Why become a member? ×

Spector fans!?!

thundachopz

10 hours ago, molan said:

Easy to identify which one of us it was by our hair 😂

Phil didn’t much at all

Vic had a giant mane (usually under a beenie)

Barrie was the ‘silver Fox’ 🙈

I think it was Phil then 😉

It was a great day and the beginning of my Spector journey 👍

3 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

I think it was Phil then 😉

It was a great day and the beginning of my Spector journey 👍

And it was a Spector Legend NT Bubinga that I bought for £999. My first and probably last Spector for under £1k 😉 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

A "basic" query from me which I hope one of you guys ( @Paulhauser, @Eldon Tyrell, @Mastodon2?) can easily sort! With the Spector stock bridge, what screw head / allen key are you using to adjust the bridge piece heights?

I've tried take as visible a pic of the thread head as possible, in case this of interest to anyone else:

Spector Euro 5LX bridge.jpg

Edited by Al Krow

Did the bass not come with a basic tool kit? There’s normally a hex key set for the the adjustments tucked into a packet in the case. Failing that I t’d be quicker to either just measure the screws or whip out the mini tool

kit/multi tool and get stuck in until one fits. 
Failing that buy a wee hobby screwdriver set with the interchangeable heads preferably one with hex heads too and your sorted for any tweaks to any bass in your collection. It’ll cover saddles, grub screws on volume/tone pots etc. Very handy to keep in the gig bag!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Al Krow said:

A "basic" query from me which I hope one of you guys ( @Paulhauser, @Eldon Tyrell, @Mastodon2?) can easily sort! With the Spector stock bridge, what screw head / allen key are you using to adjust the bridge piece heights?

I've tried take as visible a pic of the thread head as possible, in case this of interest to anyone else:

Spector Euro 5LX bridge.jpg

Do you mean the height of the string saddles? For that you can use these:

1.5mm or 1/16'' Allen key

20210802_100953.thumb.jpg.2a3043d517727a9b5bd5b5df50abe337.jpg

More info about all tech stuff: Manual halfpage.pmd (spectorbass.com)

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, krispn said:

Did the bass not come with a basic tool kit? There’s normally a hex key set for the the adjustments tucked into a packet in the case. Failing that I t’d be quicker to either just measure the screws or whip out the mini tool

kit/multi tool and get stuck in until one fits. 
Failing that buy a wee hobby screwdriver set with the interchangeable heads preferably one with hex heads too and your sorted for any tweaks to any bass in your collection. It’ll cover saddles, grub screws on volume/tone pots etc. Very handy to keep in the gig bag!

My bad - lol! There was nothing originally in the box from Andertons and I've not actually used the Spector gig bag as I've had another that does the job well (my old Sire gig bag). However I've just dug out the Spector gig bag and tucked into one of the pouches was a little packet with three allen keys and two strap locks...all's well that ends well 😁

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

My bad - lol! There was nothing originally in the box from Andertons and I've not actually used the Spector gig bag as I've had another that does the job well (my old Sire gig bag). However I've just dug out the Spector gig bag and tucked into one of the pouches was a little packet with three allen keys and two strap locks...all's well that ends well 😁

Cool, so what did you get? Show us!!! 🙂

6 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Cool, so what did you get? Show us!!! 🙂

Ah - nothing new, just my existing Euro 5LX that I've had for a while and am sufficiently smitten by to decide to move my Yamaha BB NE2 on, the Spector is that good!  I was very happy with how it was set up when I got it, other than needing to trim the TonePump (don't we all? 😄). However I noticed a bit of fret buzz recently so I thought I might need to adjust the string heights a touch (or possibly a truss rod adjustment - but I'm always a lot more nervous about going near truss rods!).

Confession time: - I've recently got an Elrick Evo5 which is an equally lovely bass and it was actually the combination of Elrick and Spector together which meant that my NE2 was not getting a look in.

• Like 2

Glad you got the bridge sorted @Al Krow, the bridge is the only thing that I find to be unimpressive on my Euro, it's perfectly machined etc, but I think it's a bit of a duff design for adjusting the intonation. Not that it's a job you do often, but it's so much easier to make fine adjustments on a Warwick bridge, for example. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Mastodon2 said:

Glad you got the bridge sorted @Al Krow, the bridge is the only thing that I find to be unimpressive on my Euro, it's perfectly machined etc, but I think it's a bit of a duff design for adjusting the intonation. Not that it's a job you do often, but it's so much easier to make fine adjustments on a Warwick bridge, for example. 

