Why become a member? ×

Spector fans!?!

thundachopz

On 15/02/2021 at 11:53, Al Krow said:

Not disputing that P pups are often hum cancelling and, indeed, some J pups are too.

But "Humbuckers" in common parlance IMO are usually thought of as describing the soap bar variety shown below.

bass-pickups.001-1-e1554470367421.jpeg

And a P pup is generally referred to as a P pup (or reverse-P as appropriate) to denote its configuration and not as a "Humbucker".

That's all 😉

Found the text next to the picture you used in case you missed it, and aren’t soap bars usually a term reserved for another pick up rather than the M, just for parlance sake of course...................

00E5A1EC-A03F-4BF6-B93A-71CD3E5B73E3.thumb.jpeg.2a84d774163c024d3369f3b445165976.jpeg

• Like 1

I don't disagree that P pups can be hum-cancelling, for a minute.

My point is a very simple one: if you had a bass with P + MM set up and were to say to a bass player that "the bass has  P + Humbucker pups" folk would instantly know what you were talking about - he or she would be (rightly) imagining a P + MM pup set up.

If you said (also technically correctly in Cuzzie speak) that the bass had "two humbucker pups", I bet almost no one would immediately think that you were talking about a P + MM set up.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

If you said (also technically correctly in Cuzzie speak) that the bass had "two humbucker pups", I bet almost no one would immediately think that you were talking about a P + MM set up.

Agreed - when someone says a humbucker I don't think of either a P or an MM type pickups, even though they both are.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I don't disagree that P pups can be hum-cancelling, for a minute.

My point is a very simple one: if you had a bass with P + MM set up and were to say to a bass player that "the bass has  P + Humbucker pups" folk would instantly know what you were talking about - he or she would be (rightly) imagining a P + MM pup set up.

By doubling down on parlance and other stuff - Humbucker gate has become befuddled and entrenched - its not they they can be hum cancelling, they ARE hum cancelling/bucking.

Them being called a P pick up has never been in dispute.

The difference is the field of action between a split coil and an M type pick up, hence sonic differences aside from types of magnets, windings, pole pieces, positions etc.

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Agreed - when someone says a humbucker I don't think of either a P or an MM type pickups, even though they both are.

Exactly, they both are  - it all started 55 million years ago when it was said a P pick up is not a humbucker, and i said thats incorrect and the rolling stone gathered moss

1 minute ago, Cuzzie said:

Exactly, they both are  - it all started 55 million years ago when it was said a P pick up is not a humbucker, and i said thats incorrect and the rolling stone gathered moss

I didn't follow all that - my point was more that Al seems to think if you say humbucker you think of a MM pickup, whereas I don't. i only think of that if someone says an MM type pickup.

Just now, Woodinblack said:

I didn't follow all that - my point was more that Al seems to think if you say humbucker you think of a MM pickup, whereas I don't. i only think of that if someone says an MM type pickup.

It’s a long running Lockdown boredom infused battle for correctness

• Like 1

But is it even correct to say that (all) P pups are humbuckers? My understanding is derived from the following - and I do appreciate it may be relatively basic.

"... there IS a difference between P-bass pickups and humbuckers (both double coil pickups): because, although they both are humbucking pickups, humbuckers have 2 coils under each string, allowing them to ‘pick up’ a wider area under the string, and creating some phase cancelation, resulting in a ‘fatter‘ sound, with attenuated highs and strong lows and mids.

On the other hand, P-bass/split coil pickups are essentially 2 single coil pickups one next to the other…

So why do they sound different compared to regular single coil pickups? Well, this is due to the size of the coil used on each of these pickups:

Since split coil pickups have a smaller coil than single coil pickups, this very coil is wound more times, creating a different inductance.

To conclude, you don’t necessarily need a humbucker pickup to buck the hum. This can also be achieved with single coil pickups thanks to either of the following options:

• Use a noise cancelling/humbucking single coil pickup – which were created to keep the sound of single coil pickups while eliminating their inherent hum
  • Set both single-coil pickups to the same volume – this will cancel out the hum, while creating a trademark “mid scoop” sound

And the truth is, nowadays, most single coil pickups are noise cancelling."

Just saw this on BD's website. NS-2 in red with a killer maple top. Can someone please buy it before I get into trouble with my wife? (my bank gave me a nice banking app that allows me to shift money from the savings to the current account within seconds. Payments only take seconds too and BD's bank details are already stored in the app ;- )

😍🥰🤩

T1.thumb.jpg.b84a76cf93d51ff40faadc0b9e404423.jpg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I was going to say I'd been saved by the lack of thumb rest string, but then I made the fatal mistake of checking the BD website following your post Eldon and I can no longer avoid knowing that this is there...

TE2.jpg

Yeah, awesome looking bass, super classic looks. Fortunately, it has a string too many. I can hardly cope with four. That's why I like playing AIC songs. For many you only need one or two strings. Played Sea of Sorrow today. E string only. That's more like me 😁

I think I should tell BT to block BD's website for my account. Already bought two basses from them and it is still February. Very, very dangerous and costly website 😉

14 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Just saw this on BD's website. NS-2 in red with a killer maple top. Can someone please buy it before I get into trouble with my wife? (my bank gave me a nice banking app that allows me to shift money from the savings to the current account within seconds. Payments only take seconds too and BD's bank details are already stored in the app ;- )

😍🥰🤩

T1.thumb.jpg.b84a76cf93d51ff40faadc0b9e404423.jpg

I think it's gone..... can't find it anywhere on the site, not even under the sold items. 

13 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I was going to say I'd been saved by the lack of thumb rest string, but then I made the fatal mistake of checking the BD website following your post Eldon and I can no longer avoid knowing that this is there...

TE2.jpg

Is this the config you were after over the two soapbars? Be worth a punt as it is stunning!

39 minutes ago, Paulhauser said:

Gotcha! I'm no game for this, the extra 27% VAT I'd have to pay as an extra makes pretty much anything used off limits from the UK. 

Not sure I follow Paul - only a new issue if you are buying used goods from the EU.

VAT and import duty has always been there on purchases from the rest of the world.

No "additional" costs on purchases from a UK retailer such Bass Direct i.e. we always had to pay VAT on new goods, and nothing extra on used goods.

54 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Not sure I follow Paul - only a new issue if you are buying used goods from the EU.

VAT and import duty has always been there on purchases from the rest of the world.

No "additional" costs on purchases from a UK retailer such Bass Direct i.e. we always had to pay VAT on new goods, and nothing extra on used goods.

I think Paul is outside the UK, so he will be charged VAT in his home country (Hungary, right?) plus handling charges unless BD takes out UK VAT before shipping the bass to the EU. They are doing it for new basses (they list a separate export price) but are they doing it for used basses too? They don't seem to list export prices for used basses on their website as far as I can see.