Why become a member? ×

Spector fans!?!

thundachopz

12 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

Mrs DaBass says that this Forum has got a lot to answer for. 

Two Basschat 1x12 cab builds

One 1x10 combo build.

Five Bitsa builds

TOO many purchases following great reviews. 

Rehearsals twice a week. 

Bathroom needs painting. 

The main hedge needs cutting. 

You promised to paint the outside of the house this year. 

You go down the beach every day. 

You go down the pub three evenings a week. 

AND you go down the club to watch the rugby and don't get back until 11.00

Anyone else  heard this 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

Sorry, am I missing something?  What exactly is the issue here, this seems like perfectly acceptable behavior?

• Haha 4

So spent some time this morning A/B my latest acquisitions, a Spector Legend 4 TN and a Legend 5 Classic.

The 4 TN has Aguilar DCB G3 Pups and Aguilar OBP-2 pre and the 5 Classic has Tone Pump Jr & Bartolini Pups.

Using the stock strings and Zoom B1 Four into Fender Rumble 500 and Fender 1x12 cab.

First observation was the higher output gain of the Tone Pump Jr over the OBP-2 there is quite a substantial step in output.

The DCB G3 are much more polite than the Barts. Both are very clean & articulate, but the Barts just seem to have a bit more Grunt.

The centre detent on the bass & treble controls of the OBP-2 is a welcome help to finding your starting point.

The variety of tones from both basses is vast and offers a range that should appeal to a broad church of bassists.

My initial conclusions are that I prefer the Tone Pump Jr & Bartolini Pups of the 5 Classic but the slinky fast neck of the 4 TN is an absolute dream to play for a 4 string.

I wonder what a proper adult Tone Pump pre and EMGs would sound like in upgrading the 4 TN??????

Perhaps a project for next year???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

Aside from the Spector branded official cases what suggestions do Spector owners have for a value for money case for a 35" scale Legend 5 Classic and Legend 4 TN?  

The Sire gig bags are pretty decent. I held onto mine when I sold my Sire P7 and regularly use it now for everything but Sire! 😊

PS I think Andertons sell them separately. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

NS2000/4 thru-neck on Gumtree.

Maybe a bit over-priced (normally sell for £300-350) but looks like a nice example.

Still a lot of bass for the money.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/rare-spector-ns-2000-4-active-bass-guitar./1413132619

Last one on here seems to have sold for £550....I shall see what it fetches soon I hope lol! Thanks for posting!

2 hours ago, theplumber said:

Last one on here seems to have sold for £550....I shall see what it fetches soon I hope lol! Thanks for posting!

I think you are referring to my old one there.

That has EMG active pickups and a Tonepump upgrade worth around £200.

Fret decals as well to complete the look.

As stock these will have passive EMG HZ pickups, pretty rubbish in my view and miles away from the true Spector Sound.

Preamp is likely an EMG which is actually fine.

I see the Gumtree advert says Active, that's the preamp that is active, photos show clearly that the pickups are passive EMG HZ.

Edited by bagsieblue

3 hours ago, bagsieblue said:

I think you are referring to my old one there.

That has EMG active pickups and a Tonepump upgrade worth around £200.

Fret decals as well to complete the look.

As stock these will have passive EMG HZ pickups, pretty rubbish in my view and miles away from the true Spector Sound.

Preamp is likely an EMG which is actually fine.

I see the Gumtree advert says Active, that's the preamp that is active, photos show clearly that the pickups are passive EMG HZ.

I stand corected as they say....I actually think it sounds fine as is. But I have adjusted the price a bit to make it more in line with what it is which is stock. It's hard to get an idea of a price with it being pretty rare and not many examples about.

4 hours ago, theplumber said:

I stand corected as they say....I actually think it sounds fine as is. But I have adjusted the price a bit to make it more in line with what it is which is stock. It's hard to get an idea of a price with it being pretty rare and not many examples about.

Ahhh, didn't realise it was your bass too.

