Why become a member? ×

Spector fans!?!

thundachopz

21 minutes ago, Paulhauser said:

I wrote this elsewhere in this forum but I think some of the best basses that ever came out of the Czech workshop are these two, the 1977 and the 1979

I haven’t tried a great array of Spector’s but  I have tried a great variety of basses over the years and I have to say my 77 with sunbeams is an absolute pleasure to play. 
ive ordered some fat beams to try out with it too. 
My other Spector has Blue steels for a bit more bite, it also doesn’t have the tone pump trim pot so hasn’t the versatility of the 77. 

13 minutes ago, Bunion said:

I haven’t tried a great array of Spector’s but  I have tried a great variety of basses over the years and I have to say my 77 with sunbeams is an absolute pleasure to play. 
ive ordered some fat beams to try out with it too. 
My other Spector has Blue steels for a bit more bite, it also doesn’t have the tone pump trim pot so hasn’t the versatility of the 77. 

Cool! Nowadays I'm using either HiBeams / Fatbeams or EB Slinky Cobalts (these are great!). They all sound awesome on my Spectors (and others, too)

20 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I agree, it is high praise, and fully deserved from where I'm sitting.

The Yamaha BB1025, which has been a goto bass for several years and will continue to be, is a truly fantastic 5 string passive PJ and hard to beat at its price point.

My gigging experience is currently very limited with the Spector - Covid descended just as I was starting to use it in anger: I posted a review earlier in this thread: Spector fans!?! - Page 5 - Bass Guitars - Basschat 

The Spector Euro 5LX is a different, purely active animal, to the 1025 and, as I've posted elsewhere, has a lot more in common with another Yamaha the flagship BBNE2: The Yamaha BB mega-thread - Page 187 - Bass Guitars - Basschat 

I've set out in that comparison a number of features that I really like about both basses. Pulling out some of the stand-out features of the Spector, for me these are:

• tonal variety from single or dual coil for either pup on Spector and ability to mix and blend;
  • meaty, fulsome tone from the EMG 40s plus TonePump preamp (dialled back!) which work really well together;
  • sculpted comfortable body and laminated neck-through which looks and sounds great;
  • playable, comfortable neck and easy to access 2 octave fretboard

The fact that I, and much more importantly, MusicPlayers magazine are prepared to consider the Euro 5LX and the NE2 in the same breath is testament to the Spector's quality, not least given that it is significantly lower in price than the NE2.

Ah yes I think I remember you sharing the link a while back

https://fb.watch/5fZO4lEd6n/

it’s interesting how you altered the bass line to a 12 bar blues type line for a different flavour.

• Like 1

Regarding cases , the TSA Spector Flight version is definitely a step above the standard TKL Kramer case . Tried to order one from BD but sadly they unable to import them and instead had to obtain one via Bass Central in Florida. Fits Brooklyn, Kramer and Woodstock NS models perfectly.071EBDDC-3AED-435D-A66F-C78A2FF79214.thumb.jpeg.175e45ebb41bc5877637ec527d00167b.jpeg79951E89-63D4-4405-9E38-0C88944CB989.thumb.png.bdfd78155dbfed44d4ab5a76b4d143e6.pngA633D24B-E215-48E6-ACDF-76FEA5BFA6D2.thumb.png.03cb233a8a56b3046c6f2fab81395efa.png

365D2048-F141-419F-B18E-FFB48E242B4D.jpeg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, BritBass 2 said:

Regarding cases , the TSA Spector Flight version is definitely a step above the standard TKL Kramer case . Tried to order one from BD but sadly they unable to import them and instead had to obtain one via Bass Central in Florida. Fits Brooklyn, Kramer and Woodstock NS models perfectly.071EBDDC-3AED-435D-A66F-C78A2FF79214.thumb.jpeg.175e45ebb41bc5877637ec527d00167b.jpeg79951E89-63D4-4405-9E38-0C88944CB989.thumb.png.bdfd78155dbfed44d4ab5a76b4d143e6.pngA633D24B-E215-48E6-ACDF-76FEA5BFA6D2.thumb.png.03cb233a8a56b3046c6f2fab81395efa.png

365D2048-F141-419F-B18E-FFB48E242B4D.jpeg

Great case for one of the greatest looking Spector basses of all time 🤩

• Like 1

Took my first trip to GuitarGuitar today and decided to do some serious tyre kicking of a Spector Euro LX....I wish I hadn't 😅

Everything just works. I hate finished necks, this one worked for me. I normally want to twiddle all the knobs but the Tone pumps takes away the need to do that. Body was comfortable, pickup placement was great. 

But I just don't have £2k to splash on one...maybe one day or are there any older/midrange models that remotely match the Euro? 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

But I just don't have £2k to splash on one...maybe one day or are there any older/midrange models that remotely match the Euro? 