Totally agree. The bridge is the one small criticism I have of my Euro 4LX. Everything else is perfect. They are such awesome sounding and playing basses.

Spector fans, is one of you currently selling lots of your Spector basses ? I've just checked Bass Direct's pre-owned section and there are several new additions. I think at least 5 (7 in total). Have to ask my wife to hide my credit cards in a safe place 😉 

• Haha 1

There's a chap on the Spector nation Facebook page getting rid of a load of Spector's for the widow of a bass playing neighbour - i think they are the same basses. Some seriously nice basses there...

Edited by Bigwan

2 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Spector fans, is one of you currently selling lots of your Spector basses ? I've just checked Bass Direct's pre-owned section and there are several new additions. I think at least 5 (7 in total). Have to ask my wife to hide my credit cards in a safe place 😉 

There is one that is on there, or at least was last night, that is incorrectly listed. It's a black Euro 4 that had the hardware swapped out for gold items, it has been incorrectly listed as an Ian Hill model.

It was on sale in the classifieds here for a while. I must admit, my finger did flicker over the PM button the sale thread, but decided against it.

After I move house later this year I'm going to sell a few basses and fill the empty slots in the roster with limited edition Warwicks and perhaps a Warwick Streamer of some description.

Edited by Mastodon2

20 minutes ago, Mastodon2 said:

There is one that is on there, or at least was last night, that is incorrectly listed. It's a black Euro 4 that had the hardware swapped out for gold items, it has been incorrectly listed as an Ian Hill model.

It was on sale in the classifieds here for a while. I must admit, my finger did flicker over the PM button the sale thread, but decided against it.

After I move house later this year I'm going to sell a few basses and fill the empty slots in the roster with limited edition Warwicks and perhaps a Warwick Streamer of some description.

There have been other Ian Hill models in the past - I mean different from the current P only version. The one you mention is listed with a slimmer nut width in the listing than a Euro 4LX, although Bassdirect listings are all best taken with a pinch of salt. Never seen more mistakes than the short ads they put on Facebook!

Edited by Bigwan

46 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

There have been other Ian Hill models in the past - I mean different from the current P only version. The one you mention is listed with a slimmer nut width in the listing than a Euro 4LX, although Bassdirect listings are all best taken with a pinch of salt. Never seen more mistakes than the short ads they put on Facebook!

See also "The bass has been cleaned and set up with low action". I bought a used bass from them which had roundwounds on it that were so old they were probably fitted when the bass was new in 1989 and low action that still had enough clearance to drive a double decker under.

30 seconds with the tools fixed it, but it shouldn't have left the shop like that.

1 hour ago, Bigwan said:

Correct, the previous IH model came as a PJ model (black only). For the current models (black and white), Spector and Ian decided to get rid of the J pickup as Ian never uses it anyway (there are videos where he mentions that).  

1 hour ago, Mastodon2 said:

I looked at the photos on BD's website and the second to last photo of the headstock shows the "Ian Hill" signature. It is in the right place. So, unless the previous owner created his own IH signature, it is an IH signature model. The typical thin neck specs would also give it away but I cannot judge that from the photos. 

Spector Euro 4LX four string bass, poplar burl top, Second Hand and Ex-demo Bass Guitar Stock:: For sale, UK, EU, Birmingham, Manchester, London USA, on offer (bassdirect.co.uk)

• Like 1

NBD Spector Legend 4 Neck Thru in Black Cherry.

20210806_164900.thumb.jpg.313458da839b7a1c840d1962ba2aa61f.jpg

20210806_164905.thumb.jpg.82ae29e3808fc19a9fc68e3fc9332084.jpg

So I was very pleased with my recent purchase of my Spector Legend Classic 5 that I purchased a Spector Legend 4 Neck Thru in Black Cherry from the Jimmy Egypt site.

It was one of the last basses of the previous Legend 4 NT range, it has Aguilar DCB G3 Pups and Aguilar OBP-2 pre. I searched for the older version because the latest Legend 4 NT is a P/J and as I already own a couple of P/J basses so I wanted soap bar Pups for a change. 

