Why become a member? ×

Spector fans!?!

thundachopz

5 minutes ago, Billy Apple said:

Euro LX as NS2, but maple/alder wings and Tone Pump

500th post for me!!!

The Euro LX come with an alder/walnut/maple or poplar burl sandwich. Some LEs have solid maple wings (e.g. the Mike Starr Euro 4LX LE) and I think the Ian Hill sig bass has them too. The 1977 and 1979 LEs had solid walnut wings. 

You also got the the Euro LT with alder/figured maple and Bartolini pickups and Darkglass Tone Capsule preamp and the Euro Classic with weight-relieved maple wings, EMG pickups and EMG BTS preamp.

3 minutes ago, Billy Apple said:

It's the best I can do. There's a lot of variation on the theme. I forgot to say that the Pups are usually EMG, but over the years they've used DiMarzio, Aguilar and Bartolini. There's also an 18V Haz Labs, they've used EMG pre-amps, Aguilar and Darkglass (maybe some others?)

Yes, the Haz 18V is in their NS4. I comes with three knobs instead of the usual four: volume, blend, and stacked bass and treble. I got it for one of my Fortes. The NS4 normally comes with two EMG 35DCx soapbars. I have two EMG 35P4x instead, so technically it is a double P bass now. Sounds pretty cool. 

5 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

I got it for one of my Fortes

My NS5 Forte came with an upgrade OBP3 (as opposed to 2). I wasn't too enamoured with it and changed it for an SNC 18V clone. Wasn't blown away, put the OBP3 back in and love it!

I dunno... I can be a bit of a pillock at times.. it was 2 visits to the Gallery!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Brilliant - thank you. 

However, my 5LX is also 5 string 35" scale so I guess to complete the picture:

NS2 = Euro 4LX but maple/alder wings and Tone Pump

NS5 = 5 string but 34" scale?

NS5-XL = Euro 5LX but maple/alder wings and Tone Pump

The way I see the neck through NS models

NS1 was the original design. NS shape, one pickup. Closest Euro model is the Euro4 LE1977

NS2 is a NS1 with two pickups, originally PJ but also as JJ sometimes. Closest Euro product is the Euro 4 or Euro4LE1979 or the Classic 4

NS4 is the 2x dualcoil pickup version of the NS2. All other features are the same (sort of) There is a version of the Euro 4 with dual coils, either EMG35DC or 35TW

NS5 is a five string version of either the NS2 (PJ) or the NS4 (dual coils). It IS 34". Sometimes comes with a double J. Or whatever you want as pickup arrangements. Still it has to be 34". Closest Euro counterpart is the NS-5CR or the current Classic 5 (with JJ pickups)

NS-5XL 35" version of the NS-5. Comes mostly with 2 dual coils (EMG40DC) but can be PJ, JJ or there was a couple of instances of a single P. Again, customize as you want. Euro counterpart is the Euro5, Euro 5XL, or 5LT

Also worth noting the Euro435 which is a 35" Czech version of either the NS2 (PJ) or the NS4 (dual coils) Quite rare I have to say. 

In general US models will have EMG and HAZ or anything you order that fits to the scheme (Aguilar, Bartolini, EMG)

Euros will have Tonepump or sometimes Aguilar electronics, mostly EMG, Bart or Aguilar pickups. 

You will have great basses either way.

Edited by Paulhauser
fixed typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm increasingly blown away by just how good my Euro 5LX is...and further to Eldon's post earlier saw that NS5-XL at BD I posted - it's on for an eye watering £5.5k. But I'm struggling to think that the US version is going to be significantly better? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

But I'm struggling to think that the US version is going to be significantly better? 

You can go round and round with this. All I know is when I play my NS2 I just go 'oh, yes!'

But, I totally get it about the Euro/NS2 thing. Although the Euro's are now very close to what I paid for my NS2... They're hardly what you could call budget

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Billy Apple said:

You can go round and round with this. All I know is when I play my NS2 I just go 'oh, yes!'

But, I totally get it about the Euro/NS2 thing. Although the Euro's are now very close to what I paid for my NS2... They're hardly what you could call budget

Trouble is my previous "round the houses" was getting a used Legend Custom to dip my toe into the Spector water. Liked it a lot and gave me the confidence to trade up to my current 5LX, which has gone from "very good" to "outstanding" in my books, as I've got to know it better and am now feeling at ease with the 35" scale. It's really making me ask myself why I'm still holding onto a couple of my other basses!

I guess the one GAS "protection" is that the NS5-XL at BD is not in my preferred finish - flamed maple or vintage white would be awesome. And at that price point you kinda feel allowed your choice of finish, right? 😊

Edited by Al Krow

20 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Any of you BC'ers got a Rebop? 

