Why become a member? ×

Spector fans!?!

thundachopz

On 10/03/2022 at 11:46, cetera said:

For anyone who hasn't seen this/may be interested:

Just reposting this in case anyone missed it.

Gary ( @cetera ) is looking into getting a limited number of Spectorbirds made.

Things are developing nicely and if you have serious interest in this project, PM him as soon as you can and he will include you in the group.

I would stress on Gary’s behalf, that if you put your name forward, your input will be required.

There’s no point in being a bystander in a development project.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody!

I have purchased a Spector EURO4 TW in matte black with case that’s coming this week to me.

However the previous owner has replaced the pickups and preamp with EMG DC’s and EMG BQC.

I have previously had the same bass with TW electronics which i loved but sold because it was 35inch scale (option from factory).

I am now lookin to restore this bass to original.

I am planning to buy two EMG35TW pickups and i have already bought Spector original knobs on eBay (expensive!)

I also see there is EMG35TWX available, what is the difference?

Now i need to find out about the electronics…

What preamp would i be lookin for?

Was it the Tonepump in this basses?

I know the pots will need to be push/pull function but where can i find these?

Does anyone know where i can find these parts?

Or is there some other combination pickup/pre that i should look at?

• Like 1

Looking at a spec sheet I guess this is what you need:

Pickups & Hardware:

Tone Circuit: Spector TonePump™

Circuit Type: 9-Volt Active - Bass and Treble (TonePump™ SPECS)

Bridge Pickup: EMG 35CS-TW™

Neck Pickups: EMG 35CS-TW™

Pickup Type: Active - Single/dual coil switchable pickups

Hardware Colour: Black

I'm guessing that this will be the TonePump with the trim pot (very useful).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mongo said:

Hi everybody!

I have purchased a Spector EURO4 TW in matte black with case that’s coming this week to me.

However the previous owner has replaced the pickups and preamp with EMG DC’s and EMG BQC.

I have previously had the same bass with TW electronics which i loved but sold because it was 35inch scale (option from factory).

I am now lookin to restore this bass to original.

I am planning to buy two EMG35TW pickups and i have already bought Spector original knobs on eBay (expensive!)

I also see there is EMG35TWX available, what is the difference?

Now i need to find out about the electronics…

What preamp would i be lookin for?

Was it the Tonepump in this basses?

I know the pots will need to be push/pull function but where can i find these?

Does anyone know where i can find these parts?

Or is there some other combination pickup/pre that i should look at?

There's a guy on here selling a Tonepump! It's not a trimpot version though. That pre really needs a trim, my Euro4 LX gas the old non trim! WAY HOT!! Still sounds lush though 😁

Just a thought, others with more knowledge might know better.

as your replacing the pre completely it might be the opportune time to get a Hazlab if you can, I know bass direct sell them. 
please weigh in those that have them 

• Like 1

@Mongo here's what I think:

- get the X series over the normal 35TW because with the X series one the volume (output) does not drop much when using the coil tap - unlike the original 35TW where it drops significantly. 

- the push-pull volume pots will come included with the EMG pickups if you buy the new, they are part of the package

- I would wait with the preamp, the BQC is a great system and has the mid control which many find very useful. So I'd intall the 35TWX and see (hear) If the preamp really needs to be changed

• Like 3

I have now ordered a pair of EMG35TWX from Thomann.

I can see they will be delivered with both the push/pull volume pots and also active tone pots.

Does this mean that i can use only those 4 pots and connect them to the BQC?

I understand that i will lose the mid controls but if they are set to middle position it will be like a Tonepump?

1 hour ago, Mongo said:

Good advice! I will now order EMG35TWX and try with BQC preamp first. Just dont like the knobs….

I agree, not a fan of EMG knobs but plenty of nicer options are available :)

Both videos sounded really good but I guess these guys could make a broom sound amazing too 😉 

I especially liked Patrick playing Them Bones. Nice one. 

TBH, I preferred the look of the first Pulse (esp. the red one). Although, I heard about the finish coming off after some time.

3 hours ago, Mongo said:

I have now ordered a pair of EMG35TWX from Thomann.

I can see they will be delivered with both the push/pull volume pots and also active tone pots.

Does this mean that i can use only those 4 pots and connect them to the BQC?

I understand that i will lose the mid controls but if they are set to middle position it will be like a Tonepump?

It depends how the controls on the bass you are getting are set up. By definition it should be either vol, balance, stacked mid/sweep and stacked bass/treble, or vol, vol, stacked mid/sweep and stacked bass/treble. You're most probably leave the stacked ones as they are and replace the vol, vol or vol, balance with the two push-pull vol pots that the EMG sets have. You are not going to use the rest (ie active tone)

The BQC have center detents, therefore a no boost no cut position and comparing to the Tonepump is tricky because the TP operate in a different way. But I'm sure you'll be getting the tone you want from this setup. 

19 minutes ago, Paulhauser said:

Me too, they got it really right, my only issue is the matte finish, would have loved it high gloss.... (all my satin finishes glosses up where my hand rubs against the finish )

Agree, glossy spots on matte finishes drive me nuts and that's why I only have basses with gloss finishes now