The bass arrived before 11.00 am the next after purchase and I am so pleased with bass the finish is superb the neck is slim and fast with a great range of tones on offer.

Great bass.

20210806_164938.thumb.jpg.e5656d9e9d1acd7f400f57f866235d55.jpg

20210806_165011.thumb.jpg.5cfc99b1c46faf98a715033c0bb68d20.jpg

The really good news is that Mrs DaBass was out down the village when DHL delivered the bass, so it's currently hiding behind the door in my Study/music room. if she happens to notice a shinny bass on the stand with the others I will use my normal stock response of " I have had that for ages!! you don't pay much attention to my hobby".

Happy Days!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

I looked at the photos on BD's website and the second to last photo of the headstock shows the "Ian Hill" signature. It is in the right place. So, unless the previous owner created his own IH signature, it is an IH signature model. The typical thin neck specs would also give it away but I cannot judge that from the photos. 

Spector Euro 4LX four string bass, poplar burl top, Second Hand and Ex-demo Bass Guitar Stock:: For sale, UK, EU, Birmingham, Manchester, London USA, on offer (bassdirect.co.uk)

In that case I stand corrected but you'll have to forgive me for having no faith in Bass Direct, their adverts have so many mistakes in them.

1 hour ago, JohnDaBass said:

NBD Spector Legend 4 Neck Thru in Black Cherry.

20210806_164900.thumb.jpg.313458da839b7a1c840d1962ba2aa61f.jpg

20210806_164905.thumb.jpg.82ae29e3808fc19a9fc68e3fc9332084.jpg

So I was very pleased with my recent purchase of my Spector Legend Classic 5 that I purchased a Spector Legend 4 Neck Thru in Black Cherry from the Jimmy Egypt site.

It was one of the last basses of the previous Legend 4 NT range, it has Aguilar DCB G3 Pups and Aguilar OBP-2 pre. I searched for the older version because the latest Legend 4 NT is a P/J and as I already own a couple of P/J basses so I wanted soap bar Pups for a change. 

The bass arrived before 11.00 am the next after purchase and I am so pleased with bass the finish is superb the neck is slim and fast with a great range of tones on offer.

Great bass.

20210806_164938.thumb.jpg.e5656d9e9d1acd7f400f57f866235d55.jpg

20210806_165011.thumb.jpg.5cfc99b1c46faf98a715033c0bb68d20.jpg

The really good news is that Mrs DaBass was out down the village when DHL delivered the bass, so it's currently hiding behind the door in my Study/music room. if she happens to notice a shinny bass on the stand with the others I will use my normal stock response of " I have had that for ages!! you don't pay much attention to my hobby".

Happy Days!!

Congrats. Looks great. The Legend NT was my first Spector. 

However, don't lie to your wife. Tell her that the bass is just a loan from Eldon Tyrell and that you will return it by the end of the month.

I'll send you my address 😉 

• Haha 1

Black cherry looks great John! I sense a slippery slope appearing before you ...how long before you fall prey to a Euro LX I wonder? Now that is something that Eldon could lend you to avoid you needing to lie to your wife... 😂

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Black cherry looks great John! I sense a slippery slope appearing before you ...how long before you fall prey to a Euro LX I wonder? Now that is something that Eldon could lend you to avoid you needing to lie to your wife... 😂

My only LX is the Mike Starr LE and that is the only bass that is not going anywhere. So, @Al Krow, if you want me to help @JohnDaBass, you have to "lend" me another Euro LX first 😉 

Edited by Eldon Tyrell
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

My only LX is the Mike Starr LE and that is the only bass that is not going anywhere. So, @Al Krow, if you want me to help @JohnDaBass, you have to "lend" me another Euro LX first 😉 

I've previously led John astray with Zoom B1-4 multi fxs. His wife is already not on talking terms with me. I don't want to be responsible for any more of John's gear nirvana moments. 

• Haha 1

Mrs DaBass says that this Forum has got a lot to answer for. 

Two Basschat 1x12 cab builds

One 1x10 combo build.

Five Bitsa builds

TOO many purchases following great reviews. 

Rehearsals twice a week. 

Bathroom needs painting. 

The main hedge needs cutting. 

You promised to paint the outside of the house this year. 

You go down the beach every day. 

You go down the pub three evenings a week. 

AND you go down the club to watch the rugby and don't get back until 11.00

Anyone else  heard this 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

• Like 1