Yes, a fine bass as is.

I'm half tempted myself.

Can you put up a photo of the preamp too, what weight is it?

• 3 weeks later...

On t'other end of the scale, no pun intended, has anyone ever got their hands on the Performer 4 series? It looks like it could be very comfy and light. Passive pickups are the appeal as well, stick a set of Geezer Butlers in there. I would assume they should slot in perfectly. Looking for a cheap PJ option...

Not as cool looking as an Epi Thunderbird or Fender P bass style, at that price point perhaps...

12 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

I've been going absolutely wild for Casiopea and Yoshihiro Naruse over the past few months. Naruse used a Spector extensively in mid to late 80's and early 90's. The growl he gets out of it is off the chain!

Nice! That's an early 80's Brooklyn-made deep-set bolt-on Spector NS2J with Badass bridge, Haz pre and 2xEMG J pickups. They had fantastic growl....

• Like 4

Just saw this over at TB- A new, but not yet officially announced, Euro Series - Euro RST. Key features seem to be the roasted maple necks, empress wood as body wood (aka paulownia, known to be very light), the three new finishes and Aguilar humbuckers and Aguilar OBP-2 preamp. The latter makes sense thanks to Korg's recent acquisition of Aguilar.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Spector/Euro-4-RST-Electric-Bass.gc

What do you think?

S1.thumb.jpg.c54e0d93192fee123938870e120c0f8d.jpgS2.thumb.jpg.2be2efd987fe8059b9a3858dd85bedc2.jpg S3.thumb.jpg.a78c1f50d9060b42c7e1db5cb02537c6.jpg

• Like 5

Nathan Navarro, he’s a session player and has a few albums out. 
He also promotes and produces content for a host of manufacturers. 
“Fender, Peavey, Ernie Ball, Spector, Warwick, Thomann, ESP, Kiesel, Dingwall, NS Design, Mayones, Jim Dunlop, Source Audio, Electro-Harmonix, Eventide, Darkglass, Boss, Genzler Amplification, and others.” 

from his bio. Great  all round player not just slap. 

• Thanks 1

On 20/09/2021 at 19:02, Eldon Tyrell said:

Just saw this over at TB- A new, but not yet officially announced, Euro Series - Euro RST. Key features seem to be the roasted maple necks, empress wood as body wood (aka paulownia, known to be very light), the three new finishes and Aguilar humbuckers and Aguilar OBP-2 preamp. The latter makes sense thanks to Korg's recent acquisition of Aguilar.

What do you think?

S1.thumb.jpg.c54e0d93192fee123938870e120c0f8d.jpgS2.thumb.jpg.2be2efd987fe8059b9a3858dd85bedc2.jpg S3.thumb.jpg.a78c1f50d9060b42c7e1db5cb02537c6.jpg

I've just seen these! The Turquoise 5 string is pretty much my perfect bass 😍

Screenshot_20210922-125011_Chrome.jpg

On 20/09/2021 at 19:02, Eldon Tyrell said:

What do you think?

These look great, I did not know that Korg acquired Aguilar, it makes so much sense for each branch to collaborate to combine the knowhow and expertise.  The humbucking Alnico 5 Pups sound fantastic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnDaBass said:

These look great, I did not know that Korg acquired Aguilar, it makes so much sense for each branch to collaborate to combine the knowhow and expertise.  The humbucking Alnico 5 Pups sound fantastic.

I get that Korg wants to make more use of Aguilar pickups and preamps and I also get that Korg wants to put Spector basses into the hands of more and more players. I am just getting a bit concerned that they are started to stretch the brand a bit too much. For example, for the Euro series alone, we now have the Euro Classic, the Euro LT, the Euro LX, the Euro RST and the Euro LE Squid. Plus Euro Bolt and Euro artist models (Hill, Sarzo (LX and LT), Wimbish, Bolan and Webster).  

https://www.spectorbass.com/series/euro-series/

https://www.spectorbass.com/series/artist-series/