Why become a member? ×

Spector fans!?!

thundachopz

1 hour ago, Paulhauser said:

While I don't know the specific reason for the change I can say that US Spectors seem to have some differences even within the same modell lineage. My current two NS-5XLs have differently carved neck heels, different headstock depth, peghead angle and body top carve. Also the neck profile is slightly different. The basses are three years and 97 serial numbers away from each other.....

Thanks and fascinating - inspecting the two Shortys more closely, they do have some fairly different characteristics.  Probably the most obviously noticeable is the weight - the 2015 is much lighter than the 2011 and the latter is a very substantial bass despite its diminutive size.  The 2015 also has the DW neck dimensions.  The videos of US Spector production show just how much hand carving and finishing is involved (despite extensive use of a CNC) and I suspect that this is where most of the differences arise.  Or maybe in the way that Alembic will do, sometimes Spector luthiers just see where the wood takes them and apply individual expertise to see what works best with a particular instrument (within certain parameters, of course).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, three said:

The videos of US Spector production show just how much hand carving and finishing is involved (despite extensive use of a CNC) and I suspect that this is where most of the differences arise.

Yes, I think this is one of the main reasons apart from maybe customization at some basses, where the customer requests something specific like the neck profile. First I was a bit surprised to be honest, I sort of expected these being exactly the same (and I had another NS-5XL which again was also non-identical) but now I see this as every one of these being a bit different, like having their own personality as opposed to uniformly manufactured mass produced instrument (which I also happen to like for different reasons)

Since replies are always better with pics, here is one with the two in question being on the left.

IMG_7483.thumb.JPG.199833eb88026315e3614678385bdd43.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 30/04/2021 at 10:32, Graham said:

might be in a position to spend a bit of money on a bass later this year, what's the going rate for a used NS5-XL these days?

That's a tricky question as these don't come up for sale used very often. I can't seem to find any used NS-5XL in the EU right now and after quick check none in the UK, too.

There was a beauiful violet NS-5XL for sale here a few months ago with some info on the pricing 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Graham said:

They do seem rare used, which speaks to the quality

Actually there about are 450-460 pcs of NS-5XL's produced between Stuart Spector started the 35" 5 string NS-5 line and his retirement so there aren't too many to choose from. 

Of course there are Forte5's and the bolt-on fivers but strictly speaking on the NS-5XL, that's the number. Needless to say that the NS-5XL continues to be built after SS sold the company but still in very small numbers, I think now they are around the 500+ mark overall.

16 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

Is a NS Pulse 4 considered by Spector owners a good entry into the Land of Spector for a Newbie to Spector basses?

Sorry John, can't help you on that one, but hopefully one of the others can. 

I do know that I was very pleasantly surprised when I got an older Legend Custom. Gave me the confidence to step up to a Euro 5LX, when Andertons had one in a sale, and which has blown me away - it's very possibly the best gigging bass I will ever have. 

56 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Sorry John, can't help you on that one, but hopefully one of the others can. 

I do know that I was very pleasantly surprised when I got an older Legend Custom. Gave me the confidence to step up to a Euro 5LX, when Andertons had one in a sale, and which has blown me away - it's very possibly the best gigging bass I will ever have. 

That’s really high praise as I know how much you like your Yamaha to gig with.

What was the main difference on a gig playing a set between the two which makes the Spector the go to bass?

25 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

That’s really high praise as I know how much you like your Yamaha to gig with.

What was the main difference on a gig playing a set between the two which makes the Spector the go to bass?

I agree, it is high praise, and fully deserved from where I'm sitting.

The Yamaha BB1025, which has been a goto bass for several years and will continue to be, is a truly fantastic 5 string passive PJ and hard to beat at its price point.

My gigging experience is currently very limited with the Spector - Covid descended just as I was starting to use it in anger: I posted a review earlier in this thread: Spector fans!?! - Page 5 - Bass Guitars - Basschat 

The Spector Euro 5LX is a different, purely active animal, to the 1025 and, as I've posted elsewhere, has a lot more in common with another Yamaha the flagship BBNE2: The Yamaha BB mega-thread - Page 187 - Bass Guitars - Basschat 

I've set out in that comparison a number of features that I really like about both basses. Pulling out some of the stand-out features of the Spector, for me these are:

• tonal variety from single or dual coil for either pup on Spector and ability to mix and blend;
  • meaty, fulsome tone from the EMG 40s plus TonePump preamp (dialled back!) which work really well together;
  • sculpted comfortable body and laminated neck-through which looks and sounds great;
  • playable, comfortable neck and easy to access 2 octave fretboard

The fact that I, and much more importantly, MusicPlayers magazine are prepared to consider the Euro 5LX and the NE2 in the same breath is testament to the Spector's quality, not least given that it is significantly lower in price than the NE2.

