Why become a member? ×

Spector fans!?!

thundachopz

Another photo of my NS-2 in cherry burst. Well, what can I say. Great bass with excellent built quality and not too heavy either. Should be very happy but I am not. Why? It does not look how I wanted it to look like. Similar but not similar enough. I know, I know, ultimate first world problem but I am very OCD about these things. Let's see if I get over it or if it goes soon 😞

579716480_32.SpectorNS-2CherryBurst.thumb.jpg.c1ab1a79f8696203e4429946a272499e.jpg

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Another photo of my NS-2 in cherry burst. Well, what can I say. Great bass with excellent built quality and not too heavy either. Should be very happy but I am not. Why? It does not look how I wanted it to look like. Similar but not similar enough. I know, I know, ultimate first world problem but I am very OCD about these things. Let's see if I get over it or if it goes soon 😞

That's the thing with 'wood finishes', there is a variation in them and it's not guaranteed you'll get the best exemplar of it. I've seen a few with quite a blurry flame/quilt, that one looks quite focused though. That said, my Poplar Burl one is outstanding, i'm posting it again for posturing purposes.

PXL_20220104_140407290.jpg

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

579716480_32.SpectorNS-2CherryBurst.thumb.jpg.c1ab1a79f8696203e4429946a272499e.jpg

Let’s see more photos of the whole thing 💥🎉💥

16 minutes ago, Bunion said:

Let’s see more photos of the whole thing 💥🎉💥

No more photos, it is already cased up and in my bass vault in an undisclosed location somewhere in the heart of rural England (i.e., Leicestershire).

Here is how it should have looked like

2111898857_MikeInezBass.thumb.jpg.99895e49676ace3c16257700779015dc.jpg 

33 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

No more photos, it is already cased up and in my bass vault in an undisclosed location somewhere in the heart of rural England (i.e., Leicestershire).

Here is how it should have looked like

2111898857_MikeInezBass.thumb.jpg.99895e49676ace3c16257700779015dc.jpg 

What are your specific issues with it as they do look pretty similar to my eyes?

Was all set up to become a spector owner yesterday, and get one of the dimension 5s, but sadly the only one that is available at a good price was the brown one, and having seen it on the flesh, its not very attractive for the money, compared to the haunted moss one. Which was a bit dissapointing as I played the dimension and really liked it, even if it is a bit expensive for a korean made bass.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, ead said:

What are your specific issues with it as they do look pretty similar to my eyes?

The colours are way too bright, may not come across well in the photo. For example, the red could have been darker and closer to Mike's bass. Would have been possible as they used the darker red on the back. No idea why they did not use it on the front too. See here

521024616_NS-2Colour.thumb.jpg.84a1b6f92bc0896394673e2ecb8d1343.jpg

As I said, 1st world problems but I was soooo looking forward to it and now I am disappointed. Well, I either get over it or sell it soon and do it all over again but then with the other company that shall not be named in this Spector thread, hoping they'll do a better job for this one:

1436385334_MikeMoon.jpg.28fc17430e1bffcdb53995de5e2220b9.jpg

4 minutes ago, Bunion said:

Was this a special custom build/colour you specified? 

yes and they had the Mike Inez photo I posted here. It is a shame that they never sent me a photo, asking whether or not I am ok with the finish. I know that some luthiers do that but I've read on TB that Spector is not, or at least not always, doing that. Well, I am sure someone else will love it, not knowing the back story. So, if anyone is interested, then just drop me a PM 🙂 

3 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

yes and they had the Mike Inez photo I posted here. It is a shame that they never sent me a photo, asking whether or not I am ok with the finish. I know that some luthiers do that but I've read on TB that Spector is not, or at least not always, doing that. Well, I am sure someone else will love it, not knowing the back story. So, if anyone is interested, then just drop me a PM 🙂 

I'm sorry to see this but I think that I'd be feeling the same way - I'm not sure that the red is much darker on the reverse side of the bass, it may just be that the body wood (walnut?) is itself much darker than the maple on the front.  I kind of find the front a little too 'bright' red too, and for my tastes, I'm not sure it works too well with the figuring in the maple.  I don't know much about Mike Inez or his basses, but does the Spector he's pictured with have solid maple wings?   

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Ouch looks rubbish...I'll give you a brace of Haggis & a btl of Irn Bru as it's Burns night....

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

was told that the colours are pretty close and that they will get darker over time. Well, could be the case, but I am not known for my patience 😀

I see what the solution is here, I’m very patient, you send it to me (I could collect you’ve had a shock after all) and I’ll  do all I can to darken that lovely bass down for you. 
I’ll even drop it back when it’s done. 

Edited by Bunion
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Dov65 said:

Firewater.....you must have some cracking Spectors now

I sold several last year (matte black Forte 4, black Euro LT Fishman and Euro 1977) and still have four at the moment. Out of these, 2 are staying (white Euro Mike Starr and gloss black Forte 4, my AIC and Queensryche tribute basses) and 2 are going (vintage tint ash Forte 4 and cherry burst NS-2). 

5 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Not sure either but probably yes

I would say almost without doubt that mikes is solid quilted maple, as I cant recall ever seeing an SSD era bass from the USA with different front/back. 
Without seeing the specs, I’d fancy the back is reclaimed redwood, which is why it’s darker. Did you spec that or is just how it came?
she really does look lovely mate, on a dark stage she will look awesome!

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Damonjames said:

I would say almost without doubt that mikes is solid quilted maple, as I cant recall ever seeing an SSD era bass from the USA with different front/back. 
Without seeing the specs, I’d fancy the back is reclaimed redwood, which is why it’s darker. Did you spec that or is just how it came?
she really does look lovely mate, on a dark stage she will look awesome!

Thanks and yes it is redwood.

thumbnail_IMG_7469.jpg.3dfd76093e539035e14d3cf5e74d0ea5.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Thanks and yes it is redwood.

thumbnail_IMG_7469.jpg.3dfd76093e539035e14d3cf5e74d0ea5.jpg

You know, the more I look at this bass, the more I like it.  It would be good to see some more images (if the bass isn't packed-up).  Oh, and the thread made me have a listen to Alice in Chains - there's some material on YouTube from 2019 in which Mike Inez appears to be playing the Spector that inspired the one above.  Inez' bass sounds huge but there's an awful lot of processing going on in the video.

Edited by three
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, three said:

You know, the more I look at this bass, the more I like it.  It would be good to see some more images (if the bass isn't packed-up).  Oh, and the thread made me have a listen to Alice in Chains - there's some material on YouTube from 2019 in which Mike Inez appears to be playing the Spector that inspired the one above.  Inez' bass sounds huge but there's an awful lot of processing going on in the video.

i saw them live, and was really digging the tone from his Warwick, then he played the spector and it was just INSANE!!!

if it wasn’t for the price tag, I’d snap this up in a heartbeat @Eldon Tyrell

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, three said:

Mike regularly uses the red Spector that I posted earlier in this thread on songs in C#, for example Down in a Hole or Dam that River

• Like 2

I say AIC live in Leeds in 2018 and in B'ham in 2019. I saw Mike's Spector and told to myself - I need to have that! Well, I kind of got it, just not like I wanted it to be.

Anyway, time to move on. Today, I put some new strings on my black Forte - DR MR45s. I normally use D'Addario EXL 165 but I wanted to try something different. Well, I have to say that I like the DR's, like them a lot. They sound and feel great.