Closest probably comes the Korean made Legend Neck-Thru. Here is one

Spector Bass Legend 4 NT, Walnut Stain Gloss | PMT Online

The new Ethos is also a NT. These will probably cost around £1.4-£1.5k though

Legend electronics differ from the Euro (Aguilar pickups and preamp) and also the neck is narrower. The Legend NT I had was also pretty heavy.

• Thanks 1

The euros pop up second hand too for occasionally less than a £1000 but certainly more in the 12 - 15 hundred bracket just got to keep an eye on the classified and fleabay sales 

• Thanks 1

On another note, I’ve been looking at wax to nourish and pamper the 77’s natural finish, I’d considered the contents of the cupboard under the sink and even toyed with the idea of getting some Warwick wax (shocking I know) as I used it on a Thumb I once owned but couldn’t bring myself to use it on the Spector.
I don’t use lemon oil on fretboards  I use crimson guitars own brand cleaner and restorative and they are fine products so I don’t have any lying around to follow the recommended Spector regime and besides I’d have to buy lemon oil and wax. 
I did however see quite a few recommendation for Howard’s Feed-N-Wax which contains orange oil, beeswax and carnauba wax so while I was away I ordered a bottle and it was here when I got home today, it smells fantastic. 
So tomorrow morning will be 77 spit and polish day and we’ll see how the wax does. I’ll report back after the full service. 

C697C91E-024A-4CE6-AF34-6F7F9D371D7A.jpeg

• Like 4

77 has been stripped, fettled, tightened, cleaned, fretboard oiled, body waxed, reassembled and restrung. Took slightly longer than I intended but it’s such a lovely bass I went over every inch of wood and checked every screw, nut and control. 
The Feed N Wax has performed as I was expecting from reports, it hasn’t coloured the wood at all but has soaked in and left an almost warmer look to the body, not so clinically new and crisp, it looks for want of a better word more, ‘comfortable’. It certainly feels a lot smoother and comfortable (I did the back of the neck too.)

It was strung with DR sunbeams (nickel) which I’ve used for awhile on my fretless and other basses but I’ve gone for the DR fat beams (stainless) this time and oh stinky poo do they suit this bass. Juicy thick low end and punchy mids, highs are a little more reserved (I like that) than other stainless strings I’ve tried but I’ll be sticking with the fat beams on 77. 
She’s singing through the SVT and Bag Ends so I’m off to upset the neighbours! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bunion said:

77 has been stripped, fettled, tightened, cleaned, fretboard oiled, body waxed, reassembled and restrung. Took slightly longer than I intended but it’s such a lovely bass I went over every inch of wood and checked every screw, nut and control. 
The Feed N Wax has performed as I was expecting from reports, it hasn’t coloured the wood at all but has soaked in and left an almost warmer look to the body, not so clinically new and crisp, it looks for want of a better word more, ‘comfortable’. It certainly feels a lot smoother and comfortable (I did the back of the neck too.)

It was strung with DR sunbeams (nickel) which I’ve used for awhile on my fretless and other basses but I’ve gone for the DR fat beams (stainless) this time and oh stinky poo do they suit this bass. Juicy thick low end and punchy mids, highs are a little more reserved (I like that) than other stainless strings I’ve tried but I’ll be sticking with the fat beams on 77. 
She’s singing through the SVT and Bag Ends so I’m off to upset the neighbours! 

Nice one. I've just ordered the Feed-N-Wax. I will use it for my 77, which I am planning to sell it soon, so I think it would benefit from a nice polish 👍

I can just see the finish getting better as time goes on. 
I do have a tub of Renaissance wax from a previous need and I tried that in a small test area but it just sealed the wood and polished shiney it’s bloody good stuff but not for 77 

4 minutes ago, Paulhauser said:

@Bunion and @Eldon Tyrell I always thought that these 1977 and 79's have clear coating on them, a satin, thin one but still it is not untreated wood or not oil finished. But I might have been mistaken as clearly the wax must have gone somewhere IN...or simply evaporated into air? 

I don't know. What I do know is that after having applied the Feed-N-Wax, the 77 looks better than ever! The colour of the wood just looks more intense. Difficult to explain. So, thanks again @Bunion 👍

77.thumb.jpg.1fb66587925c507561417c6c47ae1a19.jpg

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

No new bass from BD, I am afraid, only clearing our "living"room to make my wife happy. Although, I am still looking for a Stingray Classic, natural finish, maple FB 😉 

I see. Pity for that 1977, these are really great basses...

1 minute ago, Paulhauser said:

I see. Pity for that 1977, these are really great basses...

Agree but the new Forte just blew both the 77 and the Forte away 😎

I still have the Vintage Tint Ash Forte and the Mike Starr Euro. Both are in cases though. My only remaining basses "in the wild" are these three:

500405029_Basstrio.thumb.jpg.b308e1494eea57b79523eed518c29f1a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

Back in the Spector family after trading in a Spector Performer 5 string...

Photos to follow...

Welcome back to the Spector family! As you know, you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2