Why become a member? ×

Spector fans!?!

thundachopz

My next Spector will be a USA NS2 preferably a Brooklyn era then I’m done.
There are to many models now  I agree, they’re also offering so many different pickup/preamp options for me they are becoming watered down. 

Edited by Bunion
  • Like 2

Personally I don't mind the wider product portfolio and as long the quality is there I wouldn't say they are watered down. I still remember years ago Spector fans complaining about lack of certain things (like fanned fret models, 34" 5 string Euros etc.) The market will decide which models are going to perform well in terms of sales and player preferences and I'm sure Korg will not be hesitant to pull the underperforming models and also introduce new stuff, too. Maybe it will take some time to settle from this transitional period when old and new models are offered alongside. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

Personally I don't mind the wider product portfolio and as long the quality is there I wouldn't say they are watered down. I still remember years ago Spector fans complaining about lack of certain things (like fanned fret models, 34" 5 string Euros etc.) The market will decide which models are going to perform well in terms of sales and player preferences and I'm sure Korg will not be hesitant to pull the underperforming models and also introduce new stuff, too. Maybe it will take some time to settle from this transitional period when old and new models are offered alongside. 

This..... ^

They really SHOULD release a Euro-X (Spectorbird) though..... we keep asking for it!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cetera said:

This..... ^

They really SHOULD release a Euro-X (Spectorbird) though..... we keep asking for it!

While I love a black bass, Spector do seem to be knocking it out if the park with the finishes.  That Sundown Glow.  Mother.Of.God. 

Now, yes.  If they did a 'bird, with that finish?  What is wrong with Korg?  They can do these in Europe without any interference from Gibson, why won't they?

Bad Korg.  Bad, bad Korg.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I only own the one Spector (Euro LT), I couldn't ever see me expanding on that model and I'm feeling (sorry, Gary) that pretty much everything new from Spector is still being based off the same NS body shape.  Surely this will ultimately lead to a degree of apathy from the customer-base; they look great, but we're getting mighty to close to Fender approach whereby they're just sticking to the core models and dressing them with new guts as if they were something new.

Spector could, as I understand it, make a 4X/Thunderbird model out of the Czech Republic without any crap from Gibson as the body design patent has expired in Europe, so feasibly they could make them by the busload.  There's does seem to be a queue of people here who have shown interest.

I do wonder whether there's a minimum order quantity required, you'd think that if they had to make 500 they would easily be able to sell these in the European market alone so long as they didn't get stupid with the pricing; there's no reason why they couldn't bring this in at c.£2K a pop.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

I do wonder whether there's a minimum order quantity required, you'd think that if they had to make 500 they would easily be able to sell these in the European market alone so long as they didn't get stupid with the pricing; there's no reason why they couldn't bring this in at c.£2K a pop.

They only made 50 of the Euro4 LE '77 bass.  Not sure how many of the Euro4 LE '79 were produced but I can't imagine it was too many more.

Edited by ead

14 minutes ago, ead said:

They only made 50 of the Euro4 LE '77 bass.  Not sure how many of the Euro4 LE '79 were produced but I can't imagine it was too many more.

They're essentially the classic NS model though, so it was just a matter of glueing some other woods together than usual and feeding them into the CNC machines to sculpt them to the usual specs. Shouldn't be too expensive to produce a limited batch based on an existing model that way. Producing a small batch of an entirely new model would be quite something else. 

20 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

They're essentially the classic NS model though, so it was just a matter of glueing some other woods together than usual and feeding them into the CNC machines to sculpt them to the usual specs. Shouldn't be too expensive to produce a limited batch based on an existing model that way. Producing a small batch of an entirely new model would be quite something else. 

True, but in the case of the Spectorbird (X model) they already have the templates from some custom orders they did a few years ago at the Czech factory.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, cetera said:

True, but in the case of the Spectorbird (X model) they already have the templates from some custom orders they did a few years ago at the Czech factory.

That's a good point. They have the templates, so that should may things easier. You may want to drop Taylor McLam an email ([email protected]) and ask about it. He seems to reply to emails quite quickly. Over at TB, someone asked him about an issue with the bridge on a recently purchased Euro LT and he replied quickly. Maybe it really just needs a handful of orders (maybe via a retailer, e.g. BD) and they'll do a special run. Worth a try.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ead said:

The 40th Anniversary Euros were 12 of each I believe in Blue and Red.

There is also a similar special edition Green one, that was a 3 of I believe.  I'll try and find some pics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ead said:

The 40th Anniversary Euros were 12 of each I believe in Blue and Red.

There is also a similar special edition Green one, that was a 3 of I believe.  I'll try and find some pics.

In my mind the Le 77’s, 79’s and things like anniversary models should have had hazlabs in them not tone pumps.

maybe they were afraid of encroaching on the USA mysticism…

Edited by Bunion

Just now, Eldon Tyrell said:

BTW, @cetera, why do you want a Euro X Spectorbird? You already have one of the most stunning looking Spector(bird) basses of all time! 🤩

I think you'll find that Gary has dozens and dozens and dozens of some of the most stunning looking Spectors; I'm sure that if they bought out five different derivatives he's end up with all of them at some point (possibly making alternative delivery arrangements, to boot! lol)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well, I emailed Barnes & Mullins earlier and got a reply.  Disappointing, but at least they responded.  Obviously no way of checking the validity, but hey-ho.

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your enquiry and interest in Spector Basses.

Spector had actually planned to release a Euro 4X this year but unfortunately due to production complications and material shortages they have had to postpone this for the foreseeable future.

Sadly there is no date for them at the moment and to be truthful it seems unlikely that we would see them next year either.

I am sorry we were not able to give you better news.

Many thanks and best regards,

Pete

Peter Hoggett

Barnes and Mullins Ltd

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I only own the one Spector (Euro LT), I couldn't ever see me expanding on that model and I'm feeling (sorry, Gary) that pretty much everything new from Spector is still being based off the same NS body shape.  Surely this will ultimately lead to a degree of apathy from the customer-base; they look great, but we're getting mighty to close to Fender approach whereby they're just sticking to the core models and dressing them with new guts as if they were something new.

This is a very interesting observation. I agree that the NS design is so distinct and well though out that it is (and was) hard for Spector to veer away from it. I happen to love it more than any other bass designs and have currently 7 of them (US and Euros) and to be honest I never cared anything else Spector have or had like the X  - sorry Gary- or Rex for example and when they introduced the Fender copy Coda I was just shaking my head. 

What I do believe is that unlike Fender Spector with its NS design has a lot more market potential as it is a lot less market share than the classic Fender and look-a-likes but once a player gets to play a NS in many instnces will be won over.  The NS design is one of Spectors main strenghts and  I think Korg  is now able to have a lot bigger market penetration than what the limited means of Stuart and PJ had, even if the import lines already weren't handled by them. So for me it makes sense to concentrate on this as maby the die-hard Spector players will get tired but there is such a room to grow by reaching and convincing other players. The brand is strong, the heritage is strong so if the quality is kept with clever marketing and wider distribution this can be a new and succesful era. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

BTW, @cetera, why do you want a Euro X Spectorbird? You already have one of the most stunning looking Spector(bird) basses of all time! 🤩

s.jpg.4819aafd98d65f8e26c3dd9896af4c57.jpg

Thanks!

Why a Euro X? Well because I want some more , and more affordable versions of this bass in other colours ;) lol!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cetera said:

Thanks!

Why a Euro X? Well because I want some more , and more affordable versions of this bass in other colours ;) lol!

An entirely rational and very reasonable explanation.  Please proceed.

• Haha 3