21 minutes ago, barrycreed said:

I have admired the Spector body shape for a while and the headstock. Wonder if they ever did a p pickup only bass? I suppose you could just yank out the j pickup! 😛

Yes they did, it is called Euro 4 LE1977 and it is a wonderful bass, happen to have one. 

IMG_5175.thumb.JPG.5d825d6704a7f9b5fd7caf6159f8e716.JPG

edit:

And the new Ian Hill Signature is also a single P 

https://www.spectorbass.com/product/euro4-ian-hill/

Edited by Paulhauser
Ian Hill
  • Like 2

Just got myself one from @Alfie Noakes and I’m finding it hard to put down even though I’ve been playing mostly fretless this last 6 months. 

photo is from Phil too I’m not at home at the moment. 

I’ve got my eye on your 79 too @Paulhauser 😏

0B8B0FC4-7EAA-4305-962C-21B901BFD6D5.jpeg

Edited by Bunion
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paulhauser said:

Yes they did, it is called Euro 4 LE1977 and it is a wonderful bass, happen to have one. 

IMG_5175.thumb.JPG.5d825d6704a7f9b5fd7caf6159f8e716.JPG

edit:

And the new Ian Hill Signature is also a single P 

https://www.spectorbass.com/product/euro4-ian-hill/

Yes, the 77 is great. Killer, earth-shattering sound with a super fast neck (so much nicer than the rather chunky Euro necks, at least in my opinion). It was one of my favs. Why "was"? Well, I recently got a black gloss Forte with a thin neck that just looks and sounds like early AIC and Queensryche. So, sadly the 77 and another Forte will have to go soon (wink wink ;- )

2 hours ago, Bunion said:

Just got myself one from @Alfie Noakes and I’m finding it hard to put down even though I’ve been playing mostly fretless this last 6 months. 
I’ve got my eye on your 79 too @Paulhauser 😏

Nice score, quite a bit of figuring on that one. Seems like you weren't drunk when making this purchase (= very cear minded and clever decision 🙂 )

As for my '79 I have no plans putting up for sale soon, but even if I did me being in the EU a purchase from me would be a hassle now post-Brexit. 

7 minutes ago, Paulhauser said:

Ohh come on you know you are gonna regret THAT. 

I know, I know but I have a loooong wishlist and GAS is a dangerous and costly disease 😉 Moreover, there is only so much space in our "living" room and I have already been shown the yellow card by my best half. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paulhauser said:

Seems like you weren't drunk when making this purchase (= very cear minded and clever decision 🙂 )

Your quite right Getting drunk and looking at the classified ads is deadly 🤣😂 

however this time I was quite clear headed, I saw this model when spector set them free into the wild and was determined to catch one. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bunion said:

Your quite right Getting drunk and looking at the classified ads is deadly 🤣😂 

however this time I was quite clear headed, I saw this model when spector set them free into the wild and was determined to catch one. 

Well I don't know you, I only read what's down in your signature 😄

I wrote this elsewhere in this forum but I think some of the best basses that ever came out of the Czech workshop are these two, the 1977 and the 1979.

I don't play 4 string basses. Or rather, my main gigging bass is a Euro 435 tuned to BEAD but that is another kind of 4 string. And I use my other 5 string Spectors (pictured above in this thread) for recording and gigging as I seem to have to have the low B. So in a way I don't have a practical reason to own two 4 stringers that I only play for fun, but I happen to have lots of fun playing the along with some of my fav songs and that is fair enough of a reason to own them (being privileged as no monetary nor space issues could go between us)

3 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

I know, I know but I have a loooong wishlist and GAS is a dangerous and costly disease 😉 Moreover, there is only so much space in our "living" room and I have already been shown the yellow card by my best half. 

Well, it surely is not a bright thing to mess with the Missus especially when shown the yellow card so I get it 🙂 

(Fortunately - for me at least- I have enough space in our office room thus no objections so far....)

Edited by Paulhauser
typo