Why become a member? ×

Spector fans!?!

thundachopz

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

I initially started with a Spector Legend Custom, which was the previous top end of  Legend range, and liked it so much I upgraded to an Euro LX5 which I rate very highly. 

Spector revamped and upgraded their Legend line up a couple of years back and the difference between them and the Euro range seems to have blurred, particularly at the top end of the new Legend range, which can retail for > £1k and also be neck through in construction. 

The key difference between the two still, for me, would be better electronics in the Euro range. But I suspect it would be possible to upgrade the new series Legends to match, for less than the price difference. 

How do the electrics differ?

On 09/12/2021 at 00:01, cetera said:

Update....

Rumour has it that we will see a run of these Euro X basses in shops here in Europe in the Spring... 😉

I was just going through some old emails - on 23/9/21 I got this reply from B&M following an enquiry I emailed them:

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your enquiry and interest in Spector Basses.

Spector had actually planned to release a Euro 4X this year but unfortunately due to production complications and material shortages they have had to postpone this for the foreseeable future.

Sadly there is no date for them at the moment and to be truthful it seems unlikely that we would see them next year either.

I am sorry we were not able to give you better news.

Many thanks and best regards,

Pete

Peter Hoggett

Barnes and Mullins Ltd

etc.

I know it's only 40 basses (so far), but this kind of response hurts, especially now.  It's no wonder people lack faith in many things. 

Years ago, I bought a Honda CRV; during the purchase process we visited a Honda dealer, the salesman denied all knowledge of any facelift model (which despite us doing our homework, seeing the new model and knowing when it was coming out) and seemed horribly ignorant of the cars Honda were selling as well.  This email from B&M just reeks of the Honda model.

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Spector revamped and upgraded their Legend line up a couple of years back and the difference between them and the Euro range seems to have blurred, particularly at the top end of the new Legend range, which can retail for > £1k and also be neck through in construction. 

I think this is it for me, I have no idea where to start! I don't think I want to go in at the Performer range. Now I've looked a bit more, there the NS Ethos range at £1.5k. But can't find many reviews of the 5 string version, just the 4. So many choices! 

1 minute ago, BassApprentice said:

I think this is it for me, I have no idea where to start! I don't think I want to go in at the Performer range. Now I've looked a bit more, there the NS Ethos range at £1.5k. But can't find many reviews of the 5 string version, just the 4. So many choices! 

Is there a particular sound / tone you're after? And any steer from the Sire as to what you know you didn't like? Worth focusing on the pups / preamps on offer and maybe canvas some feedback on here - I think that will be where the most noticeable tonal difference will come from. 

I'll have to admit I like the EMG 40s plus Tone Pump preamp, with trim pot, I've got on my Euro 5LX, a lot. 

I'd probably also recommend seeing if you can pick up a used Euro 5LX, if you're after a 5 string, and give it a spin. You'll take much less of a hit than buying new if you decide it's not for you. 

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, cetera said:

NSD! A gorgeous Spector Ethos in 'interstellar' gloss. Aguilar PJ pickups and OBP2 preamp...

Looks and plays gorgeous! Will see how I like the sound but I may swap out to EMG X P&J and poss a TP or SNC Haz pre...

20211223_141156.jpg

Nice! I'm curious how are you gonna like the Aggie combo. I had the same combination when I received my white gloss Euro 435 - sounded good but only when I swapped the pus to X series EMG PJs became it a great sounding bass with the typical growl we all like. Kept the OBP2 in that though as I always run my preamps flat (or in case on the tp, a fav setting and leave at that) 

Has anyone directly compared a euro5lx and a dimension 5? Interested in any differences I own a euro and thinking about adding a dimension to the collection. Less likely if they're very very similar though. Thanks 😎

Also Happy new year!

Edited by Salt on your Bass?

Hi guys.

first off: happy new year to everyone!

I’ve been looking at the Bantam for a while as I’m a short scale player. As I’m only using flatwounds on all basses, I wondered if anyone has experience with this bass and strings, or spectors with flatwounds in general?

Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...

Spector fans! Just watched this video on Andertons channel, featuring the Euro LT with the Fishman fluence pickups. I used to own one of these. Great looks and sounds but the neck was a bit too chunky for my taste. 

They mention a lovely customer called Gary who is an endorsee and has a great Spector collection (see from 14:16), I think that can only be you, @cetera 🙂 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Over at TB, I just found out about the new process for ordering US custom basses. No more Fortes (!) and lots and lots of options.

Here is a cool video that goes through the process in detail. Better start saving money 🙂 

Looks like the video has been taken down. Guess we are not supposed to know yet that the Forte is no more.

On 14/01/2022 at 16:56, Eldon Tyrell said:

Spector fans! Just watched this video on Andertons channel, featuring the Euro LT with the Fishman fluence pickups. I used to own one of these. Great looks and sounds but the neck was a bit too chunky for my taste. 

They mention a lovely customer called Gary who is an endorsee and has a great Spector collection (see from 14:16), I think that can only be you, @cetera 🙂 

Yep, that's me! lol!

Lee Voss is a top chap.... ;)

• Like 3

Anyone tried the pulse - I saw a red cinder pulse 5 in bristol and it looked quite good, although seemed a little expensive for what looked a bit like a legend.

Still interesting though, although I assume it is 35" (I am assuming as it says different things on different sites)

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Anyone tried the pulse - I saw a red cinder pulse 5 in bristol and it looked quite good, although seemed a little expensive for what looked a bit like a legend.

Still interesting though, although I assume it is 35" (I am assuming as it says different things on different sites)

Not myself. I really like the look. Red and black. My fav colour combination. Found this review/gear talk video though. 

Mentions that the finish comes off, which is a bit of a bummer, esp. for people like me who are a bit OCD about these things

39 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Not myself. I really like the look. Red and black. My fav colour combination. Found this review/gear talk video though. 

Mentions that the finish comes off, which is a bit of a bummer, esp. for people like me who are a bit OCD about these things

Good review - yes, the finish coming off doesn't sound good. My Maruszczyk is redburst on swampash textured, and I do love that finish (not as extreme as this). I saw it in the shop in bristol or in fact my wife noticed it and liked it, which is always handy

• Like 1