Comments I've seen seem to be that suffers from neck dive but tonally pretty good / comparable to the Euro. Fair summary?

I've got a 5 string Rebop. I got it for potential live work for a project that has an album I'm on. They are intending to tune down a whole step for gigs, so I got the Rebop as it has a 35" scale.

Yes, it does have a bit of neck dive and the tone is nothing special (I may upgrade the pickups if the project really takes off), but it does play quite nicely. It's one that I will sell if the band doesn't happen (quite likely as it has lost a certain amount of momentum due to the pandemic / lockdown), so I'm afraid its not really a keeper for me. 

• Thanks 1

On 28/02/2021 at 21:11, Billy Apple said:

Agreed - my NS 2 is significantly better than the Euro's I've had.

22 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Any of you BC'ers got a Rebop? 

Comments I've seen seem to be that suffers from neck dive but tonally pretty good / comparable to the Euro. Fair summary?

Rebops (as stock) come with the passive EMG HZ Pickups.  Pretty bland sounding pickups in my opinion and tonally a long way from an active EMG equipped Euro.  I suspect similar electronics would put you in a similar tonal area.  They do tend to neck dive too due to the small light weight body.

14 minutes ago, bagsieblue said:

Rebops (as stock) come with the passive EMG HZ Pickups.  Pretty bland sounding pickups in my opinion and tonally a long way from an active EMG equipped Euro.  I suspect similar electronics would put you in a similar tonal area.  They do tend to neck dive too due to the small light weight body.

Yea, I had this discussion with you when I picked up a bass from you. The Rebop isn't a bad bass by any means, but needs some decent pickups. Having said that, it just doesn't compare to my go-to Xotic basses. 

44 minutes ago, bagsieblue said:

Agreed - my NS 2 is significantly better than the Euro's I've had.

Can you unpack that for us a bit? I'm really interested to know in what way you're finding the NS2 to be significantly better, not least given that I really rate the Euro 5LX.

49 minutes ago, bagsieblue said:

31 minutes ago, peteb said:

Yea, I had this discussion with you when I picked up a bass from you. The Rebop isn't a bad bass by any means, but needs some decent pickups. Having said that, it just doesn't compare to my go-to Xotic basses. 

That is a super helpful steer and cuts to the chase brilliantly, thank you.

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Can you unpack that for us a bit? I'm really interested to know in what way you're finding the NS2 to be significantly better, not least given that I really rate the Euro 5LX.

I was very underwhelmed when I played a couple of Euros when they first came out and didn't think that they were as good as the two Warwick Streamers that I was gigging at the time, but I've got a mate (a really good player) who swears by his American NS Spectors. I always fancied one, but couldn't justify the cost when I had a couple of Streamers that pretty much did the same thing. 

33 minutes ago, peteb said:
I was very underwhelmed when I played a couple of Euros when they first came out and didn't think that they were as good as the two Warwick Streamers that I was gigging at the time, but I've got a mate (a really good player) who swears by his American NS Spectors. I always fancied one, but couldn't justify the cost when I had a couple of Streamers that pretty much did the same thing. 

I've gone in the opposite direction Pete - started with Warwick and ended up with Spector Euro.

Were the ones you played pre-2008 Euros by any chance? If so, I think the ability to dial back the TonePump preamp post 2008 could be significant factor in why they are now so very good (IMO). Mine is a 2015 vintage.

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I've gone in the opposite direction Pete - started with Warwick and ended up with Spector Euro.

Were the ones you played pre-2008 Euros by any chance? If so, I think the ability to dial back the TonePump preamp post 2008 could be significant factor in why they are now so very good (IMO). Mine is a 2015 vintage.

Yea, way before 2008, it was when the Czech built Euros first became a thing. Always fancied an American Spector, but never owned one. I know people who swear by them. 

I played streamers for years; rock solid basses that worked really well for the hard rock stuff I was playing. I switched to more traditional Fender style basses when I started picking up more blues gigs, as they kinda looked and sounded more appropriate. 

Edited by peteb

Spector fans! Hope you are all fine and staying safe. This showed up in my YT feed today. Cool limited run Spectors with Ziricote tops. I have never heard of that wood but I think it looks great. I really like what the Ish guys are doing. In the video, Jesse is playing a NS-5. However, I really dig the the Spectorbird with the pale moon ebony FB. 😍 Hope they'll make a video featuring that one too.

