Why become a member? ×

Spector fans!?!

thundachopz

1 hour ago, Bunion said:

I’m looking for a Wal for the Wal tone and sound. I had thought about and have tried a few MM Bongo’s, I’ve heard sei’s that get close but when you have a sound in your head it’s in there for good. 
The grass is always greener as they say.

Besides after all these years lusting for one I’d better see what the fuss is about 😄

That's fair enough, I'll say no more about ACG other than Alan's filter preamp and multi-coil pickups were designed based on the WAL setup, and an  Über spec ACG would be about half the price of a new WAL with MANY more options available... And a third of the build time (possibly less!)... OK I'll stop now...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bigwan said:

That's fair enough, I'll say no more about ACG other than Alan's filter preamp and multi-coil pickups were designed based on the WAL setup, and an  Über spec ACG would be about half the price of a new WAL with MANY more options available... And a third of the build time (possibly less!)... OK I'll stop now...

Be interested to know if Alan manages to closely capture the Wal sound with his Über spec ACGs? You come across any decent clips of them being A/B'd?

Though not a direct "copy" of a Wal, ACGs have their own characteristic palette.

As I always say - if you can't find a tone you like there's something wrong with you - not the ACG bass. 

There are a few on this forum - see if you can borrow one...

12 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Though not a direct "copy" of a Wal, ACGs have their own characteristic palette.

As I always say - if you can't find a tone you like there's something wrong with you - not the ACG bass. 

There are a few on this forum - see if you can borrow one...

I am sure an ACG will get you close to the Wal sound. As a massive Tool fan, I always wanted one badly. However, I cannot afford a new or even a used Wal and I recently got a G&L L2K that someone described as the poor man's Wal. It's a great bass but the problem is that ACG/G&L etc will get you close, maybe even very close, but, and that's the sad truth, they will never be a Wal and if you really, really want a Wal (and not just something that sounds like one), then a little voice in your head will always be there and tell you from time to time: yes, it sounds almost like a Wal but you know and I know and I know that you know that it isn't a Wal. You will try not to listen to this little annoying voice in your head but like all the unborn chicken voices in my head, you will never be able to completely ignore it, not until you have finally bought the Wal. Trust me, I have several of these voices in my head!

Anytime I listen, voices in my head, everybody listen, does yours say what mine says? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

That's true... It's better! 

maybe it is subjectively better for you (more power to you) or maybe it is even objectively better (assuming you could somehow objectively define and measure what you mean by "better") but it will never be subjectively better for me. Won't be able to convince the voice in my head. 

21 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

maybe it is subjectively better for you (more power to you) or maybe it is even objectively better (assuming you could somehow objectively define and measure what you mean by "better") but it will never be subjectively better for me. Won't be able to convince the voice in my head. 

That's why I qualified my initial statement with IMHO, and YMMV... But having been on the "MUST HAVE WAL" merry-go-round and satiated that thirst to the tune of £550 (what I paid for my Wal), I wouldn't pay the going rate nowdays... But I'd happily pay the going rate for an ACG... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

Though not a direct "copy" of a Wal...There are a few on this forum - see if you can borrow one...

Applying your instruction to the first part of your post...oh, of course, I would absolutely love to borrow a Wal! 

I suspect I might have more luck borrowing a bunch of other stuff from Wal owners before they let their Wal wander off...

😁

On 08/10/2021 at 19:34, Bigwan said:

That's why I qualified my initial statement with IMHO, and YMMV... But having been on the "MUST HAVE WAL" merry-go-round and satiated that thirst to the tune of £550 (what I paid for my Wal), I wouldn't pay the going rate nowdays... But I'd happily pay the going rate for an ACG... 

Yeah I recall buying a Warwick over a Wal that was £850 back in 98. Kicking myself now 🙄

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Bunion said:

No worries glad it’s getting played again. I play DR Fat- beams and sunbeams 45-105’s they super supple  The Dean Markleys we’re a trial and I agree felt quite stiff but sounded great on a Spector 

I’m going through GHS 45-100’s like no tomorrow currently, love them but they die when you breathe near them - 2 rehearsals (so 8 hours play) and they’re useless, well…I’m exaggerating but at £25 a pop 😂

10 minutes ago, Bunion said:

Try the Sun-Beams  if you haven’t already they are a tad more expensive but I get a good run out of them, I’ve tried boomers but found as many others report they do die fast 

It’s been about 10 years since my last DR trial. Maybe it’s time again - although I seemed to dislike them (hi beams I think) - I’m obviously a bit of a Goldilocks for strings 😂

• 1 month later...

Spector fans,

Someone over at TB posted this and I immediately thought of @cetera  🙂

xbird.thumb.jpg.51b7721c24acff5d0f5227d5014cc8ce.jpg

"A long awaited limited run of Spector's fabled X Bass! One of only 40 in the United States!! Originally designed for one of Rock's biggest Bassists, Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue, the X Bass is now available as a Euro Model for a limited time only!! This one has a Gorgeous Flame Maple top with a Blue Black Gloss Finish!"

https://reverb.com/item/47547314-spector-euro4xbbg-black-blue-gloss-killer-flame-maple-top-limited-edition-authorized-dealer 

• Like 5

Yep, I heard about this. Seen a tobacco sunburst one too. This has been withdrawn from reverb page as these basses aren't supposed to be listed until next week. Hopeful of some coming into the UK.

Edited by cetera
  • Like 2