I joined BC.

I have serious hoarder tendencies when it comes to gear, so I doubt I'm ever moving any of it on.

That's actually a lot more restrained than it appears at first blush! 

Just checked and as you've been on BC since April 2015, that means you have bought approx seven major items?

Fortunately I'm cool with moving stuff on, but since the start of 2017 I've bought 50 (!!) pedals or pedal board related items, keeping 22; bought 7 basses but managed to move on six basses / six string guitars; and replaced a Promethean combo for a DG M900 and VK 210LNT. I'll have to 'fess I'm loving the gear I've now got and just hoping this thread might encourage me to start using what I've got to good effect (excuse the pun :) ) instead of rushing after that "next thing".

But what was the last piece of kit (hoarding tendencies aside) you thought "I really don't want to be doing without this ever"? If I had to choose one thing, it's probably not my "dream" bass (Yamaha BBNE2 - although I'd be sad to see that go) but my Ibby SR1800 which is so nice to play it's kinda holding me back from getting to grips with my 5ers!

Edited by Al Krow

The last item I bought was a 2016 US Precision last Saturday, entirely un-needed, I just wanted one in white/rosewood. A week before that I bought a BOSS WL20 Wireless Kit so I could (in my mind) leap around the stage (in reality it`s stumble/shuffle around on the same spot).

But in answer to the question re the last item I bought that made a positive difference to my sound, it was my Tech21 Sansamp Para Driver bought early last year. I wouldn`t be without it now. It`s as much part of my sound as my Precision and fresh steel round-wound strings.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

That's actually a lot more restrained than it appears at first blush! 

Just checked and as you've only been on BC since April 2015, that means you have bought approx seven major items?

3 basses a combo and a multi fx unit on the bass side.

Unfortunately, undoubtedly triggered by BC, the gear aquisition has also kicked in on the skinny stringer side, so I've also bought a couple of guitars.

There'll be something else in January, but my GAS is all over the place at the moment so I'm not sure what it's going to be yet, I'm not even sure the 'what' is that important, I just know that there will be something.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

But in answer to the question re the last item I bought that made a positive difference to my sound, it was my Tech21 Sansamp Para Driver bought early last year. I wouldn`t be without it now. It`s as much part of my sound as my Precision and fresh steel round-wound strings.

Aha, I kinda thought you'd had that longer than early 2017 as it's become so integral to your sound! You shared a clip of your band playing a while back and I must admit I instantly thought I love that P bass sound from your rig! 

So I actually ordered the PDDI v2 off the back of your recommendation early last year but GuitarGuitar managed to send me a BDDI instead, but inside a PDDI tin (numpties!). I found the BDDI to be completely 'meh' and returned. I should have maybe persevered and at least got the PDDIv2 to try out...

If you get chance it would be great to hear what your rig sounds like both with and without the PDDI and what is the magic fairy dust that it is adding to your rig / what is missing without it?

Have you ever tried out the Q\Strip? I'd be really interested to know how you think that stacks up against the PDDI.

Oh dear, I'm already sensing that after just a couple of hours, this thread is NOT going to be helpful when it comes to dealing with issues of GAS! 😂

3 days since I bought anything gear related - an old Pearl Octaver pedal!

Got two things on my radar though, both Spector related, and at least one of which I could pull the trigger on early next week.... ;)

Best thing I've bought recently and won't move on - the Tech21 Dug Pinnick DP-3X preamp/pedal. Awesome!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

This is in danger of becoming a Barenaked Ladies tribute thread...

...sorry I must have missed that one. Is it in "Off Topic" and did it get passed the "please avoid religion, politics and anything sexist" filter? 😂

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I buy a lot less bass gear than I used too. I think all I've bought are two pedals this year and they were both envelope filters that admittedly I didn't really need, but was curious about. That doesn't stop me wanting to spraff about new gear though and see what else is out there... I'm just not really gassing for anything currently. I love the gear I've got and have been instead focussing on improving my playing and learning new songs, which is kind of refreshing (for me anyway).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Al Krow said:

...Just to make this vaguely useful (as well as hopefully a fun / interesting / entertaining thread!) we've said so far, that the single piece of kit that has made the most positive difference to our sound and we're not ever planning on moving on, is:

Ibanez SR1800 bass

Pedals

Tech21 ParaDriver

Tech21 Dug Pinnick DP-3X

Or serious Bass-GASser has run out things to buy and is looking for ideas? 😁😂

Edited by gs_triumph
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Aha, I kinda thought you'd had that longer than early 2017 as it's become so integral to your sound! You shared a clip of your band playing a while back and I must admit I instantly thought I love that P bass sound from your rig! 

So I actually ordered the PDDI v2 off the back of your recommendation early last year but GuitarGuitar managed to send me a BDDI instead, but inside a PDDI tin (numpties!). I found the BDDI to be completely 'meh' and returned. I should have maybe persevered and at least got the PDDIv2 to try out...

If you get chance it would be great to hear what your rig sounds like both with and without the PDDI and what is the magic fairy dust that it is adding to your rig / what is missing without it?

Have you ever tried out the Q\Strip? I'd be really interested to know how you think that stacks up against the PDDI.

Oh dear, I'm already sensing that after just a couple of hours, this thread is NOT going to be helpful when it comes to dealing with issues of GAS! 😂

I think it was 2017, the time all seems to blur into one big lump after a while.

Re amp with/without, I set my amp to have none of the eq/compression/drive activated, so without the PDDI it sounds just like a plain Precision would to desk, the PDDI therefore does all of my eq/gain etc. That`s why I love it so much, one little box that I can plug into any amp/FOH and the audience get what I want them to. The bonus is that the natural warmth of my Ashdown gear works well with the clinical sound of the PDDI for the on-stage sound.

Not tried the Q\Strip, I love the look of it, especially with the sweepable high and low mids, but the lack of any gain/drive has meant I`ve not tried it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gs_triumph said:

Thinking about maybe buying something a bit different next... Native Instruments Maschine... Try a different approach to song writing. 

preview.jpg

What the heck is that?! 😎 

And how is it going to help with songwriting (I'm all ears for anything that is going to do that)?

The last bass-related purchase I made was exactly one week ago. A Vox Amplug V2 as a cheap backup to my PJB Bighead. Many years ago I owned the original version of the Amplug and didn’t have much love for it. Thankfully, this new one seems sturdier of build and with a few extra we’ll thought out features. Can’t complain.

As for the last thing I bought that really made a positive difference to my playing/sound, I’d have to say strings! Specifically my investigation into the world of Flatwound and Nylon Tapewound strings. The differences in tension, tone and surface texture make me play the basses they’re on differently, which I really enjoy!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

The last bass-related purchase I made was exactly one week ago. A Vox Amplug V2 as a cheap backup to my PJB Bighead. Many years ago I owned the original version of the Amplug and didn’t have much love for it. Thankfully, this new one seems sturdier of build and with a few extra we’ll thought out features. Can’t complain.

As for the last thing I bought that really made a positive difference to my playing/sound, I’d have to say strings! Specifically my investigation into the world of Flatwound and Nylon Tapewound strings. The differences in tension, tone and surface texture make me play the basses they’re on differently, which I really enjoy!

Sorry buddy, this thread specifically has no strings attached.