Spectorbird.thumb.jpg.fb4aefb8308809f70e14a30d57b6f8d6.jpg

• Like 5

I’ve got a NS5H2 - USA bolt on with EMG’s and an OBP3. And I’ve had a couple of Euros pass through. The tone is completely different to the Euros. Probably a combination of the build and the circuit. Less aggressive (but still a hot output), tighter / more compressed and a more focussed mid range and a more polite top end. Little bit of neck dive due to the lighter body (and chunky neck) but not too bad and a wide leather strap sorts it. And on the chunky neck, PJ was telling me when I took delivery that Stuart paid great attention to neck stability. And I have to say he was right. In 9 years I’ve never had to tweak it - in all temperatures.

(NB - one of my Euros was an early green 5 with gold hardware and solid maple wings and a chip above the bridge pickup where my screwdriver slipped! I’d love to know what happened to that. I believe Guitar Guitar in Edinburgh sold it. Definitely one I wish I had kept).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JD1 said:

I’ve got a NS5H2 - USA bolt on with EMG’s and an OBP3. And I’ve had a couple of Euros pass through. The tone is completely different to the Euros. Probably a combination of the build and the circuit. Less aggressive (but still a hot output), tighter / more compressed and a more focussed mid range and a more polite top end. Little bit of neck dive due to the lighter body (and chunky neck) but not too bad and a wide leather strap sorts it. And on the chunky neck, PJ was telling me when I took delivery that Stuart paid great attention to neck stability. And I have to say he was right. In 9 years I’ve never had to tweak it - in all temperatures.

(NB - one of my Euros was an early green 5 with gold hardware and solid maple wings and a chip above the bridge pickup where my screwdriver slipped! I’d love to know what happened to that. I believe Guitar Guitar in Edinburgh sold it. Definitely one I wish I had kept).

Which EMG's are in it? DCs or TWs? (red lettering)

As for the green one, I'm in the same position as I had one too, the early one with the maple wings and Aguilar obp which I have sold....fortunately I know the person still has it and from time to time I ask him if I could buy back. No luck so far...

• Like 1

Hi all, can I just ask a pricing question on here please.  Ive have been after a Spector since I heard the tone Leigh Foxx of Blondie gets on his live.  I love the gloss black look, crown inlays and curved body of the NS2 and recently have been offered that chance at a Euro LX 4 - gloss black, tone pump, EMG pups - literally like new.  The only slight put off is the chrome hardware as opposed to the gold.  Price im being quoted is £1300 including a spector case.  The bass is spotless and plays really well.  The seller did mention its a supposedly Ltd Edition with full maple wings.  Does that price seem reasonable or am I right in thinking its a little of the steeper side of things?

45 minutes ago, Pow_22 said:

Hi all, can I just ask a pricing question on here please.  Ive have been after a Spector since I heard the tone Leigh Foxx of Blondie gets on his live.  I love the gloss black look, crown inlays and curved body of the NS2 and recently have been offered that chance at a Euro LX 4 - gloss black, tone pump, EMG pups - literally like new.  The only slight put off is the chrome hardware as opposed to the gold.  Price im being quoted is £1300 including a spector case.  The bass is spotless and plays really well.  The seller did mention its a supposedly Ltd Edition with full maple wings.  Does that price seem reasonable or am I right in thinking its a little of the steeper side of things?

Asking prices in the FS for mint Euro 4LXs seem to be around the £1,350 to £1,500 mark at the moment - which are obviously subject to "haggle" as with any asking price.

There were a couple of beauts that went for less last year and the market is generally gummed up at the moment, so you may be able to negotiate a bit of a price chip.

Do you know how old the bass he's selling is?

What I do know is you're almost certainly going to love the bass! Just remember to wind the TonePump down a bit if the seller hasn't done so already 😉

Edited by Al Krow
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Pow_22 said:

That's a pretty reasonable price and solid black ones are not that common so I'd say go for it, but see if you can get a little bit knocked off the price anyway ;)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pow_22 said:

I agree with the others. It is a fair price but I would try to get the asking price down a bit. These Euros with the solid maple wings (instead of the alder/walnut/maple or burl sandwich) are rare and great. If you want gold hardware instead of the chrome one, then ask Mark at Bass Direct to get it for you. He did it for my Euro 77 as I prefer gold over chrome too. He had the tuners in stock and ordered the bridge for me.

1966449676_SpectorEuro1977LE.thumb.jpg.20c071567d3353172d22320563d5a485.jpg

Finally, if you want your Euro to sound even closer to a NS-2, then replace the TP with the Haz 9V. BD has it in stock too.

Enjoy!

Edited by Eldon Tyrell
Grammar
  • Like 2